WL Tournament 2013
There will be a new WL tournament this year! The first reason for the new tournament is clearly to have fun playing together and against other WL players.
The second is to test the new features like dropping workers from buildings, seafaring, new font rendering, the new graphics engine, the improvements to the UI and all the many other new features. So it is not by chance that the tournament will take place just before the release of build 18: The games will likely take place 23rd September till 3rd November.
Who can participate?
Its open for everyone: Developers, casual gamers, fans, followers, everyone. Playing together is possible via internet or local network. As we want to play a double elimination tournament, the number of participants has to be a power of 2, so the first 2/4/8/16/32... registering players will be in.
- Preliminaries 23rd September to 27th October 2013
- Final: 28th October - 3rd November
- For fun!
- To go down into the annals of history as one of the participants of the third Widelands Tournament
- To have the chance to get an(other) unique WL-Winner-T-Shirt
How to register?
- per private message to Kristin: clicky
- Include your (nick)name and indication which tribe you play in the first game
- until 22th September 2013
The brackets (who is playing who) will be presented here after the end of the registration period.
- 1 vs. 1, Player combinations will be drawn randomly and presented here. If there are many registrations, this mode may be preceded by a group stage.
- As we want to test new game processes and features, the played game version must always be the current developer version - we will provide up to date builds as much as possible.
- Games are hosted by one of the two players or another person (i.e. when both players are behind a firewall that does not allow Widelands traffic through). To find someone, who hosts a game for players, ask in the IRC chat.
- After every game, both players send a private message to Kristin with
- I won! / I lost
- indication which tribe he plays in the next game.
- The winner has to send in a replay of the game (see next section for instructions). You will receive an email address to send the replay to. Please also add the version of the game (as that is important to be able to watch the replays).
- Playing which tribe? Your favorite! When you register, include which tribe you want to play in your first match. After the game, let Kristin know which tribe you want to play in your next match. So its determined, but secret until the start of the next game.
- Playing which map? For each game, there is a predetermined map. The maps will be announced after the Map Contest .
- The win condition is Autocrat or Territorial Time. Which one is indicated to the players before each round.
- There will be 2 - 8 games per person. For every game, the players will have roughly one week. When the players agreed to a time for the game we could announce it on the homepage so other persons could join as spectators.
Where do I find the replays I have to send in?
A replay consists of two files (a .wgf and a .wrpl); both must be sent in. Widelands saves those files into its replays directory automatically. You have to send both files via Mail to Kristin. Also include the version of widelands you played (the information in the bottom right corner in the main menu of widelands) as Kristin needs to use precisely this version to check the files.
To find the right replay: the naming of the replay is the date and time it was created + whether it was a multiplayer or single player game. If you are unsure, best run the replays via the replay menu in Widelands' main menu.
Replays are saved in the following places for the different operating systems:
In <userhomedir>\.widelands\replays where <userhomedir> is the Directory all user data is saved in (e.g. C:\User\Nasenbaer ). Zip the two corresponding files up and send them in.
Mac OS X
~/.widelands/replays. This folder is hidden by default, access it via the
Open Folder menu item in the Finder (Keyboard shortcut is Shift+Cmd+G). Enter
~/.widelands/replays in the location bar and click the Ok button. Zip up the
two files of your game for easier sending.
In '~/.widelands/replays'. Zip the two corresponding files up and send them in.
You will find the bracket linked here: Bracket
Here you can download the replays of the games already played and players may have a chance to learn from their own and other replays.
Make sure to have the same game version as the replay to watch them (exception: 6785 - 6788 is compatible to each other). To get older game versions, you have to build them yourself (see BuildingWidelands ) or use a daily build if available (see Download_Unofficial_development_builds ).
To watch a downloaded replay, you have to unzip the file and put the two files (.wrpl and .wrpl.wgf) into the widelands folder "replays" (this folder may be hidden). Then you can open the replay in your game by chosing "watch replay" at the beginning.
- Game 1: Tino(blue) vs LAZA(red) r6785
- Game 2: se5a (blue) vs despatch_ (red) r6783
- Game 3: dershrimp (red) vs Foaly (blue) r6785
- Game 4: Apo(blue) vs Nasenbaer (red) r6783
- Game 5: Conqueror (red) vs LordFleischpeitsche (blue) r6783
- Game 6: Mars (blue) vs Krondor (red) r6783
- Game 7: SirVer (blue) vs ivh (red) r6785
- Game 8: simplypeachy (red) vs McMad2nd (blue) r6783
- Game 9: se5a (blue) vs LAZA (red) r6787
- Game 10: Foaly (blue) vs Nasenbaer (red) r6787
For Game 10, there are three replay parts because of two desyncs during the game.
- Game 11 has not been played
- Game 12: McMad2nd (red) vs SirVer (blue) r6787
- Game 13: _despatch (red) vs Tino (blue) r6787
- Game 14: dershrimp (blue) vs apo (red) r6785
For Game 14, there are two replay parts because of a desync during the game.
- Game 15: Conqueror (blue) vs Mars (red) r6787
- Game 16: simplypeachy (red) vs ivh (blue) r6783
- Game 17: ivh (blue) vs se5a (red) r6808
- Game 18: Nasenbaer (red) vs Conqueror (blue) r6704
For Game 18, there are two replay parts because of a desync during the game.
- Game 19: dershrimp (blue) vs Krondor (red) r6787
- Game 20: Tino (blue) vs SirVer (red) r6804
For Game 20, there are two replay parts because of a desync during the game.
- Game 21: apo (red) vs despatch_ (blue) r6787
- Game 22: Mars (blue) vs simplypeachy (red) r6810
- Game 23 has not been played
- Game 24: dershrimp (blue) vs SirVer (red) r6810
For Game 24, there are two replay parts because of a desync during the game.
- Game 25: despatch_ (blue) vs Conqueror (red) r6818
- Game 26: simplypeachy (blue) vs dershrimp (red)
- Game 27: apo (blue) vs Mars (green) r6818
- Game 28: despatch_ (blue) vs dershrimp (red) r6820
- Game 29: apo (blue) vs dershrimp (green) r6820
For Game 29, there are three replay parts because of a desync and a voluntary interruption during the game.
- Game 30: dershrimp (red) vs Mars (blue) r6820