Latest Posts

Topic: Empire Seafaring Graphics

PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-02-23, 13:38

SirVer wrote: Wow, you became much more sophisticated with your use of blender, chuck! I like the ship - she looks very sturdy. I am not too fond of the swan though - it somehow mismatches my understanding of the empire. They are very arranged and military type of society - I doubt the swam would have much position in their mythology.

Some species, such as the Mute Swan (and the one on the ship looks like that type), common in Europe and Asia, can be very territorial, and will then attack any invading creatures, including humans or other swans. AFAIK, both males and females fight until death when defending their nest (however other swan species will retreat when significantly wounded). On the other hand, even the Mute Swan has been known to form larger colonies where there is plenty of food.

Philipp

Edit: s/subspecies/species/

Edited: 2012-02-23, 13:52

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-23, 13:46

I also wonder, aside from how the shape of the hull is similar to a swan's body, why the Romans used the swan head. I would guess the shipwrights so much loved the ships they were building that the decision was more emotional than political and practical. The head isn't even on the FRONT (prow) of the ship! face-smile.png

These vessels were used to move merchandise (grain and other cargo). They were a kind of 10th century DHL. face-smile.png It is not uncommon for merchants to "dress up" their vehicles as a way of advertising who they were, or at least to get people's attention.

And as Philipp has observed, the swan is more than "just a pretty face". face-smile.png

Should the swan head be removed?

What do others think?

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-23, 13:56

Progress Report

Today finds the ship evolving quite speedily:
PR3

Tillers, rigging and some sort of interior for the build yet to do. I'm still not satisfied with the textures of the wood.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-23, 15:18

I agree completely: this is a traders ship, not a battleship, so I see no reason why it should look militaristic. When I saw the swanheaded ship the first time, I thought of a German (or is it even international) haulage firm, that has flying swans as their logo (I am actually not 100% sure and I can't find the logo at the moment, but should be "Hela").

And well... from the water birds, the swan is the biggest and mightiest in Europe (maybe in the world?) and it is quite fast... so...

+1 for keeping the swans head face-smile.png

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-02-23, 15:22

Nasenbaer wrote: I agree completely: this is a traders ship, not a battleship, so I see no reason why it should look militaristic. And well... from the water birds, the swan is the biggest and mightiest in Europe (maybe in the world?) and it is quite fast... so... +1 for keeping the swans head

Nothing to add: +1 for the swan's head

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-24, 02:48

Progress Report

Today finds the exterior of the empire ship almost complete.
I found some textures I like for the wood of the hull, deck and masts. The deck house and/or the hatch covers could end up as player color along with possibly the upper portion of the hull. We'll see. face-smile.png Any suggestions?

pr4

With some sails and a pilot or two, she'll be ready to ply the Widelands seas.

The build sequence will take much more work. Right now she's just a hollow shell.

One step at a time.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-24, 07:07

My 2 cents on the swan: I perfectly agree with Philipp that the swan could be a good symbol.
But it is a good symbol for those who know a bit about swans and their behavior - and for a view from the outside at the Empire.
The Empire itsself would hardly like to use the swan as a symbol for the slow take off of their settlings face-smile.png

On the other hand I also agree with Sirver, that the swan --especially a white swan--
is generally more a symbol of beauty and pureness and doesn't fit a centralized, organised Empire too well.
Personally, I am also a bit prejudiced and will always asssotiate a white swan ship with Galadriel's elven entourage (LotR),
but that may be true for others as well.
Another point for me is that I would rather have a seabird than a freshwater bird for a ship on the ocean.
Albatros or gannet seem a good choice.
Finally, I somehow don't really like the position at the stern. I'd rather see it on the prow, the usual place.
If so many like the swan, we may at least change its color and use a red one, or blue, but not white.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-02-24, 08:35

The ship looks great, but the even gray of the inside of the deckhouse feels wrong: I'd expect it to be darker (unlit), less even (objects near to the window and door somewaht visible. Even if lit, the lamps of that age would result in an uneven lighting.

Philipp

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-24, 12:13

@Astuur - How about a player color swan ... or other device? As the artist, and one who likes a degree of historical accuracy, I admit I am prejudiced for the current design. However, as SirVer reminds us, the Empire of WL is NOT the Roman Empire.

The corbita ships also were known to sport fish tails and perhaps other stlyings on the stern. I'll try to work up some other designs for review.

@Philipp - The gray of the deck house interior was UN-intentional. face-smile.png It is a "shadow" material in Blender that I mistook for a flat black from the palette. I didn't note the difference until the model was rendered. Consider it fixed. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-24, 15:30

Fighting Swan

Here is a rough draft: e ne nw se sw w

Comments? (And yes, I know I haven't fixed the lighting in the deck house.) face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote