Latest Posts

Topic: Fur production instead of Reindeer

hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-03-08, 16:19

PeterPiper wrote:

There are many places where the Help is not help enough. I would find it very Helpful if all of this kind of Information was included in the Help! There is otherwise no way to know this. Luckely we have this very Helpful forum!

I agree we should add some hint about meat being a byproduct. If you miss other information, please be somewhat more specific then "many places" so we could do something about it. We can't address anything we do not specifically know about.

Top Quote
knarf
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-03-11, 20:53

hessenfarmer wrote: I agree we should add some hint about meat being a byproduct. If you miss other information, please be somewhat more specific then "many places" so we could do something about it. We can't address anything we do not specifically know about.

After reading this discussion I wonder: I have read about other "sequence-style" production buildings like some of the mines that produce different things according to a pre-set sequence. Is it also there the case that if you supply the mine only sparsely you only ever get the things at the start of the sequence and never get 'to the end'? This would be most non-intuitive. Neither is the sequence itself documented in the help (I believe), nor the fact that depending on how you supply the building (steady or in 'chunks'), the outcome could be totally different. The former I just see as missing documentation, but the latter to me strongly feels like a bug, at least if not clearly communicated. Is this "sequence-resetting" really intended or at this point only "a by now accepted unintended behaviour"?

Edited: 2024-03-11, 20:54

Top Quote
mxb2001
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2024-03-12, 15:28

Sequence style: How about the tool producers! They produce a dozen in sequence. That'd be a nightmare. Maybe that's why tools always seem to take longer than expected.

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
knarf
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2024-03-12, 19:23

I don't quite get your reply. Maybe I could try to explain a little more. The way I imagined things work in my naive thinking was something along those lines:

• I read that (some) mines produce different materials in sequence, say AAABAAB. Now, if there happens to be not enough food after the first AA, I imagined production simply stops and is resumed when more food comes in, so it would continue with AB. Instead, this discussion here would point to resetting the sequence and the next time it would start with AA again. I couldn't imagine this would be done on purpose which is why I never imagined it would be done that way.

• For producers like tool smithies I imagined it would actually somehow look at the demand (and available resources) and base the decision on what to produce next on that. Say: I need 2 hammers, 1 net and 1 pick. I happen to not have cloth right now, so the net is skipped. From the remaining 2 hammers and 1 pick something now would be chosen based on some other criteria - maybe simply 'the highest (demand - stock)' with some intelligence to deal with infinite demand. I would not even consider things that are currently not needed and not spend time on those. However, it seems to be a lot more inefficient than that and simply cycle through a fixed sequence and taking a lot of time potentially doing nothing, while tools are needed.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2024-03-12, 20:55

well most production programs are indeed run sequentially.
e.g. tools: there is a fixed sequence in which order the tools are produced, if all of them have at least a demand of 1. There is no priorization of more or less needed tools.
If a tool is not needed the step in the sequence is skipped.
I there is not enough supply the step in the sequence will fail, and probably the next step and the overnext step as well. And so on.
A failing step will be retried after 10 seconds only. By this it seems that the sequence is restarted, while it simply is run through quickly.
This mechanism is due to it being implemented in the lua files which are basically scripts. You can have a look in them in your data folder.

Top Quote