Latest Posts

Topic: New Immovables

Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-08-10, 13:37

chuckw wrote: Just an FYI to let everyone know that Astuur's new stones have been pushed to the development trunk with rev #5931.

So I wanted to have a look and what do I have to say?

Error: [~/widelands/src/graphic/render/animationgfx.cc:166] could not load animation frame worlds/greenland/sstones1/idle_1.png: [~/widelands/src/graphic/render/animationgfx.cc:110] wrong size: (40, 61), should be (70, 66) like the first frame

I had a look at the pictures mentioned and saw that the idle_0.png is one of the new boulders, whereas the idle_1.png and idle_2.png are on of the old sstones (does that mean „standing stones“?), with a strap on the upper end, moving in the wind. As there is no such a strap around the new one, there is no need for an idle-animation, right?

To have a further look into the game, I set pics=idle_0.png but I’m pretty sure, there is another way. I don’t think, a bug report is necessary, is it?

Edit: Same problem occured with the desert’s sstone1. I suppose, that are not the only ones.

Edited: 2011-08-10, 13:43

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-10, 13:46

Venatrix wrote:

chuckw wrote: Just an FYI to let everyone know that Astuur's new stones have been pushed to the development trunk with rev #5931.

So I wanted to have a look and what do I have to say?

Error: [~/widelands/src/graphic/render/animationgfx.cc:166] could not load animation frame worlds/greenland/sstones1/idle_1.png: [~/widelands/src/graphic/render/animationgfx.cc:110] wrong size: (40, 61), should be (70, 66) like the first frame

I had a look at the pictures mentioned and saw that the idle_0.png is one of the new boulders, whereas the idle_1.png and idle_2.png are on of the old sstones (does that mean „standing stones“?), with a strap on the upper end, moving in the wind. As there is no such a strap around the new one, there is no need for an idle-animation, right? To have a further look into the game, I set pics=idle_0.png but I’m pretty sure, there is another way. I don’t think, a bug report is necessary, is it?

I'll address this error of MINE immediately. No bug report is required. I overlooked deleting the older animation frames. Thanks for your speedy observation! I'll post here when I've made amends. In the mean time, you should be able to circumvent the error you encountered by merely deleting the idle_1.png and idle_2.png files. YOu may want to check the other worlds. (I know I will!)

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-10, 14:06

Corrections have been pushed to the development trunk in rev #5932. Sorry for my oversight.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-08-23, 14:09

Hi, Chuck, seems you did overlook some more things… After the latest update (rev #5948) there is a new problem with the sstones1-data:

[~/widelands/src/graphic/render/animationgfx.cc:219] animation worlds/greenland/sstones1/idle has no frames

Same message for Blackland and Desert, I suppose Winterland, too (don’t have a savegame there to try). The problem can be solved with renaming the idle_0.png to idle.png (don’t forget to change in the conf file, too face-wink.png ).

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-23, 14:59

Actually, it looks like Nasenbaer has addressed it already with rev #5949.

Thank you, Peter. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-23, 15:09

This may be a good place to share what Peter did to resolve the issue.

Nasenbaer wrote: Hi Chuck, face-smile.png

I just refixed the states for all sstones1 - took me quite some minutes to understand the problem :-D, so I just wanted to share my experience:

the picture= entry in immovable conf files is only used for the immovable list user interface in the editor. If you add an animation section like [idle], but do not add pics= entry to it, Widelands will try to load the animation from sectionname.png - so in this case from idle.png

at first I thought about rewriting the code, but after I understood it, I think it's quite "intuitive" ... (once you know about the behaviour at least face-wink.png )

Thanks again, Peter.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-08-23, 16:37

Yes, and he did exactly what I did. face-wink.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Siegfried
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-11-16, 19:52

What about flowers? That would bring more color into the game. And maybe updated bushes too.

What i think of these in general: Objects taking no space (like the bushes) but just looking nice. And additionally not that static as the current bushes. Somehow they should behave more like the trees. So let's assume a bush as an example, as it is.

1. The bush should stay green for ome time. Obout 1/5th of the time a grown-up tree stands. Then it should transform (grow?) into next step. All times individual for a given type.

2. The bush should get some colors. Think of flowers or fruits. Stay like this for some short time.

3. Next it should seed some bushes (not too many) and vanish (remove)

4. The seeded bushes should first stay for some time invisible (just a blank object, not occupying any space). Then gro into a small bush (sized down image of current bush).

5. The small bush should stay that way some short time, then grow into standard bush.

Something similar could be done with flowers, but significantly shorter times. Both could bring much more color into the game. And additional this would make the map somewhat moe dynamical, without changing any gameplay aspect. Just some random colors.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-11-16, 20:30

Note that there are already quite some immovables of size none in the game (like mushrooms for example). More are always better of course. I am not so fond of the cycles in the lifetime of the bushes in your example because that would convey a sense of "seasons" or "passing of time" which is something that the rest of widelands is in denial off. This proofs quite a problem for storytelling from time to because how long does it take to build a house in widelands? A settlement? Wage a fight? Still, I fell better to keep the concept of time out of the visuals of the game completely.

Top Quote
Siegfried
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-11-16, 20:47

Well, in fact there are no seasons in widelands. And, as at other location already someone stated: reality in widelands is not more than reality in chess. So just forget about the seasons. Greenlands will always be greenlands. And in winterland it would be possible to omit these flowers. In desert and blacklands as well. Maybe in blacklands implement some geysirs or lava eruptions as "plants", popping off from time to time, beeing invisible most of the time. BTW, these blackland objects might be of some size, blocking building.

So what remains is a simple decorative effect. So lets assume 3 types of flowers, with colors red, blue and yellow. Nice, bright colors embedded within some green like the grass images. Overall lifetime beeing some multiple of some primes, let's say 5, 7 and 11. This would result in some nearly random color added to the landscape. That's all.

Of course more flowers would look more beautiful.

Top Quote