tothxa wrote:

niektory vs. tothxa will be on Tuesday the 6th at 22:00 CEST

If nothing goes wrong I'll stream it at https://www.twitch.tv/niektory

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-06, 23:13

I am just watching the game niektory v toxtha and think the stones are realy to much - with planting trees, you can almost make never ending games

Top Quote
tothxa
Version: some new PR I'm testing
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-09-07, 00:02

the-x wrote:

I am just watching the game niektory v toxtha and think the stones are realy to much - with planting trees, you can almost make never ending games

I don't think the foresters can reach far enough to the other side of the stones. Oh, and they can't get through the stones either. But the win condition is time limited anyway.

I'm only sorry that we played first, so now everybody knows the winning tactic for this setup. Though if both players race for the critical spots, then we still can see interesting games. And of course I should have raised an objection instead of using it to my advantage.

Edited: 2022-09-07, 00:25

Top Quote
tothxa
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-09-07, 09:03

OTOH I wasn't sure at all until the end whether this was really possible, and at the start, whether I can make it, and who else would think of it.

Also autocrat would take too long on this map, and HQ hunter would be almost the same.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-07, 09:23

tothxa wrote:

I'm only sorry that we played first, so now everybody knows the winning tactic for this setup. Though if both players race for the critical spots, then we still can see interesting games. And of course I should have raised an objection instead of using it to my advantage.

Yes, thats a very nice little trick on how to win the map face-wink.png nice move

Since there wasnt a single coal, iron and so on needed, not even food for the mines or anything and in order we dont just copy past toxtha can someone delete the stones?

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-07, 09:58

https://www.widelands.org/maps/infinithe-x-for-6/

Blue v Yellow

Interesting large map for 1v1, open map

https://www.widelands.org/maps/euphrat-and-tigris/

Green V Yellow

Players will meet in medium time and will be possible to go (and meet) to both directions and can connect their way system also in north south direction (speed boost) trying before the counterpart

Top Quote
tothxa
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-09-07, 10:32

the-x wrote:

Since there wasnt a single coal, iron and so on needed, not even food for the mines or anything

I DID need the 2 marble mines, otherwise I would have been too late with the castles. They were already struggling with the demand, so it was almost close with the towers. If niektory had been aware of what I was up to, he could probably have secured a passage even after the castles were ready.

and in order we dont just copy past toxtha can someone delete the stones?

I don't think that would be fair with niektory. And anyway, now you all know what you have to watch for, so it isn't even necessary.

Edited: 2022-09-07, 10:33

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-09-07, 17:24

tothxa wrote:

the-x wrote:

and in order we dont just copy past toxtha can someone delete the stones?

I don't think that would be fair with niektory. And anyway, now you all know what you have to watch for, so it isn't even necessary.

I'm also against it. I warned you about the map face-wink.png

@hessenfarmer: May I ask you what stops you from declaring all the maps? Tournament is already running and being able to choose maps while it is running gives you an unfair advantage... At least that's my point of view...

Edited: 2022-09-07, 17:38

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Seefahrer
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2022-09-07, 19:31

WorldSavior, I think that you're the only one who has that point of view. In my eyes that suggestion is more than absurd and not that sportmanshiplike, to say it nice. When one has much work and a lot to do with checking which maps would fit best for the tournament, including appeals by the participants resulting in having other maps, I find it unfair to say it takes too long. I don't see why we e.g. would have to know the map for round 3 even before round 1 is finished. And even if it would be an advantage for one to get to know the maps first, then one theoretically could have chosen that maps since a year and nonetheless could have presented the complete map pool at the start of the tournament, so your argument is nonsense. If you really think, something unfair or incorrect would be going on, you are free and follow point 3 of the rules and thus appeal to the final arbiter. We all know that you are the best player and that you will win the tournament whatever will be. So I don't see the need to complain about this and in that way. If any participant, who would happen to loose against another one, would think it would have been because the other player would have got to know the map (slightly) before, then that participant could also follow point 3 of the rules and appeal to the final arbiter. If you want to discuss in general the question, whether a tournament's organisator/map-chooser can be participant at the same time, you are free to open a different thread for such a general question. I for myself have no doubt that of course there's no abuse of head position in that tournament. If you want to discuss in general the question, whether the maps of a tournament should be chosen and made public before the start of a tournament, you are free to open a different thread for such a general question, which could apply for the next tournament. (Maybe it could also be a possibility to discuss whether it could be in the future an option that the participants could not only suggest maps but poll about them to determine all or a part of the maps used in the tournament)

I did not write that in defense of hessenfarmer, because he clearly doesn't need my defense, of course he could defend himself alone. I just spoke out as sign of solidarity and for signalizing that I totally disagree with your opinion.

Imagine the roles would be swept and you would work so much at the game and at organizing the tournament that you just were to busy with work and proof of maps to determine the next map that is only needed as soon as more than 10 days away - and if then a participant would complain about you by suggesting you would therefore (actively) create an unfair advantage for yourself, which, as you would know of yourself, just wouldn't be true, just wouldn't be the case - how would you feel about that?

Widelands is a game, not a war - if you want to attack, then do it your tribe against another player's tribe, but not with words against real people (especially those ones without the game wouldn't exist in its current form at all).

You may win every challenge but the developers are making and running the game and I think they deserve a little bit more respect in content and tone.

Top Quote
tothxa
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2022-09-08, 00:50

hessenfarmer wrote:

Ok,
for the friends of smaller maps I found an interesting one for Round 2:

https://www.widelands.org/maps/inselkrieger/

If no objections until Sunday this will be round 2.

I know it's too late, but I've just tested that this map has a major imbalance for the players: blue can block the small middle island by building a castle at the nearest big spot on his island, while red can't do the same. The ruin and the artifact must be removed to:

1. make it balanced
  2. make it impossible to block the middle island from either mainland

Even then the middle island is a too strong choke point again. Do we want this, or should the middle island be increased?

Mining resources are also very different. Red has much better access to iron and coal, but almost no stones (at least for the tribes that actually need it).

I'm also not quite sure about the balance of the starting positions. I think blue is noticeably better. Maybe red's starting hexagon should be exchanged with his forest hexagon.

And I've just noticed that red's South and South-East hexagons are smaller than the others. (so it's not just the direction that makes his starting position so bad then)

Edited: 2022-09-08, 00:51

Top Quote