At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2023-07-22, 00:49

the-x wrote:

2 new maps extra done with much work in detailling for our Sea Tournament:
https://www.widelands.org/maps/die-vier-wikinger/
https://www.widelands.org/maps/wikinger-die-fjorde-seefahrer-turnierkarte/

To the maps for the Tournament, maybe we should also consider:

• how are ressources set
  • what retreat offers the map for players (important when a stronger player pushes a weaker player back so he is still in the game / has a chance)
  • how realistic does the map look
  • natural design

most imporantly is to redo ressources

I have downloaded the-x addon with his maps and looked at the editor.
I think both maps are not a good choice for the naval warfare tournament, because :
* seafaring is not required for win, players lands are connected and the players are only tempoary seperated from each other with a rock border.
* the map is a non-balanced map. I would for the tournament prefer a symetrical map for a balanced and fair game.
* warships are not really needed, same reason with first point with seafaring.

So now presend the pre-show of my six maps, that i creating for the tournament.
All of this maps are currently not aviable in my "Maps from Teayo" Addon !
* All of this maps requiring seafaring and if the player is not fast, he need allways warships.
* hessenfarmer's required is the using of warships in the comming naval warfare tournament.
* The extrem wide distance between the sides (Far side maps) and between the islands (Far islands maps) are from me calculated.
To creat a new situation and makes characteristics of ships more impact into the game.

Are my featured or cards eligible for the tournament?
And if so, which of the cards should be used? De facto the choice is limited to only two Battle Royale possible maps.

Attachment:
Widelands_Meine_Karten_Vorstellung.png

Das Imperium schlägt zurück ! TY

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-07-22, 22:12

As I do not have much time here is the short answer.
Potentially all maps might be candidates for the tournament, however the land mass for each player seems to be a bit narrow. Each player should have enough land to sustain an economy which allows for naval battle.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-07-24, 12:33

Teayo wrote:

To the maps for the Tournament, maybe we should also consider: - how are ressources set - what retreat offers the map for players (important when a stronger player pushes a weaker player back so he is still in the game / has a chance) - how realistic does the map look - natural design

most imporantly is to redo ressources

I have downloaded the-x addon with his maps and looked at the editor.

• seafaring is not required for win, players lands are connected and the players are only tempoary seperated from each other with a rock border.

well - i dont think so, because you have to look at gameplay and how the game progresses:

The first player to get a sustainable gold production has this high advantage that it is important /necessary to be the fastest player with warships or to build up a trading line with ships.

Also many more concepts give the best depth out of Widelands and guarantee a very interesting tournament.

-

https://www.widelands.org/maps/27-islands-becoming-3/

My all time favorite Map of Widelands with Ships

https://www.widelands.org/maps/wikinger-die-fjorde-seefahrer-turnierkarte/

Red v Yellow

https://www.widelands.org/maps/surreal-valleys/

This map is not ready yet, feel free to change and overdo it

• warships are not really needed, same reason with first point with seafaring.

same here, game progress is so important

I am saying, that we should really think twice before we put never for naval gameplay tested maps like ice wars in it, or the one dot greenland 24x24 islands maps.

Edited: 2023-07-24, 13:13

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-07-24, 17:09

@the-x:
I already stated that 25-Islands-becoming-3 might be a candidate (though I am not sure about balance here). And the other 2 are not a candidate. Reason is that I want to make the usage of the new feature essential to reach the opponent, which is not the case on these 2 maps. Repeatedly proposing them might not change anything there.

so far I am still searching for a big balanced map for a battle royal where contact is not possible without naval Warfare. Ice wars wiht the center of it sunk into water would fit in such a category I believe.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-07-24, 21:41

I just uploaded a first prototype of the addon for the tournament containing the m odified Icewars map. This should do for the battle royal round if no one objects. The plan for the battle royal is as follows:
1. I think it will be a match with the winning condition "territorial time" with a playtime of max. 16 hrs.
2. After each 4 hours the game speed will be increased by 1.
3. the winner will get 2 victory points for the table.
4. second will get 1.5 points, the third 1 point, the fourth will get 0.5 points.
5. fifth will get 2 Buchholz, 6th will get 1.5 buchholz and so on.

Does this sound reasonable for such a never seen match?

For scheduling the playtimes ( we will need more then one session probably) please insert your availabilities in the playtime scheduler (preferably the first 2 weeks of August).

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-07-24, 22:14

Sounds good to me face-smile.png

When will it be announced who plays which starting position?

After each 4 hours the game speed will be increased by 1.

Just to clarify, that's every 4 hours gametime, resulting in a maximum total play duration of 8:20 hours realtime, correct?

I have put my times in the scheduler – from this Sunday the 30th until Sunday August 20th I'm available every day from 17:00 to late in the night (but can usually also make it earlier if required), and on weekends the whole day.

@Teayo: Could you please upload the maps whose screenshots you have posted? I certainly like the previews and would like to try them out face-smile.png

Just a note, there have been several critical bugfixes since the last Tournament tag, which should absolutely be part of the version we'll use, and a few more are currently in review. I will provide the finalized Tournament2023 tag for the 1st Round Battle Royale on Wednesday afternoon, and I hope that as many of the important PRs currently open will be merged before then as possible. If neither #6013 nor #6018 get merged in time, I'll also include a quickfix for the bug where the ship destination dropdown fails to open.

Edited: 2023-07-24, 22:18

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-07-25, 10:07

Looking forward for our Battle Royale Rounds and the Tournament. I will be away only one week in August, the first week from 27.Juli - 6. August. From August 7 th on should be possible. For the maps, can we have some modified version of natural looking maps in it. I mean Ice Wars is a very old Map, dont know which version, but it is only light white, no more in the background.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-07-25, 16:14

hessenfarmer wrote:

I just uploaded a first prototype of the addon for the tournament containing the m odified Icewars map. This should do for the battle royal round if no one objects. The plan for the battle royal is as follows:
1. I think it will be a match with the winning condition "territorial time" with a playtime of max. 16 hrs.
4. second will get 1.5 points, the third 1 point, the fourth will get 0.5 points.

No, it doesn't, it shouldnt give points. Maybe just Buchholz. And the playtime could be shorter, too.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-07-25, 16:18

Plus, it might be hard to organize a match for 8 players. It's not a drama if the tournament just contains 1v1 matches face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-07-25, 16:23

WorldSavior wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

No, it doesn't, it shouldnt give points. Maybe just Buchholz. And the playtime could be shorter, too.

Ok, It would have been easier, if you provided some rational, why we shouldn't win points. But I guess it is due to the usage of diplomacy. This sounds reasonable so I'll change it to just give Buchholz resulting in 4, 3.5, 3, 2.5 Bucholz for the first 4 places.

For the playtime I realized from the test matches that it may take some time in such a constellation until the the war ships really come into action. So I thought this to be a good time at least for some players to leave the map.
If you get 50% of the map earlier it will be finished earlier anyway.

Top Quote