Hi everybody! I discovered Widelands only barely a week ago. So I'd like to use the chance to give some feedback on the campaign and the tutorial being still a noob, pretty much. I already played the campaign with build-18 but since I read that it (maybe) got reworked I'm replaying it with development builds now. Don't wanna report issues that already got fixed or changed
I'll start with the tutorial: I have been playing a lot of Settlers II in the old days so I'm already quite familiar with the basic functions. I still gave the tutorial a shot even though I can't really tell if a complete beginner might be satisfied. It's nice to have such a detailed tutorial and I'm pretty sure it does a good job explaining the basics. Some things I noticed:
- Basic Control
- If you remove the first "No Rocks" message from the quarries before the second comes in the next step of the tutorial doesn't trigger.
- Maybe dismantling should be explained before burning down. The formulation "the wares are lost" might be confusing if one does not yet know that you get back building material by dismantling.
- It might not be important at all but the tutorial doesn't tell if the shipyard should be built on the north or on the south part of the isle.
- The tutorial could be more precise about how to navigate during an expedition. It took me quite a while to figure out on my own, that
- ships just sail straight in the direction they are sent until they encounter land
- that they can be redirected at any time and therefore be navigated precisely at any given point
- removed two points, I didn't read the instructions close enough X)
- It even has a back-story to it, nice
- Maybe this would be a good place to explain the display of the work area, too. I still don't know what else it might be able to indicate aside from work area/coverage and potential coverage of extension
Edit: Trying to figure out how to fix formating ...
Edit 2: Finally figured it out and added a point