Latest Posts

Topic: English translation thread

tuggyne

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-04-18, 18:08

GunChleoc wrote:

OK, seems like I led you down the garden path face-sad.png These are the sentences that it appears in:

Hey, my good old friend. I just thought about the rocks standing on the south shore of this land. Perhaps we could cut out some useful hard stones and beautiful marble.

Ah, OK. Here, the greeting is a little off; something like "Hail, old friend" might do a little better, as both "hey" and "good old friend" are awkward; idiomatically, an old friend is assumed to be a good friend ;). Maybe swap "building" for "hard", but otherwise that's OK.

Standing is not a problem.

Stones can be mined in granite mines, but the easier way is to build a quarry next to some rocks lying around. As it happens, there is a pile of them just to the west (left) of your headquarters. I will teach you now how to move your view over there.

This is fine.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-22, 18:27

@tuggyne: How would you feel about doing a code review for us for the Empire campaign?

https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/empire/+merge/257141

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-28, 08:52

Bumping this discussion...

Amalea often addresses Lutius with "Hey". I agree with tuggyne that this sounds too modern, and I've never been happy with it. On the other hand, I'm thinking that "Hail" might be too formal.

What do the other native speakers think? Is there a 3rd alternative?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-05-28, 12:41

I guess, going to Latin and use "Salve" wouldn’t help? face-wink.png We could go for dropping the greeting completely? Like she always just walks up to him and tells him something? She’s his little sister, so, why not?

Or, though not being native speaker, what about "Hello"? Or the good old "Good morning/evening/whatever"?

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-05-28, 14:31

I should have looked ad the wiki again. If she is his little sister, "my good old friend" doesn't make sense either. It should be "my brother" or "big brother" or something like that.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-05-28, 15:31

Yeah, I changed that part to assign her a definite role. Just like the description of Saledus, who’s now definitely a subordinate.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
MiroslavR

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-07-04, 19:09

How about these changes to the terminology:

• Quarry (B, E, A) -> Stonemason's Hut/House
  • Stonemason's House (E) -> Marble Workshop

I feel like the term quarry is not used properly, since the building currently named so only houses a worker and isn't an actual site for mining stone, unlike the Granite/Marble Mine.
Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-05, 00:27

Term "Quarry" is taken from Settlers II (what about Settlers I?). So this is not Widelands based building. For sure it is not correct term, but historically it shoudn't be changed. People are making mistakes and they stick to them face-wink.png (for example current direction in physics/ electronics)

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-07-06, 09:56

einstein13 wrote:

Term "Quarry" is taken from Settlers II (what about Settlers I?). So this is not Widelands based building. For sure it is not correct term, but historically it shoudn't be changed. People are making mistakes and they stick to them face-wink.png (for example current direction in physics/ electronics)

Oh, there’s no reason, why we shouldn’t change it. Other buildings (mainly military ones) got or will get a renaming, too. And in this case, Miroslav is right, it is NOT a quarry. So why don’t use a correct term?

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-07-06, 11:42

Venatrix wrote:

einstein13 wrote:

Term "Quarry" is taken from Settlers II (...)

So why don’t use a correct term?

Only historical reason.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote