Latest Posts

Topic: New Immovables

Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-04-29, 17:26

Yep, suggestions are nice, actual contribution is better.
You've brought us a long way, Chuck; it's about time you got some help.
Well, okay -- trying to help a bit myself, although my talent is definitely not with artwork, I'm afraid.
I picked what seemed least challenging, of course face-smile.png
Here is a model of a large and massive bolder. I wanted something like this (unminable and blocking) for the mapmakers.
They're again 2d -- still can't find my way inside blender face-sad.png
Getting the shadow and the alpha channel right, was bad enough for me today. We'll need more of those in the end,so that we can vary the bolders a bit.
Somebody must tell me what needs to be done to declare this as blocking; currently is is not.
I have tried to choose a size that would not totally hide even the smallest buildings, but
the hotspot may still need some tweaking.
Actually a little by-work looks nice on the houses, maybe we could have things like an linden tree next to the tavern?
There are 4 version of the bolder, one each for the different worlds.
They are similar enough to be recognizable for what the are, but of course not identical.
I have tried to match the colors with the respective worlds's pattern and colors. The size is roughly 70 x 70 pixels.
Here is a montage of my models in their proper environment.
Here
I know that the color of the greenland stone does not exactly match the quarry stones,
but I honestly would rather try to rework those -- I think they look a little artificial
and sterile with their coloring and shape.
The PNGs themselves are here for download.

Edit: Just found out they are blocking after all, if put in the right place!

Edited: 2011-04-29, 17:33

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-04-30, 16:40

Nice work! I like the look of those boulders.

Top Quote
fraang

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2011-04-30, 20:34

Astuur I think you have talent! The rocks fit very well into the lanscape. Especially the greenland one. face-wink.png It is only a bit blurry and blackland one have some "sharp" edges. A bit of fine tune and this could be a very great new immoveable in the game. face-grin.png

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-01, 05:35

I don't manage to get them sharper at that this pixel size.
What exactly do you mean, by those "sharp edges" of the blackland variant?
Can you show me, Fraang?
and is unsuitable?

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
fraang

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2011-05-01, 15:25

I mean this black pixels around the rock: Sharp edges BTW it is a simple technique to take a rock texture and lay a mask over them. This would avoid these pixels and make the seams more smooth.

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-05-02, 16:01

in blender there is something called "premultiply" wich would solve that... i dunno, can it be used? if not, open gimp, select the transparent, in german its like "auswahl-> auswahl ausblenden" type in a small number like 1 or 2 and then hit erase... i never realy thought about what it would be called in english... installing language-package face-smile.png

Edited: 2011-05-02, 16:07

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-02, 19:01

friends,
Don't go out of your way to help me do this!
I am not much experienced with this, but getting rid of those jaggies, is something, I can do, hopefully.
I hoped I could get away with it calling it a dark shadow, but you're right of course face-wink.png
more to come...

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-03, 08:09

Okay, tried to correct tose things (and to avoid it with the new models).

Here are 5 new stones for all the worlds.
All of them are quite big, and I realize that smaller stones are needed, too.
Someone else, maybe?
The Rar archive, that you can download here
will replace the asparagus-type immovables with the new models for testing purposes.
Give me your verdict, please.... I hope you are not too critical, 'cause I'm a bit tired of this already face-smile.png
No ... I will try to fix it, of course, if criticism becomes to loud. face-smile.png

Problem: The stones do not work, like I hoped they would.
They are "blocking" in a sense that they can forbid big buildings, and change the place to a medium size one.
However, building anything near enough in the game, will let them vanish - so they are not indestructible.
Also, you can build roads underneath them, animals and carriers walk "under" the stones, and trees grow under them.
All of this should not happen IMO.

This is not the type of blocking, that I had initially in mind.
Does anyone know, what to do about it?
Also, I do not know how to inlcude them, without replacing something else.

And Chuck should decide about the further fate of these things.

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-05-03, 11:27

Did you set size=small/medium/big in the conf file?

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-03, 17:29

Nope, haven't done anything to the conf file yet.
So I quess it will matter -- will try!
thanks Ixprefect!

Top Quote