Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-26, 19:12

Notabilis wrote:

I would like to participate as well.

Awesome!

king_of_nowhere wrote:

can we get 2 more?

I think so - my advertising (of few days ago) already motivated Notabilis to participate, so chances are good that at least 2 more participants might follow face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Hasi50
Version: 1.2 (selfcompiled master etc)
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-05-26, 19:14

OK, please enlist me, my schedulle may be challenging, but this should be fun.

Here are the widelands where people may dwell, walking around care that evrythings well.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-27, 18:10

Well, now as we are 11 particpants, the "forfait player" / dummy player would be number 12. Isn't that enough?

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-28, 14:53

Ok for me

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-29, 05:15

very well, we can make it.

any suggestions for the maps? I started thinking of them, and i realized that I am very rusty with the game (i have too many other hobbies competing for my free time) and don't remember most maps.

crater is one, as it's one of the most iconic maps for multiplayer duels that hasn't been used the past two years. After that i'd need another small map, two middle sized map, and one large map.

alternatively, I just realized that if we got another player, we could make a 2v2 tournament with 6 teams, 5 rounds with round robin pairing, which would perhaps be preferrable.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-29, 08:46

king_of_nowhere wrote:

very well, we can make it.

Nice!

any suggestions for the maps?

yes

crater is one, as it's one of the most iconic maps for multiplayer duels that hasn't been used the past two years. After that i'd need another small map,

This one: https://www.widelands.org/maps/rechteck-tal/

(very balanced)

Or this one, yellow vs black: https://www.widelands.org/maps/pro-map-1-blitzrunde-v2/

(also balanced or very balanced)

two middle sized map,

Wisent Valley, Red vs Green. Soon I might make another suggestion...

and one large map.

This one, blue vs yellow: https://www.widelands.org/maps/cycles-8-players/

(completely balanced)

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-29, 11:47

wisent valley is a good one. I don't like the other three though, they look too geometric and artificial.

(yes, that same criticism was made to a couple of my challenge maps, and i dismissed that as "of course they look artificial, they are artificially made to provide the challenge". well, those maps are artificially made to be symmetric, and therefore perfectly balanced. turns out i can accept an artificial look in a challenge map better than i can in a tournament map)

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-29, 18:57

king_of_nowhere wrote:

wisent valley is a good one. I don't like the other three though, they look too geometric and artificial.

(yes, that same criticism was made to a couple of my challenge maps, and i dismissed that as "of course they look artificial, they are artificially made to provide the challenge". well, those maps are artificially made to be symmetric, and therefore perfectly balanced. turns out i can accept an artificial look in a challenge map better than i can in a tournament map)

Okay, what about the following?

Short distance:

• The great escape, yellow vs green

medium distance

• The great escape, black vs red

big distances

• The great escape, ochre vs purple

• The big lake, red vs black - or blue vs green (huge matches with autocrat)

Edited: 2020-05-29, 18:57

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-30, 11:20

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Yes, Wisent Vallöey is a very nice map, with the strating positions ws mentioned. Also Crater is a nice copmpetitive map and personally i like the one of Hasi very much, Crossriver which has if you take a very close look so many strategical options, since it is on both sides - or you can expand to all four sides.

Knowing that this map is a bit small, maybe we create more competitive maps like this, maybe also a combination of Fjords, where your space is limited and you think wisely which buildings comes next, or how to gain a 2 or 2 ground for a building. And of course with the combination of Crossriver where you can expand to all directions.

Top Quote