Latest Posts

Topic: Add new official maps?

tothxa
Avatar
Topic Opener
Joined: 2021-03-24, 11:44
Posts: 448
OS: antix / Debian
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-01-05, 16:10

I believe it's been quite a while since new official maps were added to Widelands. Maybe we could select some from the homepage and the add-ons, preferably already well tested ones.

The most obvious choices are the maps that were used in past tournaments (with the exception of Inselkrieger which is an interesting idea but needs reimplementing to fix the differences between the islands):

  • Crater Lake – regardless of the blocking possibility, this is a good and nicely designed map that just needs a note about the blocking in its description
  • Forest Valley
  • Plateau from the Naval Tournament 23 add-on mapset
  • (the original versions of maps used in the 2021 tournament that are based on non-official maps?)

We can also collect further suggestions here, but we should require some number of "sponsors" who also attest that they have also tested the map themselves, or something like that.

Most notably, we need more maps that depend strongly on seafaring for the naval warfare feature.


Top Quote
kaputtnik
Avatar
Joined: 2013-02-18, 19:48
Posts: 2456
OS: Archlinux
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Germany
Posted at: 2024-01-05, 16:55

Oh yes, good idea!

tothxa wrote:

  • Crater Lake – regardless of the blocking possibility, this is a good and nicely designed map that just needs a note about the blocking in its description

There are already two maps of this kind official: "Crater" and "Glacier Lake". So -1 from my side.

+1, with the exception that the useless portspaces will be removed. Reason is this bugreport

  • Plateau from the Naval Tournament 23 add-on mapset

+1

Personally i like the maps from Oipun very much. e.g. Kingdom of Borneo.

Another suggestion: The Islands of the eight tribes


It's a pity that maps uploaded in the past don't get any votes.


Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
tothxa
Avatar
Topic Opener
Joined: 2021-03-24, 11:44
Posts: 448
OS: antix / Debian
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-01-06, 16:39

kaputtnik wrote:

  • Crater Lake – regardless of the blocking possibility, this is a good and nicely designed map that just needs a note about the blocking in its description

There are already two maps of this kind official: "Crater" and "Glacier Lake". So -1 from my side.

Both of those maps have a much smaller usable area than "Crater Lake", plus the stone blocks in "Crater Lake" make sure games are longer, giving each player enough time to build up for the battle, while "Crater" is for speed games (probably "Glacier Lake" too by the looks, but I haven't played on it). Though "Crater" and "Crater Lake" are indeed very close both in name and first looks in the map browser.

+1, with the exception that the useless portspaces will be removed. Reason is this bugreport

IMO the proposed tournament version has a reasonable distance between port spaces (of course, because I edited it :)), and they make the game interesting. They also mitigate the possibility of blocking the middle (like WorldSavior did against you).

As for the bug, I think the link is wrong (that bug looks unrelated). Did you mean the known-portspace spamming issue? That has just been fixed in protected/navalwarfare. face-smile.png


Top Quote
kaputtnik
Avatar
Joined: 2013-02-18, 19:48
Posts: 2456
OS: Archlinux
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Germany
Posted at: 2024-01-06, 17:58

tothxa wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

+1, with the exception that the useless portspaces will be removed. Reason is this bugreport

IMO the proposed tournament version has a reasonable distance between port spaces (of course, because I edited it :)), and they make the game interesting. They also mitigate the possibility of blocking the middle (like WorldSavior did against you).

As for the bug, I think the link is wrong (that bug looks unrelated). Did you mean the known-portspace spamming issue? That has just been fixed in protected/navalwarfare. face-smile.png

I know that the spamming bug was fixed face-wink.png I mean the problem that this map can have useless fleets due to the small rivers have no passable connection to the big river. The AI may build ports on the small rivers which is just useless and cause malfunctions, imho.


Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
tothxa
Avatar
Topic Opener
Joined: 2021-03-24, 11:44
Posts: 448
OS: antix / Debian
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-01-06, 18:31

kaputtnik wrote:

I know that the spamming bug was fixed face-wink.png

Oh, sorry.

I mean the problem that this map can have useless fleets due to the small rivers have no passable connection to the big river. The AI may build ports on the small rivers which is just useless and cause malfunctions, imho.

Yes, that was indeed a hard decision when I edited the map, and the current situation is somewhat a trap. However if we remove the portspaces from the small side rivers, it's still possible for a badly placed shipyard to build ships there. (IIRC it happened to hessenfarmer and some other player too) So if we must solve it, I'd rather remove the sand pads blocking ships (and the rocks on them, but keeping the ones on the shores). Though I think it's a really nice touch of the map that your workers can cross the river there. But yes, removing those fords makes the map depend even more on ferries and ships, which is probably a good thing.


Top Quote
kaputtnik
Avatar
Joined: 2013-02-18, 19:48
Posts: 2456
OS: Archlinux
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Germany
Posted at: 2024-03-01, 13:47

Other suggestions, just used the most rated, optically appealing and commented maps:

If we add some new official maps, some old maps should be removed.


Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Avatar
Joined: 2017-01-17, 17:07
Posts: 1971
OS: Debian Testing
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: 0x55555d3a34c0
Posted at: 2024-03-01, 18:37

Accurate Europe is a great map, +1. However its 1.0 version has some problems with the rivers, which the 1.1 version claims to address, but that map is only three days old, so I'm not sure about which one to pick…

Personally I find Islands Of The Eight Tribes rather too bland, it makes for good gameplay but I would dispute the "optically appealing" part face-wink.png

From above, +1 for Forest Valley and Plateau and -1 for Crater Lake.

I haven't played any of the other suggested maps.


What about dropping any official maps? We should not have too many, so if we add e.g. two new larger 1v1 maps then a similar but less good map should be dropped. How about Islands at War or The Far North.


Top Quote
tothxa
Avatar
Topic Opener
Joined: 2021-03-24, 11:44
Posts: 448
OS: antix / Debian
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-03-01, 23:01

I don't think we have so many official maps that we should remove some just because we're adding new ones. Of course, removing some because of quality issues is a different matter. However I disagree about removing The Far North (I actually even played it recently). And having looked at Islands at War in the editor, I think it looks much better in game than on the minimap, only it should be edited to give player 2 some coal near its starting position too.


Top Quote
kaputtnik
Avatar
Joined: 2013-02-18, 19:48
Posts: 2456
OS: Archlinux
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Germany
Posted at: 2024-03-05, 17:37

Ok, i've played Egyptian Mandala v1.1: But it has only one port space, but i believe initially it had more. My guess is that port space detection might have been changed… The map has little resources but i think this makes it interesting. If some port spaces get readded/reenabled this could be a good candidate, imho.


Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Avatar
Joined: 2017-01-17, 17:07
Posts: 1971
OS: Debian Testing
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: 0x55555d3a34c0
Posted at: 2024-03-05, 18:02

Egyptian Mandala is from 2013 (made with build 17 or earlier). Portspaces used to be medium plots initially, so any very old maps with portspaces need manual editing. Long Long Way had the same problem when it was readded.


Top Quote