waldecker
Version: DailyBuild
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2022-05-30, 14:48

hessenfarmer wrote:

@waldecker: a final test would be fine now

Did another test run, one finding, two question

F: Loftomor speaks (about finishing the tool industry) to Jundlina after she has left to stay with the barbarians

Q1: The buildings near the port in the north enables the empire to destroy the port, not sure if I like the idea about the Tower in visibility to the port, is this intended? (see screenshot)

Q2: With the trees and rocks build in the slow down of the barbarians and the empire works well. So it gives the player enough time to develop his economy. Maybe for more advanced players you build in multiple difficulties, like in the frisian campaign, is it possible?

Cheers

Waldecker

Edited: 2022-05-30, 14:49

Attachment:
Northern_port.png

Yesterday I stood before an abyss, today I'm one step further

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-05-30, 16:04

waldecker wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

F: Loftomor speaks (about finishing the tool industry) to Jundlina after she has left to stay with the barbarians

ok I did not hink of this to be possible, will fix it

Q1: The buildings near the port in the north enables the empire to destroy the port, not sure if I like the idea about the Tower in visibility to the port, is this intended? (see screenshot)

it was an attempt to offer a way to attack the empire from 2 sides. However this leads to being attackable as well. But I will rethink this, cause the port might be more valuable as source for iron.

Q2: With the trees and rocks build in the slow down of the barbarians and the empire works well. So it gives the player enough time to develop his economy. Maybe for more advanced players you build in multiple difficulties, like in the frisian campaign, is it possible?

Well, could be done theoretically, but I couldn't think of any good mechanism to set difficulty as it is still difficult I think. In my latest attempt I lost as the empire was defeating the barbarians so quickly and got to my borders within 3 hours, so I wasn't prepared for the attack.

Cheers

Waldecker

Top Quote
waldecker
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2022-05-30, 18:01

hessenfarmer wrote:

waldecker wrote:

hessenfarmer wrote:

Everything is possible when a DAU like me is hunting Bugs face-wink.png So, better check all the pop-ups for situation related behaviour.

it was an attempt to offer a way to attack the empire from 2 sides. However this leads to being attackable as well. But I will rethink this, cause the port might be more valuable as source for iron.

If you disable the yellow spot and make sure the red spots which are reachable for the empire are at least 11 fields away from the port, it would enable the player to see (and attack the empire) with a small tower while the empire can not see because the red buildings have only visible range of 10.

Well, could be done theoretically, but I couldn't think of any good mechanism to set difficulty as it is still difficult I think. In my latest attempt I lost as the empire was defeating the barbarians so quickly and got to my borders within 3 hours, so I wasn't prepared for the attack.

That's related to your experience with the map. With the current setting I would say it is challenging for normal players who try this map the first time, but with some experience and knowing what to accomplish at the beginning the map can be solved.

My suggestion:

NORMAL - as it is now without the yellow spot near the north port

HARD - without the trees and stones that slow down the barbarians and the empire and without the yellow spot near the north port

VERY HARD - without the trees and stones that slow down the barbarians and the empire and with the yellow spot near the north port

To enable/disable the yellow spot, is it possible to have e.g. a standing stone there which can be removed by starting conditions?

Cheers

Waldecker

One more thing, in case the player has the bright idea to start at the north port, there are no messages poping-up when the empire gets in visibility range and also none when the scout comes back first time from empire territory.

Cheers

Waldecker

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-05-30, 21:08

Everything is possible when a DAU like me is hunting Bugs face-wink.png So, better check all the pop-ups for situation related behaviour.

I had a suggestion for a general solution to this on github, but it wasn't implemented. face-smile.png

If you disable the yellow spot and make sure the red spots which are reachable for the empire are at least 11 fields away from the port, it would enable the player to see (and attack the empire) with a small tower while the empire can not see because the red buildings have only visible range of 10.

The empire doesn't even need a tower to attack the port:

screenshot

The last red spot could be moved to the east. This would also free up the player's red spot that is required to reach the player's yellow spot.

Edited: 2022-05-30, 21:12

Attachment:
sentry_vs_port.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-06-01, 22:51

regarding messages: I now pushed a change that implements the suggestion of tothxa. Thanks for the concept.

regarding difficulty: map editing to adjust difficulty is hard to do and I have little time. So I would like to postpone this to 1.2 ( i would like to add difficulties to the other campaigns as well.

regarding starting in the north: I added a hint that this is not desired.

regarding the map: will try to edit once more edit: done

Edited: 2022-06-01, 23:10

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-06-07, 12:43

I did a test run myself yesterday it was tough some times but doable. Barbarians definitily needed my help, and it was hard to stop and evade the empire until my first heroes were ready. It was tough enough to keep the barbarians away, after they finally managed to finish off the empire.
maybe you needmore than 1 attempt on this mission but this is intended.
so from my side this should be ready to go in.

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-06-07, 14:41

Sorry, couldn't properly finish my test with the latest map because I got quite busy IRL. But during the quick test the Empire was still able to block my path to the medium spot at the Northern port:

screenshot

IIRC I dismantled the sentry to the East of the port because it was attacked. I had prepared a small tower though at the next small spot, but later I noticed that it disappeared when the Empire built it's sentry at its last spot.

Did you use this route in your test?

Edited: 2022-06-07, 14:47

Attachment:
shot0000.png

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-06-07, 14:52

yes I made an expedition to get to some iron. And indeed the spot can be blocked by the empire. But they di not attack my port, so I could mine some iron and I was able to attack them with 2 small towers from the 2 red spots near the port. So I deemed this ok for fulfilling the objectives of having a second route with the moment o9f action under the players control.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-06-12, 23:39

finally the new scenario got approved and merged. A thousand thanks to every contributor for intensive testing, good suggestions, detailed reviews and a lot of patience with my errors.

Top Quote
waldecker
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2022-06-13, 22:28

hessenfarmer wrote:

finally the new scenario got approved and merged. A thousand thanks to every contributor for intensive testing, good suggestions, detailed reviews and a lot of patience with my errors.

you are welcome

Top Quote