Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian metalworks/axefactory/warmill Remodel

Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-04, 08:52

Chuck wrote:

The lathing gives it a pergola effect, don't you think?

Hm... quite frankly, for me it inevitably transports the meaning of "unfinished".

I'm still uncomfortable with the thatch over the forges, though. Lathing on both sides of the roof makes more sense to me.

So am I -- you're absolutely right about not wanting a thatched roof right above a fire.
But again I am having my doubts whether lathing is really the right idea.
We do have a Barbarian fire resistant roof material, remember face-smile.png
Yes, I know you would have wanted a clear line between military and civilian buildings, but if the requirements are so similar, the answers will be, too.

Modifying the framework does not seem too complicated either.

This is a quick 'n' dirty picture to summerize my suggestion:

Delete the elements marked by "X", cut the rafters at the red lines,
and for a credible solidity of construction, add the framework as shown.

So, if you want to give the idea of visible furnaces a spin, you could try something along theses lines, maybe.
If you don't, you can always fall back on the first model - or maybe just use the hard wood instead of the reed.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-04, 10:36

I have to chime in here again for the player colors: I know, i was the one who requested more player colors in the new buildings. But seeing them in the game now, I feel the player colors are to shrill and stand out compared to the other buildings. It works for cloth, but it doesn't work as well for wooden structures. Maybe, if the the color is much darked (that is, the material must be dark grey in the model instead of white) it works out better, or maybe it is better to just keep player color out of the models. Sorry for the 180 from my part :/. As usual, just my 2ç and chuck is the one with the decisions.

Top Quote
Shevonar

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-10-04, 11:15

I don't really share your worries about the fire under a thatched roof: I think (but I'm not sure) that people living in thatched houses in former times had to heat and cook somehow. Most probably they used fire (in a stove?). My point is that it might be not the safest solution but one that has historical examples. Additionaly the smiths fireplace has a solid chimney so the risk of a burning roof should be controllable. Last but not least I found this picture (I'm not sure about the roof in the background, but it looks like straw): smithy

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-04, 15:25

@Astuur: Thanks for the architectural advice. I'll give it a go.

@SirVer: 180's are a part of life, especially when living in an research & development environment. face-smile.png I'll darken the playercolor for your review. It's a quicky. face-smile.png

@Shenovar: I wonder if this guy builds his campfires INSIDE his tent... face-smile.png GREAT photo! Thanks.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-04, 17:33

What do you think of this attempt?

af-cr
I used the blackwood material for the post and bracing to ensure it withstood the stresses. face-smile.png

BTW - At least until we can add the smith to the working animation, for recognition of the production mode, I've increased the energy of the firelight and the volume of the smoke. I made one smoke plume a deep black and kept the other its gray color to provide contrast against various terrain and buildings.

I've darkened the playercolor to approx 50% gray. Give these a try if you like.
af pc

Comments please.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-04, 18:32

OOOoops!
THIS image has the 50% gray: afpc50 af-pc

Here it is in the game Axefactory at 50% gray, Metalworks at 0% gray: pc compare

Sorry! face-smile.png

Edited: 2011-10-04, 18:34

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-04, 18:44

If you want to see the working animation, I've pushed a personal branch to launchpad that has new files for JUST the working animation with the new roof and darker playercolor.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-04, 19:38

I have now added the remaining animation for the axefactory to my personal branch.

Comments pleez. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-04, 20:14

The only difficulty I see with the darker player color for the buildings is that it aggravates the current difficulty of discerning the current blue shade from black.

Compare the flag to the ends of the roof peak: dark blue

Maybe we SHOULD consider a lighter hue for the basic blue playercolor....

What do you all think about this?

Edited: 2011-10-04, 20:17

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-10-04, 20:52

Great furnaces, Great axefactory -- Ha! I love it
and very special thanks for being so considerate to change the embers, so that both do not show the very same pattern :)!
The shine from the fire is awesome, Chuck!!
For the warmill at last: For a real smith's fire, there ought to be some sort of bellows ....

Sorry can't check out any animations for today. Will do tomorrow

+1 for a whiter shade of pale --- äh I mean a lighter shade of blue. ...

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote