Latest Posts

Topic: Depleted Mines

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-11-06, 01:58

It gives wrong advice! It says dismantle (or destroy? insane) when the deepest level is used up. But I just thought it through and unless your desperate to recover a few resources (in some special cases) it is a losing proposition to dismantle empty mines since (and why is this not stressed more?) empty mines can still mine at a very poor and low rate. On some small mineral poor maps you can totally run out of minerals in no time and then you will NEED these depleted mines intact. Freeing up space is not a consideration since mines are all that can be built anyways. Freeing up miners may be a consideration but again it really depends.

So I've been automatically dismantling mines in all my games so far because of this bad advice. Sheesh!

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
niektory
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2020-11-06, 02:57

It's a good advice most of the time. It's best to dismantle them to free up miners and rebuild them only when all resources run out.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-11-06, 09:34

Running on depleted Mines should be only the last ressort as it is very expensive in terms of food. Generally you only have 5% chance (with some tribe dependent exceptions) this means you need 20 food supplies on average to run them. and you need the time for 20 attempts on average to get one piece of mineral as well.
Only very few maps are that low on minerals and they are explicitly designed for that. Normal maps should have plenty of minerals.

So the advice in the low ressources message should stay as it is.

Top Quote
CrisiusXIII
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-11-10, 05:44

Hello, I was thinking of placing mine-ruins if possible. Maybe even with a choice to destroy or dismantle. So then you see 3-8 hours later which part you have been already. it very well could be a common picture for all type of mines. I am not experienced although i am making my third 'first' entrance to C ... i think i see it a bit better now like with using a pointer as a poke and the result as a peeek... but those triple stars in commands... but thats another tread of course.

Edited: 2020-11-10, 05:45

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-11-10, 08:19

The code would go into Building::cleanup - you would create a new immovable there.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
CrisiusXIII
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-11-10, 18:20

Hi, another method is cutting off the road and just send them miners out. the miners will find the closesth path and walk to their next destination. can be done at any time actualy. cheers

Top Quote
littlekatana
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2021-11-20, 19:44

hessenfarmer wrote:

Running on depleted Mines should be only the last ressort as it is very expensive in terms of food. Generally you only have 5% chance (with some tribe dependent exceptions) this means you need 20 food supplies on average to run them. and you need the time for 20 attempts on average to get one piece of mineral as well.
Only very few maps are that low on minerals and they are explicitly designed for that. Normal maps should have plenty of minerals.

So the advice in the low ressources message should stay as it is.

I had a question about this, since I just finished playing the Empire campaign map where there is very few resource. I was wondering whether the mine was totally exhausted or still produced in smaller quantities, as I can see the meals being consumed and delivered as usual, and the light in the mine goes on.

So what you're saying is a Deep Mine that has exhausted its vein can continue to work as normal, but only has a 5% chance to produce an ore?

Is that true with un-pgraded mines, as well? If you keep them normal mines, do they have a 5% chance to produce an ore? Normally when it's exhausted, you upgrade (assuming other conditions are also met). But what does upgrading even do? I don't understand. In other games, you usually upgrade in order to access an unlimited supply, so I don't see the full point of upgrading.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-11-20, 19:57

This applies to all mines of any level – when depleted, they can still produce ores with a building-type-specific probability. This chance is 5% for most mines, though some tribes' deep mines have 10%. The percentage for each building is also stated in the in-game encyclopedia.

Enhancing a mine increases the percentage of the resource deposit they can extract from the ground before being depleted. An imperial shallow mine can get 50% of the available resources and is then empty; enhancing it to a deep mine gives it access to the full 100% of the resources present in the ground before it's empty again. This percentage, too, is also stated in the in-game encyclopedia for each building.

Top Quote
nilpotent
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-02-12, 18:40

I have been thinking about this recently, and I have a suggestion. When playing, e.g., the Barbarians, if I have to depend on the low rate of depleted mines I think it may be best to tear down a depleted Deeper Mine and then build three Mines, never upgrading them. The two main advantages I see are: 1. You are spending Rations instead of Meals, saving the cost of the Strong Beer 2. The encyclopedia says that a well-stocked Coal Mine produces roughly every 32.5 seconds, while a Deeper Coal Mine produces roughly every 14.4 seconds. If you take the three miners from the Deeper Coal Mine and give each his own mine then three miners averaging 32.5 seconds each will collectively produce a ware roughly every 11 seconds. Assuming the depleted production rate is proportional, That's 33% faster.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-02-12, 21:49

nilpotent wrote:

I have been thinking about this recently, and I have a suggestion. When playing, e.g., the Barbarians, if I have to depend on the low rate of depleted mines I think it may be best to tear down a depleted Deeper Mine and then build three Mines, never upgrading them. The two main advantages I see are: 1. You are spending Rations instead of Meals, saving the cost of the Strong Beer 2. The encyclopedia says that a well-stocked Coal Mine produces roughly every 32.5 seconds, while a Deeper Coal Mine produces roughly every 14.4 seconds. If you take the three miners from the Deeper Coal Mine and give each his own mine then three miners averaging 32.5 seconds each will collectively produce a ware roughly every 11 seconds. Assuming the depleted production rate is proportional, That's 33% faster.

i believe you forgot about the different chances to produce something if depleted. the rate for normal mines is 5% and for the deepest barbarian mines is 10%. Furthermore a normal mine has 2 attempts for one ration while a deeper mine has 5 attempt for one meal to find something. so on average you need 10 rations to find something while you need only 2 meals. I think this leverages the cost for the strong beer and the bread.

Edited: 2022-02-12, 21:55

Top Quote