Latest Posts

Topic: Ferries

WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-03, 16:46

I'd vote for switching places of "build waterway icon" and "destroy flag icon" at the flag menu, because if you want to destroy a flag at the coast quickly it doesn't work and instead the construction of the waterway gets triggered. It's very confusing that flags at the land can be destroyed by a double click (if I'm not mistaken) but flags at the coast not.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-03, 19:37

Not a double-click – the default click target is the build road button.

On inland flags we have BuildRoad (default) – destroy flag – eco options – geologist.
On coast flags we have BuildRoad (default) – Build waterway – destroy flag – eco options – geologist.
So for inland flags, you need to move the mouse 1 unit to the right, and 2 units for coast flags.

The build road and build ww buttons should stay next to each other for consistency. And I'm also in favour of keeping the buildroad button the fastclick button because it's the most often used button when clicking a flag. No need to change anything here imho.

Edited: 2020-04-03, 19:37

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-03, 20:23

Nordfriese wrote:

No need to change anything here imho.

+1

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-03, 20:34

Nordfriese wrote:

Not a double-click – the default click target is the build road button.

On inland flags we have BuildRoad (default) – destroy flag – eco options – geologist.
On coast flags we have BuildRoad (default) – Build waterway – destroy flag – eco options – geologist.
So for inland flags, you need to move the mouse 1 unit to the right, and 2 units for coast flags.

The build road and build ww buttons should stay next to each other for consistency. And I'm also in favour of keeping the buildroad button the fastclick button because it's the most often used button when clicking a flag. No need to change anything here imho.

Thanks for listing how the menus look like. Wouldn't it be the best to move BWW below BR (in a second row), so at the right of BR we have DF - EO - G like it is the case with inland flags?

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-03, 20:37

Two rows would look strange IMHO because we don't have this anywhere else except in the buildings menu. And it would be difficult implementation-wise because the field action window uses box layout.
But perhaps we could move the build ww button to the left of the road button (keeping the road button the fastclick target). This would also feel a bit strange to me though

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-03, 21:24

Nordfriese wrote:

And it would be difficult implementation-wise because the field action window uses box layout.

That's a pity

But perhaps we could move the build ww button to the left of the road button (keeping the road button the fastclick target).

That would also be possible

This would also feel a bit strange to me though

Because the fastclick target is not in the top left corner? Well, well... Sometimes it's in the top left corner, sometimes in the bottom left. So maybe it's not so bad that its in right from the bottom left in that one corner case.

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-04-03, 23:51

Would it be possible to make them one button? The decision to build a waterway could be triggered then by clicking onto a water field next.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-04, 10:36

Not possible, because if you have water landscapes with land triangles that are distributed in such a way that every node borders 1 land tri, then you can build both a road and a waterway on any given path.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-09, 19:58

Building waterways can be extremely CPU intensive when the maximum length is very high. So I suggest to limit the maximum length to a value, for example 10...

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-04-09, 20:07

I don't experience any such trouble. Just checked this on Königen un Königinnen (max length 20) and it has no impact on performance whatsoever. I guess you're using somewhat older hardware, where the workarea display is a bit performance hungry? I wouldn't change the gameplay for this… but how about disabling the waterway length limit illustration along with all the other workarea-related performance killers with the 'W' hotkey?

Top Quote