Latest Posts

Topic: Empire Seafaring Graphics

Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-02-20, 20:55

I personally prefer a merchant ship. Maybe I am influenced by Settlers II where they had a ship very much like the last one chuck posted: Settlers II ship

I know Widelands is not Settlers II but I like the ship. I know chuck will produce an even better looking one face-smile.png

+1 for merchant ship

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-20, 21:22

okay quick and simple ;): merchant +1

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-20, 22:41

Current tally:

galley= +1 merchant= +3

Just to let you know, at this point I have started BOTH. face-wink.png Worked on the merchant vessel yesterday and the galley today, but there soon will be a time (like TOMORROW, 21 Feb) that a decision must be made. One will be chosen and the other unfinished ship will be shelved in the archives for possible future use.

So, if you have a preference for one over the other, let us know

NOW!!!

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-21, 06:01

Go back and try to catch SirVer's attention again, Chuck
I am not convinced that he really meant to vote for the bireme.
I read him more like "If bireme, then please not the round shields".

Edited: 2012-02-21, 06:07

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-02-21, 08:57

If I know it all right, ships can (until now) only transport wares and soldiers(?) and are not able to fight against other ship. So it would be logical to use a merchant ship.

So: merchant +1

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-02-21, 11:04

Someone wrote: […], but there soon will be a time (like TOMORROW, 21 Feb) that a decision must be made. One will be chosen and the other unfinished ship will be shelved in the archives for possible future use.

IMO, in the long term, we might want to have them both: The Empire is the most spezialized tribe, as we see in buildings. Currently ships are, AFAIK, the same for all tribes except for their looks. I suggest that the empire gets two ship types, one for trade and one for military action. For balance (and "realism") they should have higher capacity than the all-purpose counterparts the other tribes use, i.e. The empire merchant vessel holds more cargo than other tribes' ships, and the Empire military ship can hold a bigger invasion force.

Philipp

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-21, 11:25

PkK wrote: For balance (and "realism") they should have higher capacity than the all-purpose counterparts the other tribes use, i.e. The empire merchant vessel holds more cargo than other tribes' ships, and the Empire military ship can hold a bigger invasion force.

this is kind of offtopic face-wink.png .. anyways let me ask you a question: You know on what mythological nation the atlanteans are based on, aren't you face-wink.png ? If yes think one more time about your statement ;). (And please don't take this as an offence face-smile.png - just wondered, why the Empire should be the one with the biggest ships)

Cheers Peter

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-02-21, 14:27

Nasenbaer wrote:

PkK wrote: For balance (and "realism") they should have higher capacity than the all-purpose counterparts the other tribes use, i.e. The empire merchant vessel holds more cargo than other tribes' ships, and the Empire military ship can hold a bigger invasion force.

this is kind of offtopic .. anyways let me ask you a question: You know on what mythological nation the atlanteans are based on, aren't you ? If yes think one more time about your statement . (And please don't take this as an offence - just wondered, why the Empire should be the one with the biggest ships) Cheers Peter

Well, I still hope for a third tribe somewhat based in reality, but I probably should have written "other tribe's" instead of "other tribes'". The Atlanteans don't really fit in with the other tribes anyway, with their supernatural / futuristic aspects. So, as long as the game stays somewhat balanced I don't really care for what Atlantean ships will be like.

Philipp

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-21, 15:04

@PkK - Your first use of "tribes'" was correct. It indicates a plural possessive, i.e. something(s) owned by more than one "tribe". face-wink.png

The Clock is Ticking

There is still time to vote for your favorite of the two empire ships (i.e. the galley or the merchant "corbita").

I am having fun working on these ships, but with 15 March just around the corner, I may just be having "too much of a good thing." face-grin.png

Here again are a couple of the images to which I am referring as I create the models: ships
The merchant "corbita", #1, is on the immediate left (sailing to the right) and the Roman war galley (actually a trireme), #2, is on the right in the foreground (sailing to the left).

If you haven't done so yet,

Vote NOW!

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-21, 15:08

Current Tally

galley= +1 , merchant= +4

I like modeling them both, so I'm abstaining from the vote. face-grin.png Unless we need a tie-breaker. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote