Latest Posts

Topic: Backwards compatible buildings

Sonnrain

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2011-11-21, 14:07

I have recently changed from playing Imperials to playing Atlanteans -- and I like the difficulties in changing my building and playing routines/strategies. So, I am in favour of keeping the tribes as different as possible! Also, I usually need more than one tavern and one inn to feed all my miners. I don't see the difference in building five inns or two inns and three taverns or four inns and a tavern or ... -- now, I just enhance the taverns as I enhance the mines.

Re. new players: The learning curve for widelands is quite steep anyway, I think, and changing the one building would not achieve much. It's better if all help resources stress that the tribes can be quite different in several aspects.

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-11-21, 17:39

Just a quick chip in...

I like the idea to say the meals are (better) substitutes for rations, so let's have them basic miners work on rations or meals; with the preference set to rations, and with a slightly higher outcome for a meal than for a ration - working longer gaining one ore more than on rations, but less than a master miner on meals.

That way, people who want can have meal-production early on, but on the downside of having to build the upgraded industry first (which should not be feasible in most scenarios), and on the downside of less efficiency.

QCS...

PS: Hope to have more time in near future for Widelands again... sorry about being slightly absent face-smile.png

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
Scottar

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-12-08, 08:13

As the game get more complicated with things like science and exploration added you would want to make things at the other end more simplified. It's kind of ridiculous to require 2 separate eating establishments or brewers for 2 levels of the similar product. If an inn can be advanced to tavern, then it should be able to prepare both rations and meals. It may be a requirement for more farms and mills to support the product though.3 farms for that BigMac dude.

And with the barbarians, why do you need 3 separate weapons MFG facilities to produce 3 different items? it like a computer factory starts out producing Pentium based computers but has to have a separate factory to upgrade to Quad-2s. you could have it where in order to upgrade soldiers at a certain rate you need to have two weapons factories or to produce soldiers at a certain rate you need more weapons factories with supporting resources.

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-12-09, 15:39

it like a computer factory starts out producing Pentium based computers but has to have a separate factory to upgrade to Quad-2s.

Ironically, this is exactly how it works in microchip production face-wink.png

Top Quote
Scottar

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-12-11, 03:32

Ever heard of retooling or adding infrastructural to an exiting factory to produce expanded and upgraded items? You just upgrade an existing factories facilities to produce the added item. Or you can add to the existing factory to produce the upgraded item. Like the mines upgrading to deeper mine. No need for 3 separate weapons factories to add to the confusion for a future, more complex game.

In microchip production they will shut down an old fab to retool and configure it for newer, upgraded chip production.

Top Quote
eastwind
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-01-18, 23:42

Hi Guys, I hope this post is going where it belongs face-smile.png I found a notice saying "Vote on upgraded buildings producing the previous product".

I think the way it works now is perfect. If you want to still produce the first product you just need a second building. Lets face it, you do not go to a sit down restaurant and expect to buy take away do you? Yes you can sometimes get a "doggy bag" to take home what you do not eat, but that is not the primary objective.

I think to have an upgraded building producing the original product would take from its efficiency. As to the Tavern and the Inn, if you only need rations you have a Tavern. When you need Meals you build an Inn.

When I have both buildings I can manipulate their output if I want to manually take care of it or I can let the game take the control and I will automatically have what the Empire needs. I really do not see why anyone would want it any different to the way it is :-).

Of course there is one very important issue here that I think is being overlooked completely. When I build my first building I am very close to my Headquarters. Later I am probably next to my mine or some other building that requires the product I am producing. If I put a warehouse in there also I will send my product to it instead of all the way back to my Headquarters. If I have small mines that needs rations, my local Tavern will produce them. When I upgrade to deep mines I will not want rations. I upgrade to an Inn. It is all about efficiency as far as I am concerned.

EastWind

Edited: 2012-01-18, 23:50

Hi guys, EastWind here. I am a fan of Widelands. I have started my own website promoting the game with a link to this site.

Top Quote
oibaf

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2012-04-02, 19:25

What about the latest poll?

Top Quote
SirVer

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-04-03, 09:28

I will discuss it when build 17 is released. It is currently more pressing.

Top Quote