Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: I'm surprised

Nazeth
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-28, 22:59

Honestly, I didn't hear anything about this game until yesterday, although I've been in the Settlers saga for 20 years. Even my settlers community mostly never heard about that.

You should do some marketing on settlers fan pages and community centres by spreading rumours face-grin.png

Also you should invest in official Discord. Discord is like Voice Chat, Reddit, Forum and Facebook for gamers. Just must to be to spread rumours about the game. There are even pages that suggest games for players just by information about their discord. it's free marketing that require some sort of moderation.

I saw that you had a tournament, but i cant find any movie on yt or twitch from it. That was great opportunity for promotion.

From my experience about that game:

• i don't see a sense to upgrade mines (or maybe i don't know something) or food production centres. Just by spamming basic mines around resource fields it costs me similar amount of resources and workers, but i don't need experienced workers or advanced food chains that cost a lot of rare resources.

• i think that requirement for experienced workers on upgrades should be removed. it cause micromanagement issues by manually replace workers. Normal workers just can't works there and lvl up?

• random maps like to make a bottlenecks, that forbid me to build towers to expand my territory. there isn't any space to make them. I suggest to implement something like anti dead end script or something like that for generator.

• generator also like to put me inside huge field of stones without any tree, that require minutes to clear them and prepare basic wood chain. it isn't very fair on multiplayer. i suggest to force generator to make some free space around main warehouse for basic economy.

• i very like that resource and production manage system to prevent overproduction and waste of resources, but i miss more advanced system to manage soldiers like automated reduce amount of soldiers on towers, that are far away from enemy towers. it would safe a lot of unnecessary micromanagement.

• im not a fan of idea, that after destroy a tower i can keep my territory. For me it is like an exploit (even is s3 or s4). Also ability to put one tower nearby another one it's nice trigger some sick situations, when i can make few citadels one nearby another one supported by medium towers to hold any incoming attack supported by chain of fresh recruits. There should be a distance between military buildings.

• Amazons tree production spam is very op for long games. I have a lot of free spece after a while to put exotic tree plants, that allow me to quickly scale up military production without rebuild depleted mines (or even worse when all possible mines are out). They also don't need a lot of stones, that disappear quite quickly in another nations.

• some towers offer similar amount of soldiers inside and claim range, but different material cost. Of course that one, what cost less unrenewable resources looks more profitable. What about make 2 types of towers for each size like basic one with 1/3/8 soldiers (basic materials) and upgraded one with 2/5/12 soldiers (advanced materials) to better fortfy borders?

Edited: 2021-07-28, 23:22

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-28, 23:42

Nazeth wrote:

Honestly, I didn't hear anything about this game until yesterday, although I've been in the Settlers saga for 20 years. Even my settlers community mostly never heard about that.

Welcome to the forums. And congratulations you finally found us face-wink.png

You should do some marketing on settlers fan pages and community centres by spreading rumours face-grin.png

Why should we do so, as we definitly are not settlers.

Also you should invest in official Discord. Discord is like Voice Chat, Reddit, Forum and Facebook for gamers. Just must to be to spread rumours about the game. There are even pages that suggest games for players just by information about their discord. it's free marketing that require some sort of moderation.

For the very first Discord is not compliant to the European GDPR, so for me this is personally a NoGo to ever use it.

I saw that you had a tournament, but i cant find any movie on yt or twitch from it. That was great opportunity for promotion.

Maybe some of gamers would not like their game to be streamed on a google service. No clue about the rules and term & conditions of twitch.

From my experience about that game:

Pretty much experience after just one day of knowledge face-wink.png

• i don't see a sense to upgrade mines (or maybe i don't know something) or food production centres. Just by spamming basic mines around resource fields it costs me similar amount of resources and workers, but i don't need experienced workers or advanced food chains that cost a lot of rare resources.

Basic mines simply can't mine all the resources of a mining field. Only advanced mines can do that.

• i think that requirement for experienced workers on upgrades should be removed. it cause micromanagement issues by manually replace workers. Normal workers just can't works there and lvl up?

if the upgrades are done like suggested in the tutorials micromanagment isn't necessary (except for amazons, where this is part of the desired gameplay). If you upgrade a building only when the worker has enough experience you always have a enough experienced workers available for every upgraded building.

• random maps like to make a bottlenecks, that forbid me to build towers to expand my territory. there isn't any space to make them. I suggest to implement something like anti dead end script or something like that for generator.

Any contribution on this would surely be very welcome. As this is a project done by the community in their leisure time we always lack contributors.

• generator also like to put me inside huge field of stones without any tree, that require minutes to clear them and prepare basic wood chain. it isn't very fair on multiplayer. i suggest to force generator to make some free space around main warehouse for basic economy.

See above. any contributions are very welcome.

• i very like that resource and production manage system to prevent overproduction and waste of resources, but i miss more advanced system to manage soldiers like automated reduce amount of soldiers on towers, that are far away from enemy towers. it would safe a lot of unnecessary micromanagement.

to implement this would be a lot of work, a lot of discussions abpout the right threshholds and it would reduce the complexity of the game so -1 from me

• im not a fan of idea, that after destroy a tower i can keep my territory. For me it is like an exploit (even is s3 or s4). Also ability to put one tower nearby another one it's nice trigger some sick situations, when i can make few citadels one nearby another one supported by medium towers to hold any incoming attack supported by chain of fresh recruits. There should be a distance between military buildings.

-1 this had always be like this and I am against changing fundamental design privileges. Furthermore this would discourage defensive Game tactics and by this over emphasize the offensive military aspects. If you can afford all these buildings by your economy you should be alowed to spent the ressources for them.

• Amazons tree production spam is very op for long games. I have a lot of free spece after a while to put exotic tree plants, that allow me to quickly scale up military production without rebuild depleted mines (or even worse when all possible mines are out). They also don't need a lot of stones, that disappear quite quickly in another nations.

Amazon Gold mines are very ineffective and so compensate for the wood production. Furthermore they basically need a lot of stone and mining them from the mountains is expensive and slow as well. However their economy isn't totally balanced with the other tribes yet.

• some towers offer similar amount of soldiers inside and claim range, but different material cost. Of course that one, what cost less unrenewable resources looks more profitable. What about make 2 types of towers for each size like basic one with 1/3/8 soldiers (basic materials) and upgraded one with 2/5/12 soldiers (advanced materials) to better fortfy borders?

each tribe has at least a comparable tower building some tribes already have an upgrade which is very expensive imho. So I don't see your point,

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 00:11

Nazeth wrote:

Here you go : P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZqdh_4red4

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nazeth
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 03:40

You may say that this games isn't a settlers and its true, but you can't say that it isn't look like them face-grin.png Our first reaction was "Is that S2 mod?" and they still believe that is S2 mod.

About towers for example Barbarian Barricade and Tower can keep 5 units. Personally i don't see any difference instead of cost after one day.

So about mines. If i will make a barbarian mine, then i can mine in radius of 2 around. if i will upgrade it, then radius still will be a 2, but they can mine more resources from the same place, because they can mine deeper. After source is depleted there is no chance to mine anything, or there is ultra low chance to mine something (like in s4)?

WorldSavior At least something xD

Edited: 2021-07-29, 03:41

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 08:56

Nazeth wrote:

• ... but i miss more advanced system to manage soldiers like automated reduce amount of soldiers on towers, that are far away from enemy towers. it would safe a lot of unnecessary micromanagement.

In widelands version 1.0 there is an add-on system where you can find the "Automated Soldiers settings ..." add-on in the category "Script". Unfortunately this add-on is not Multiplayer-ready yet.

That the random map generator does sometimes not work properly is known. Nordfriese spend some time into this part and made it at least work better as before. As hesssenfarmer wrote, because of lacking developers some things might be imperfect... But there are a lot of maps created by users available on the website and as an addon.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 09:13

Nazeth wrote:

About towers for example Barbarian Barricade and Tower can keep 5 units. Personally i don't see any difference instead of cost after one day.

the difference ist their vision range. Towers look much further into enemy land.

So about mines. If i will make a barbarian mine, then i can mine in radius of 2 around. if i will upgrade it, then radius still will be a 2, but they can mine more resources from the same place, because they can mine deeper. After source is depleted there is no chance to mine anything, or there is ultra low chance to mine something (like in s4)?

Correct. Advanced mines mine deeper and can extract more (all if fully upgraded) ressources from the ground. Each mine has a chance to find something even when everything has already been mined from the map. Normally this chance is 5% but barbarian and frisian deepest mines have a chance of 10%.

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 11:07

Nazeth wrote:

Yes, i also said some time that we need a balance over the tribes. In military sites the difference is quite high, so Atlanteans are very OP with their towers - this is also one thing i miss about development.

Personally Empire Towers are great woth barrier and so on all perpectly balanced and given the builld cost range. Atl towers are super cheap and have a super high range AND have can hold a lot of soldiers. tower and garrison should be reduced a lot more.

Exactly, i made a lot of suggestions face-wink.png you see the balance after some time playing

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 11:09

WorldSavior wrote:

Nazeth wrote:

Here you go : P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZqdh_4red4

Interesting Video ;D if there are coming some interesting multiplayer games I will do more

Top Quote
the-x
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 11:11

Nazeth wrote:

The more i read it, the better it sounds, though it is a lot of work it seems to be worth it, especially with 1/3/8 soldiers capacity i like it very much

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-07-29, 12:06

the-x wrote:

Atl towers are super cheap and have a super high range AND have can hold a lot of soldiers.

This is simply not true. They may be a little bit cheaper then e.g. empire or barbarians and especially frisians. however they only have a vision range of 17 compared to empire (19) or frisians (21) and they only store 4 soldiers compared to empire/barbarians (5) or frisians (7).

Top Quote