Latest Posts

Topic: Naval Tournament 2023

kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-18, 10:31

What about the last outstanding two games Nordfriese vs Hasi50 and _Elefantenrennen vs the-x ?

It would be nice if someone of you can announce the date and time you want to play, so spectators can join face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Hasi50
Version: 1.2 (selfcompiled master etc)
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2023-11-18, 10:48

I announced this already here https://www.widelands.org/forum/post/41288/ and Nordfriese. confirdem, see you tomorrow.

Here are the widelands where people may dwell, walking around care that evrythings well.

Top Quote
Hasi50
Version: 1.2 (selfcompiled master etc)
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2023-11-19, 18:18

I lost my Game against Nordfriese.

I did not really care for Military Whatever but pushedmy Economy to the Max as of the collectors Win Conditon I was a at front. But Nordfriese cam with some empty Warships and I still asummed it would be a peacefull game. Latest when he arrived with a coupleof Heros I had to give up.

OTOH we had no lag or whatever (I had a release build) I had a really crash in the End:

[00:00:00.673 real] WARNING: Make sure your development build is up to date! [00:44:07.496 real] WARNING: Map/Save is a directory! No way for making it available a.t.m.! 2023-11-19 18:55:46.689 widelands[23472:402335] IMKClient Stall detected, please Report your user scenario attaching a spindump (or sysdiagnose) that captures the problem - (imkxpc_bundleIdentifierWithReply:) block performed very slowly (5.00 secs). 2023-11-19 18:55:46.689 widelands[23472:402335] IMKClient Stall detected, please Report your user scenario attaching a spindump (or sysdiagnose) that captures the problem - (invocationInterruptXPCReply) block performed very slowly (2.00 secs). [03:59:54.984 real] INFO: [BufferedConnection] End of file when receiving data from host, closing socket

We tried to reproduce this but failed todo so. I openedn lots of Windows (what I usually not do).

Thanks to Nordfriese.

Here are the widelands where people may dwell, walking around care that evrythings well.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-19, 18:40

I assume you used a mac build and Nordfriese used linux?
If you did not encounter any lag while I discover them frequently it might be an issue of windows. However we had a lot of lagging with the match kaputtnik vs carli2, which both used linux.
I am not sure if it might have been due to carli2s compiling options. Perhaps he had ASAN enabled and this caused the lag or the release option did not work out in his environment.
kaputtnik and me will do a test match on current master (although with the branch of tothxa using his newest graphics.
we will start 20 cet, spectators welcome

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-19, 20:54

This was an interesting tournament. Thanks to hessenfarmer for his part of the organization! And congrats Nordfriese to the bronze medal and to Elefantenrennen to the silver medal!

---------- FINAL RANKING AFTER ROUND 5-----------

place player score buchholz match penalty
1 WorldSavior 5 15.5
2 _Elefantenrennen 4 13
3 Nordfriese 3.5 10.5
4 the-x 3 17 -1
5 kaputtnik 3 12
6 Mars 3 11
7 hessenfarmer 2.5 14.5
8 stormax-e 2 12.5
9 carli2 2 9 -1
10 Hasi50 1 11
11 Teayo 1 9

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-19, 21:21

Thanks a lot to @WorldSavior for stepping in to take over my job in this tournament.

I am really glad he managed to get it finished finally.
In the end it brought a lot of new findings and hopefully made some appetite for the new naval warfare feature. However this feature seems to need a lot of polishing before getting fully released.

Thanks for all participants for their contribution and again my deepest apologies for the technical problems and the problems raised by my personal time problems. I really feel ashamed for this being the most chaotic tournament ever.
I am planning to compensate this by organising a new tournament sooner. Without any development side interests. So expect a new tournament shortly after the release of version 1.2 with the release version, just for competition.
I deeply hope every player might consider participating then again and hopefully attract more players as well.

Finally congratulations to WorldSavior again, although he ran into difficulties in at least one game which was intersting to see.
Special congratulations to _Elefantenrennen as well, very well done.
And many thanks to our chieftain Nordfriese for being competitive although being very productive in fixing the bugs and inventing the whole feature. Hope you will keep your time and motivation for both.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-20, 07:51

Yeah, this tournament was a bit chaotic, but we never had such a big code change in the past, so all participants needs a big THANK YOU for your patience. And of course all participants are winners of this tournament, because in the end naval ware fare is a big enhancement to the game and that's a win for players!

@hessenfarmer : Don't feel ashamed, you have done, and do, a great job! Many thanks for all your time you spend for widelands!

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-22, 10:28

hessenfarmer wrote:

Thanks a lot to @WorldSavior for stepping in to take over my job in this tournament.

You're welcome

Thanks for all participants for their contribution and again my deepest apologies for the technical problems and the problems raised by my personal time problems. I really feel ashamed for this being the most chaotic tournament ever.

It's not a tragedy

I am planning to compensate this by organising a new tournament sooner. Without any development side interests. So expect a new tournament shortly after the release of version 1.2 with the release version, just for competition.

I deeply hope every player might consider participating then again and hopefully attract more players as well.

Will it be a 1v1 tournament again or another mode like for example 2v2?

Finally congratulations to WorldSavior again, although he ran into difficulties in at least one game which was intersting to see.

Thanks

kaputtnik wrote:

And of course all participants are winners of this tournament,

And I'm happy to see some unknown players participating in this tournament

because in the end naval ware fare is a big enhancement to the game and that's a win for players!

I think it's a matter of taste. It can be fun, but it also has its downside like for example the very micro-management-intensive naval battles, especially the big ones

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-22, 16:08

WorldSavior wrote:

Will it be a 1v1 tournament again or another mode like for example 2v2?

I have not made any decision yet. although I liked the 2v2 Tournament very much,it was hard to find nplaytimes for 4 persons. I'll think about it.

because in the end naval ware fare is a big enhancement to the game and that's a win for players!

I think it's a matter of taste. It can be fun, but it also has its downside like for example the very micro-management-intensive naval battles, especially the big ones

Well I think it is consensus in the dev team that we need to do something to reduce the micromanagement part a lot in the future, but it is unclear whether it will be 1.2. most likely we might see the final feature only in 1.3.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-11-22, 16:14

WorldSavior wrote:

kaputtnik wrote:

Such a big code change is never perfect, and may cause also some bugs which we didn't found yet. So this feature might not be perfect right now, but at least it is functional now, and that's why i think it is a win for all players face-smile.png

Top Quote