Latest Posts

Topic: multiplayer tournament 2020

WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 1682
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: North of Germany
Posted at: 2020-05-30, 21:03

king_of_nowhere wrote:

welcome!

so, maps. desert tournament is pretty much a must in 2v2.

I disagree. The map isn't really fun for 4 players, not enough space...

I would like to use dolomites for a tournament eventually, but i don't think it's balanced enough.

I also think that it's not balanced enough, so I'd be against it...


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 1682
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: North of Germany
Posted at: 2020-05-30, 21:08

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I still can take suggestions

What if every team puts exactly one map to the pool? Best compromise for a round robin tournament?

Okay, that would be one map too much, but then we can decide to let one map be for a final round or something like this. For example by a poll.

Edited: 2020-05-30, 21:09

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Avatar
Joined: 2014-09-15, 18:35
Posts: 1635
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-30, 21:53

also, teams. pick your teammates.

i'd rather not play with worldsavior because i'd like the tournament to be a bit balanced, and i'd rather not play with the-x because of some unfriendly interactions. besides that, i don't have special preferences.


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 1682
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: North of Germany
Posted at: 2020-05-30, 21:56

the-x and me are going to play together. How should we call us? World-x?

Edited: 2020-05-30, 21:56

Top Quote
the-x
Avatar
Joined: 2019-01-19, 13:23
Posts: 473
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2020-05-31, 10:08

WorldSavior wrote:

the-x and me are going to play together. How should we call us? World-x?

XWorld maybe ;D or something else, we can also use your username or the known "World Supreme Leaders"


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 1682
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: North of Germany
Posted at: 2020-06-01, 21:12

What about using a modification of the Swiss Pairing system? In the algorithm the first team doesn't play against the strongest team which it didn't face yet, but against the weakest and so on. That way, the two best teams of the tournament can have some "final round" at the end.

One could also divide all teams at the beginning into two "pots", one stronger pot where teams with former tournament winners and another pot. The first pairing would be then Pot 1 against Pot 2.


Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Avatar
Joined: 2014-09-15, 18:35
Posts: 1635
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-06-01, 21:50

me and mars play together. we don't have a name, though.

WorldSavior wrote:

What about using a modification of the Swiss Pairing system? In the algorithm the first team doesn't play against the strongest team which it didn't face yet, but against the weakest and so on. That way, the two best teams of the tournament can have some "final round" at the end.

One could also divide all teams at the beginning into two "pots", one stronger pot where teams with former tournament winners and another pot. The first pairing would be then Pot 1 against Pot 2.

there's no need for any algorithm, because we are 6 teams for 5 rounds. we play round robin.

as a general concept, your proposal is what is actually done in chess tournaments nowadays. I don't like it, though, and many other people don't like it, because it means often enough the strongest players don't face each other at all. you often get tournaments where the first did not play against the second.

it's less of a problem here because we have less players and draws are virtually non exhistant, so the strongest players are still forced to converge.


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 1682
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: North of Germany
Posted at: 2020-06-01, 22:00

After some discussion , our teamname will be "the-world"

king_of_nowhere wrote:

me and mars play together. we don't have a name, though.

What about "kings_of_mars"? face-wink.png

WorldSavior wrote:

What about using a modification of the Swiss Pairing system? In the algorithm the first team doesn't play against the strongest team which it didn't face yet, but against the weakest and so on. That way, the two best teams of the tournament can have some "final round" at the end.

One could also divide all teams at the beginning into two "pots", one stronger pot where teams with former tournament winners and another pot. The first pairing would be then Pot 1 against Pot 2.

there's no need for any algorithm, because we are 6 teams for 5 rounds. we play round robin.

I know. The algorithm could increase the tension though and would make a complicated scheduling superflouus.

as a general concept, your proposal is what is actually done in chess tournaments nowadays. I don't like it, though, and many other people don't like it, because it means often enough the strongest players don't face each other at all. you often get tournaments where the first did not play against the second.

it's less of a problem here because we have less players and draws are virtually non exhistant, so the strongest players are still forced to converge.

Not only "less of a problem" but not a problem at all, as every team plays against every other team one time.


Top Quote
Stefan
Avatar
Joined: 2015-06-24, 21:42
Posts: 7
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-06-02, 21:45

Who is still looking for a team mate? I don't have any specific preferences. I think best would be a amateur german player like myself. That would make it easier to speak during the games. But english is okay as well. face-smile.png


Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Avatar
Joined: 2014-09-15, 18:35
Posts: 1635
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-06-02, 22:36

are there any more map suggestions before i pick them?

also, sorrry if i'm a bit unresponsive, i'm pretty busy in this time. i will be much better in a couple weeks.


Top Quote