Latest Posts

Topic: multiplayer tournament 2020

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-05, 19:53

it's time to announce this year's summer multiplayer's tournament, as traditional every year since 2015.

however, before declaring the maps and conditions, i would like to start a bit of discussion to see if it would be possible to make a team tournament.

So, if we have enough people interested (at least 20, for 10 teams, and with a majority of preference for 2v2) I will declare a 2v2 tournament. Otherwise, it will be just a regular 1v1. provided we have at least 12 participants, otherwise no tournament.

in one week i'll see how this goes and officialize the maps and conditions.

would participate so far 12 people

so, we play 2v2 on 5 rounds with round robin pairing

king of nowhere, worldsavior, the-x, hessenfarmer, ektor, niekory, stefan, tando, charney, notabilis, hasi50, mars, modellbahnerTT

teams:

the-x worldsavior

king of nowhere mars

niektory ektor

stefan tando (stef_tan)

Hasi50 hessenfarmer (hasifarmer)

notabilis modellbahnerTT

results

(1 is victory for team on the left, 0 for team on top)

the-world king of mars niEKTORy stef_tan hasifarmer Nottabahner won-lost
the-world N\A 1 1 1 1 4-0
king of mars N\A N\A 0 1 1-2
niEKTORy N\A N\A N\A 1 1 3-1
stef_tan N\A N\A N\A N\A 0-0
hasifarmer N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A 1 1-3
Nottabahner N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A 0-3

bracket

the-world king of mars niEKTORy stef_tan hasifarmer Nottabahner
the-world N\A map 1 map 2 map 3 map 4 (B) map 5
king of mars N\A N\A map 4 map 2 (B) map 5 map 3 (B)
niEKTORy N\A N\A N\A map 5 map 3 (B) map 1
stef_tan N\A N\A N\A N\A map 1 map 4 (B)
hasifarmer N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A map 2
Nottabahner N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A N\A

1 wisent valley, blue green vs red yellow

2 ice wars, blue red vs grey orange (condition is autocrat but conquering the main continent will count as a win even if there is an unkillable colony on an island)

3 full moon v2, blue red vs green yellow

4 desert tournament, blue red vs green yellow

5 four castles, blue red vs green yellow

if there is a (B) in the table, the team on the left has the blue position. otherwise, the other team has the blue position.

possible playing times (all times are central european summer time)

• king of nowhere: most days from 14 to 24

• worldsavior: sunday 14-24, saturday 14-19, most days 20-23

• niektory: between 14 and 20 most days

• the-x: 14 on weekends if possible

• mars: sundays most days, week days around 20

• ektor: "almost all days"

• tando: evening (19-23)

• hessenfarmer: evening (20-23) and m,aybe sunday afternoon

• stefan: mostly on evenings

• notabilis: most days after 19

the rules, for those who don't know them yet

Rules

SHORTENED VERSION (see the full version for details)

the tournament will be played with the swiss system.

the pairings will be declared at the beginning of every turn, so keep an eye on the forum. once the turns are declared, contact your opponent and set up your game. after the game, notify the result to me and send me the replay.

there will be one week to play normally, and one week overtime. People are expected to play in the first week. Going overtime is penalized, except in a few specific cases, most notably if you start a game without finishing it, or if you announced in advance you would be missing for a few days. after two weeks, games not played will be assigned by forfait as a loss to both players, except for a few cases. Games started but still ongoing will be assigned by a judge, generally as draw unless there are good reasons not to. In no case a game will be allowed to continue after two weeks, as all the results will be needed to make the new turn.

I, king of nowhere, will be the arbiter for all disputations. However, in the interest of having a judge who is not a player and therefore potentially biased, some old and respected player willl be appointed the supreme arbiter. If you think my judgment was unfair, you can appeal to him, but you have then to accept his decision.

FULL VERSION

0) basics

Playing which map? For each game, there is a predetermined map. They have all been announced now.
Playing which tribe? Choice is free. If both players want to see what the other picks first, blue player has to pick first
The game version should be the newest version amazon 7461.  Make sure to take care that every player in a match uses the same game version.
Games are hosted by one of the players or another person. If you need to find someone to host for you, ask in the IRC chat.
After every game, all players send a private message to king_of_nowhere with
    I won! / I lost
    Someone will post the replay in the replay thread https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/4883/?page=1#post-33618
    Please also add the version of the game (as that is important to be able to watch the replays).

1) pairings and ranking.

The tournament will be played with a swiss system pairing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament). Basically, first turn is paired at random, who wins get one point, draws (can happen by agreement between the players, or by either players failing to win after a long time) are awarded half a point. For further turns, players are paired against other players with an equal score, so winning will progressively give you harder opponents, and losing will give you easier opponents. Nobody will be eliminated.

There will be five or six turns, depending on the number of players

The final ranking will obviously be given according to the score. To sort players with equal score, the Bucholz system will be used: the Bucholz score of each player will be calculated as the sum of the scores of all his opponents; a higher score means one has played against stronger opponents. If two players also have the same Bucholz score, they will be ranked according to how their direct game ended, if they did play against each other. Otherwise, the tie will not be resolved. Exception to the whole Bucholz mechanism is for deciding the winner.

If there is an odd number of participants, a forfait will be included, i.e. a virtual player who will always lose without playing. If one player retires, a forfeit will be put in his place. So a forfeit is a free win, but since the forfait will lose all games, it will sink your bucholz face-smile.png If there are two forfeits, they will be eliminated.

After the last round, if one player leads the ranking alone, he will be the winner. If there are several ex-aequo winners, then they will play a second phase with round-robin rules (everyone plays against everyone else). If that also ends without a clear winner, then direct encounters will be used to break the tie, both from the first and second phase. If there is a tie there too, then the involved players will be declared winners ex-aequo.

after the game, the players must send the replay of the game by email to me, at lainluigi86/at/tiscali.it. It is enough for one player to send it, but sending it twice to be safe cannot hurt.

2) time schedule

Ideally there should be one round per week, but up to two weeks is considered an acceptable delay. Never a turn will last more than two weeks. Therefore, when a round is started, every player is expected to play within one week. Since people from different time zones cannot reasonably play except on weekends, and need a couple days to set up a game, if the turn is declared thursday or later in the week, the deadline to play will be extended until the next sunday. Taking more than one week to play will entail penalties, and after two weeks the game will be assigned by the arbitral decision **as detailed below**:

If two players fail to play within one week, then they will be penalized by -1 point on their bucholz score. If they accumulate 3 such penalties, it will instead be commuted to 0.5 points in the score (so it could make you lose the tournament if you were tied up for the first place). If they still have not played after two weeks, the game will be assigned as lost to both of them. A few exceptions below:

if it can be demonstrated that the delay was clearly the fault of one player (for example, if one player failed to be there at the appointed time of the game, or if one was only available for very narrow time windows while the other was much more available) then only the player at fault will be penalized. After two weeks, the game will be won by forfait by the player declared not at fault. Of course, if you failed to play and think it was not your fault - or not only your fault - you should send me some kind of proof that your opponent set an unreasonable schedule. Copy of mailed messages is the preferred method.

if two players did play for some time but had to interrupt the game and continue from a reload at a later date, they will not be penalized for taking more than one week. At the end of two weeks, if they produced at least 6 hours of in-game gameplay (taking into account game speed; they can get away with only playing 2 hours if they used 3x speed for example) and they sent the replays to me and still there is no victor, then the game will be considered draw unless one player has a clear advantage.

If one player will notify in advance that he will have problems playing one week, he will not be penalized for going overtime; but please don't do it too often. If he still can't play after the two-weeks deadline, he will be declared loser by forfait, but will not face any more penalties. If you know you cannot play, you can try to agree a draw with another player with a similar score: if you find one willing, I'll try to manipulate the turn so that you can be paired against each other and get a draw by agreement.

3) arbitral decisions

Since I, king of nowhere, cannot be considered an impartial arbiter on this matter, since I will also be a player, someone else, an old and trusted player who will not be participating this time, will be the final arbiter for deciding which players should be penalized for tardiness and how to assign unfinished games. The arbiter is still to be declared. Though I will make the first decision in any game, anyone can appeal to him if he believes my decision is unfair.

It was never necessary to appear to the final arbiter, though. This has always been a clean and sportsmanlike community. Let's try to keep it that way.

4) lack of communication

If one consistently fails to answer communications (i.e. never answering, or never discussing game schedule; missing one message is acceptable) for more than one week, he's considered retired from the tournament.

5) bug/glitch abuse

Abusing of bugs and glitches will be forbidden, on penalty of losing the game by forfait. However, a specific action has to be declared as bug abuse in advance, so you will not be penalized until I step in and forbid the practice.

So far, the only known practice that is considered glitch abuse is blocking a port space without unloading all the wares.
Edited: 2020-09-08, 15:38

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-05, 20:09

I'm very interested, especially in 2vs2 face-smile.png

Thanks

Edited: 2020-05-05, 20:10

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-05, 20:19

I am interested and would like to test 2v2 as well. in case 2v2 I would suggest to have a variety of options in the conditions. so maybe our long neglected shared Hq can see some more testing and probably improvement.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-05, 21:54

Some weeks ago world asked me if we host a 2v2 Tournament. But im also fine if you host it.

Anyway this should not mean that we cancel the standard Tournament 2020?

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-05, 22:46

the-x wrote:

Anyway this should not mean that we cancel the standard Tournament 2020?

if we get the team tournament going, that would be the standard 2020 tournament as far as i'm concerned

Top Quote
ektor
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-05-05, 23:28

If there is a tournament, I'll participate face-smile.png

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-05-05, 23:36

A team tournament sounds fun face-smile.png

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-06, 22:57

the-x wrote:

Some weeks ago world asked me if we host a 2v2 Tournament. But im also fine if you host it.

My idea was never to organize a tournament which doesn't harmonize with KoN's tournament series. I thought about organizing a "League of Widelands", which is a little bit different to the tournaments, but that's another story...

So, the idea would be to not organize something which happens at the same time as KoN's tournament.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-08, 10:58

nobody else? we're stuck at just 6 people? i can't believe there aren't more players

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-08, 19:35

You announced it three days ago, so I'm not surprised. Maybe the people need more time. It's also possible that they need more informations (like rules, times, maps and modes).

Oh, and last year an important factor for the participant number might have been the announcement on social media pages. Or was it because I texted some forum users and asked them if they want to participate?

By the way, I've seen now that the name "niektory" contains the name "ektor". In case they would team up they could be team "niEKTORy" face-wink.png

Top Quote