Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-06, 22:33

Is the tournament over now?

Two players have vanished, another one doesn't want to search a new teammate, so...

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 00:12

i guess so

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 15:54

I am very happy how good my strategy worked in the final game. Though there were some small building mistakes in the beginning it was a nice rush with economy elements like iron coal and double food production combined with some half heroes in my eyes the strongest strategy existing if you manage to play with maximal expansion. I knew our strong opponents from some games before and was very surprised witch such a strong push that was in practical not even close.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 17:56

Also some thoughts by me about the three-quarter-final: Not surprisingly mars played blue and king_of_nowhere green. the-x played red, I played yellow. Everyone played Atlanteans - the map is extremely Atlantean-friendly. On the map there has been no interaction between mars and me (same goes for the-x and king_of_nowhere), so it was rather 2 parallel 1vs1-matches than a true 2vs2.

king_of_nowhere surprised me with an early attack of labyrinth-trained soldiers, so my strategy to invest early into a toolsmith was not optimal against that. However I managed to destroy the attack before my headquarters because I had trained a supersoldier in time. king_of_nowhere tried to counter that one with two highly trained soldiers, but they had only like 20% win chances. The first one lost in a very tight duel and the other one didn't even fight because my opponent surrendered before.

In the north of the map, the-x simply played his favorite strategy (early attack with half-trained soldiers), and mars didn't find a solution against that. Building up some economy close to the opponent made it just worse, appearently. Especially the mines which mars build in the north east instead of the north west or the south west.

the-x wrote:

I am very happy how good my strategy worked in the final game. Though there were some small building mistakes in the beginning it was a nice rush with economy elements like iron coal and double food production combined with some half heroes in my eyes the strongest strategy existing if you manage to play with maximal expansion.

Maybe that strategy is the best on even smaller maps, but on wisent valley it might be even stronger to defend with supersoldiers.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 18:58

WorldSavior wrote:

Also some thoughts by me about the three-quarter-final: Not surprisingly mars played blue and king_of_nowhere green. the-x played red, I played yellow. Everyone played Atlanteans - the map is extremely Atlantean-friendly. On the map there has been no interaction between mars and me (same goes for the-x and king_of_nowhere), so it was rather 2 parallel 1vs1-matches than a true 2vs2.

king_of_nowhere surprised me with an early attack of labyrinth-trained soldiers, so my strategy to invest early into a toolsmith was not optimal against that. However I managed to destroy the attack before my headquarters because I had trained a supersoldier in time. king_of_nowhere tried to counter that one with two highly trained soldiers, but they had only like 20% win chances. The first one lost in a very tight duel and the other one didn't even fight because my opponent surrendered before.

In the north of the map, the-x simply played his favorite strategy (early attack with half-trained soldiers), and mars didn't find a solution against that. Building up some economy close to the opponent made it just worse, appearently. Especially the mines which mars build in the north east instead of the north west or the south west.

normally i start on the defensive, because i am confident that in the long run my economy will prevail.

in this case, though, i knew there was no way i could beat worldsavior on economy. same with mars vs the-x. so i figured my best hope was to attack fast and hope to get lucky. obviously, i wasn't.

if starting positions had been inverted, we would have probably done better, as i was more likely to survive the-x rush. still, the chances to kill the-x fast enough to go 2v1 on worldsavior would have been slim regardless.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-07, 20:08

king_of_nowhere wrote:

same with mars vs the-x.

okay, that surprises me

if starting positions had been inverted, we would have probably done better, as i was more likely to survive the-x rush.

I think the opposite would have been the case: the-x' half-heroes would have been devastating against your labyrinth-soldiers and i would have build up even stronger (economy). At the other hand, you might have defeated the-x with the help of supersoldiers and strong defense.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-09-08, 00:10

WorldSavior wrote:

I think the opposite would have been the case: the-x' half-heroes would have been devastating against your labyrinth-soldiers

how effective are those soldiers really? two labyrinth soldiers in a row have a good chance of killing those half-heroes, and they are expensive. it is one of the reasons i try to avoid half promoted soldiers, they are still easily lost, but already expensive.

it would probably be worth checking.

Top Quote
ektor
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2020-09-08, 07:43

I see that you played in 4 pieces.

At first I noticed that the-x takes up very little territory, and then goes straight to the opponent. And have a better productivity.

No need mines apparently with Atlateans... Also, no one built a weave smith in the early minutes, only the weaving shop and the weapon factory.

Thank you for this match and your comments.

And which team win ? I'm not sure ! face-grin.png

Edited: 2020-09-08, 08:17

Top Quote