Latest Posts

Topic: Campaign feedback

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-26, 08:58

Thanks for looking into that!

So, Tinker is playing British English, not English?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-11-26, 09:30

I am playing in English, there is omly one English, the colonies speak different forms of Engish like american or canadian English but that is not English.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-26, 10:34

Indeed, playing in British english shows also 'Fishermans hut' for the Ranger here. Setting the Language to 'English', 'Canadian English' or 'American English' shows the correct strings.

Tinker, could you please try to set a different language?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-11-26, 20:52

I have updated the locale files and now it works OK, and I have corrected several translation errorrs. I no longer have any references to the Canadian lumberjacks and the coal mines have corrected themselves.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-27, 09:40

Just so clarify: "English" are the strings that all translations are based on, including British, American, Canadian English etc. So, no matter your political views or relationship to your language, for fixing bugs, the important thing is how things are implemented face-wink.png

It would be great if we had an active translation team for British English to fix everything up.

Edited: 2016-11-27, 09:41

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Cygnette
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2016-11-28, 20:53

I had the same problem with the garbled names when trying out Build 19 on two different computers today. In both cases where it went wrong was the default option "try system language". The garbled names disappeared when I replaced that with the first option under it - "English". My computers are set to English (United Kingdom) as system language.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-29, 06:28

Yes, the problem is definitely a wrong translation - it is impossible for the developers to make sure that translations are correct. We actually do speak some form of English so we could have fixed this one if we had the time, but for languages that we don't speak, not so much.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
No0815
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-12-18, 14:57

Well ... it's been a while since I've been here. In order to avoid to cause "irritation", again, I'd rather stick this time to what had motivated me the most since the beginning: Improving and (significantly) extending the campaign. Since I have a better understanding of the economy and workings of Widelands by now, I don't depend so much on your approval anymore before I can even get myself started, so I can do what kaputnik already suggested on the first, no, actually second page and just do it (NO, GO AWAY WITH SHIA LABEOUF!!!).

I have accumulated quite some ideas over the past two years, some of them already pretty detailed. Since I can't be sure that I will stick around long enough to actually realize them all, I'd like to at least publish them here so someone else can, as the case may be, built on them if they feel inspired and my ideas find general approval.

Most of my ideas are related to the barbarian campaign. The story arc about the reconquest of Al’thunran and the Throne Among the Trees, to restore peace and prosperity, really had me interested. When it ended so abruptly after only the second mission I was really surprised and disappointed, the "final fight" for Al’thunran felt almost like a joke. By now I rather see it as a placeholder. This story deserves more so I started to develop ideas to do do it justice. My current plans contain 7 different missions, maybe it will get even more. Five of them are dedicated to the main story arc of the current campaign, including the two current missions in an adapted form, two missions revolve around a secondary arc, that tries to connect the events with the story of the empire campaign, namely (and mainly) that ominous tribe that raided Fremil seemingly out of nowhere and give them some understandable reasoning behind it.

Aside from the stuff that is focused around actually playing the game, what bothered me most about the campaign is the writing. A story provides only the background for the actions of playing the game, so it isn't needed for a good campaign and therefore definitely not the focus in development of the game. But I'm a sucker for a good story with interesting and believable characters, that's what, in my opinion, can turn a good into a great campaign so I really would like to make this work as well. Unfortunately writing is probably my weakest point so I really hope I'm not setting my goals way to high here face-upset.png . But since only the basic outline of the story actually has significant influence on the design of the campaign and missions, problems with the writing should hardly hinder the work on the missions if I happen to get stuck, especially when I get bogged down in details (not that I would be prone to this, nope, not me, lol ... ).

Putting every idea and thought I have in this post would most certainly go beyond the scope of one post, though I originally wanted to give an outline of what I had in mind for each mission, with the outline of the different elements and goals. But it appears that writing this post quickly wears of my confidence and motivation, for some reason. So instead of letting it lay around for days instead of just hours I'll just post what I have so far and make a new post to continue.

I made this list of missions just for personal reference originally, but I might as well just leave it here:

• basic (civil) economy
  • basic warfare, attack on training camp of Kalitath
  • extended warfare, break through Kalitath's defense ring
  • secondary arc: Kalitath's escape to his old home, assault on Fremil
  • final war against Thron's brothers, liberation of Al’thunran
  • secondary arc: Kalitath's retreat and escape from Lutius (?)
  • economic challenge, rebuilt of Al’thunran

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-19, 10:23

I think the outline looks good. Maybe you could start with the first secondary arc and try to code a scenario? I'm sure that there are people on this forum willing to help with the writing.

Once you have gained some experience, splitting up the main arc will become easier.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-19, 13:36

I like the idea that someone would take care of the other campaigns. For scenario coding you could have a look into the existing scenarios coding. I learned most of the things I now Know from doing so. And as always CTRL-c and CTRL-v is a good starting point. ;-) if you need help just open a thread or open a bug on Launchpad where things can be discussed.
I would be happy to discuss and test any new scenario that will be created.

Top Quote