Latest Posts

Topic: Map Revisions v1.0

Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-01-09, 18:55

If anyone wants to propose a new map to be added to the official pool or would like to see one of the official maps removed for the release Widelands 1.0, please write it here face-smile.png

Something needs to be done about the map "Desert Tournament" – there are two bug reports complaining that it is unbalanced. Would someone like to make an updated version? If not, I vote to remove it from the official pool.

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2021-01-10, 16:56

Nordfriese wrote:

If anyone wants to propose a new map to be added to the official pool or would like to see one of the official maps removed for the release Widelands 1.0, please write it here face-smile.png

Something needs to be done about the map "Desert Tournament" – there are two bug reports complaining that it is unbalanced.

We can have some unbalanced maps. Jos mark those as unbalanced. Should we have more fully balanced maps?

Would someone like to make an updated version? If not, I vote to remove it from the official pool.

It is very difficult to make maps where one player advances left and other right to be fully balanced, because the asymetry between conquer area and flag position. Same goes to up/down.  Fjords is balanced despite up/down, because it is a doughnut (=both can go up and down); should it become official?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-01-10, 19:23

I think the shipped maps are mainly played, and most useful, for new players. Just to get familiar with the game. So for me the arguments for shipped maps are:

• Ai works somewhat on all starting positions
  • Starting position are equally playable with all tribes
  • Interesting landscape

The question about balancing is more interesting for multiplayer games. This does not mean that balancing doesn't matter, but it is not one of the main arguments to have a map shipped or not, imho.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-01-10, 19:51

There's no reason not to have unbalanced maps in the pool. The thing about Desert Tournament is that most players will probably automatically assume that a map with Tournament in its name should be fair and equal for all players (even if it would be tagged Unbalanced). So if we want to keep it we should at least change the name as well as the tag, IMHO.

kaputtnik wrote:

• Interesting landscape

I agree face-smile.png I wonder how Fjords performs with these criteria: I have the impression that it is popular, very beautiful, and ± tribe-equal, so I'd say +1 for including it, except that it is quite tricky to play even for a human, let alone the AI…

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2021-01-11, 10:30

kaputtnik wrote:

I think the shipped maps are mainly played, and most useful, for new players. Just to get familiar with the game. So for me the arguments for shipped maps are:

• Interesting landscape

IMO, Lesser Ring fits these criteria. It is my favorite map for 8-player games. It is a balanced map, and AI performs well on it.

Currently, there are version 1.0 and 1.1 in the map database. However, I already have an updated version 1.2 (with changes to adapt to current widelands in git - widelands has changed the rules on building spaces and on how animals behave, which caused some issues with 1.0 and 1.1).

I will upload 1.2 tonight.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-01-11, 10:53

+1 for Lesser Ring. We would then have a lot of 8-player maps though – perhaps we could replace Ancient Sun Of Fire (which has a lot of game-impairing bottlenecks) with it?

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-01-11, 12:11

Nordfriese wrote:

perhaps we could replace Ancient Sun Of Fire (which has a lot of game-impairing bottlenecks)

+1

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-01-11, 15:02

Nordfriese wrote:

+1 for Lesser Ring. We would then have a lot of 8-player maps though – perhaps we could replace Ancient Sun Of Fire (which has a lot of game-impairing bottlenecks) with it?

+1 from me as well

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2021-01-11, 19:03

Currently, there are version 1.0 and 1.1 in the map database. However, I already have an updated version 1.2 (with changes to adapt to current widelands in git - widelands has changed the rules on building spaces and on how animals behave, which caused some issues with 1.0 and 1.1).

I will upload 1.2 tonight.

I've uploaded the new version: https://www.widelands.org/maps/lesser-ring-12/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-01-11, 20:33

I started a branch: https://github.com/widelands/widelands/tree/v10-map-review
Changes so far: Added map Lesser Ring; Deleted map Sun Of Fire; Updated map Wide World (https://www.widelands.org/forum/topic/5116/)
No change about Desert Tournament yet

Top Quote