Latest Posts

Topic: Attempting new Water terrain Tiles

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-04, 13:06

I have tried to make new water tiles - currently only for greenland.
My aim was to give the impression of waves rolling ashore.
So this is meant for "ocean" rather than stagnant waterbodies.
Would it be possible to keep the old stuff for rivers and inland lakes, maybe?

I had to use some more pictures for the animation to show the effect.
I am not totally satisfied, but I have spend some hours already to get this
more seemless in time, when wrapping from wasser_10.png to wasser_00.png!
Can't manage somehow. But it's not really bad the way it is.
If somebody could point me to the place where the frame/sec are adjusted, I would like to play this a bit slower.
I have also changed the color of the water slightly; the old one seemed a bit too flashy - but that is again personal taste.
If I am to try something like that for Desert, it will be a lighter shade of blue,
not sure about winterland, and unwilling to meddle with the muddy stuff in Blackland face-smile.png

The pictures are for color comparison only.

For the animation you must replace the old files with the new ones.
I kindly ask you to do so, because you really have to see this on a map. The big question is:
Is the constant movement, even though it may look nice, not too distracting inside the game?

OpenGL plays somewhat smoother then SDL.
The terrain files are here for download.

old Open GL New Open GL old SDL new SDL

Animated gif for a first impression Greenland

Have been working on the Desert Ocean meanwhile; here is the result Desert

Edit:Forgot to say: The desert tiles are OpenGL only, they look bad on SDL. I have a 256 palletted imagem which is better for SDL, but worse on OpenGL. I am now trying to find a compromize.

Please give me your thoughts about this stuff.
Worth continuing?
Change anything?

Edited: 2011-06-05, 12:12

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-09, 08:22

After doing the Ice_flows animations, I have matched the color of the water anim in Winterland.
No additional lights here, because the blue already draws a lot of attention.

Been testing the water anims in the game.
I think Greenland and Winterland might be usable, - I'm not so sure about Desert.
It's too disturbing I think.
So I will try to rework this.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-09, 17:25

Given the lack of feedback, I follow my own assessment.
and have changed the desert water to something less irritating.

hey guys, that's a bit disappointing: 88 hits and nobody willing to comment?

Top Quote
fraang

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2011-06-09, 20:57

I really like them! face-grin.png Can you uplaod the new ones? Want to try them out.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-10, 08:10

Here is the archive
It containes the new Desert tiles, all new Water tiles, Ice_flows tiles for Winterland and the quarry stones
models for all worlds. (the hotspot may not be correct in all cases.)
There are no new water tiles for Blackland. (Do we really need that sort of water in this world?)

Some comments:
Changed wave direction for Winterland to be North-North-West (seems more fitting for winter)
Pictures should look good for SDL and OGl rendering.
Still working on Greenland animation for smoother animation flow.
Let the archive unpack in widelands\ and overwrite existing files. Revert from backup or fresh install.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-13, 15:51

@Astuur: VERY nice! I played around with the water graphics myself a while back but ran up against the animation loop issue and just didn't have the time to wrestle with it.

I haven't downloaded your files yet, but what I see here I really like. BTW, the gifs are a brilliant idea to convey the animation here in the forum. (I'm embarrassed to admit that that idea never occurred to me.) face-wink.png

A thought: You might experiment with darkening the winterland water or give it more of a gray, steely look to convey the colder climate.

Great work! Keep it up! face-smile.png

I'm sorry to have responded so late.

Cheers!

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-13, 17:46

Hello Chuck, nice to have you dropping in here again!

The trouble with the animated gifs is just, that the playing speed is totally independent from what it will be within the game!
I have tried a good guess to make it look similar, but this is not WYSIWYG, and I need a coder to tell me where the speed might be finetuned.

As for the winterland water (and Ice-flows) color, I had initially thought exactly the same thing:
Make it steel grey. I had even done some preliminaries.
But the truth is, we have sun in this winterworld, we have distinct shadows, and not much speaks for grey skies and ambient light,
that would justify a grey ocean.(Besides, it doesn't really look good with dulled refelctions face-smile-big.png
All the same, if you want to see it, I can give you a steel grey version.
It is not much work to change the color.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-06-16, 09:50

Very good to have someone working on the water textures. They have been bugging me quite a bit :).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-02, 16:59

@Astuur: You will find the file "terrainconf" in each of the world's directories. The section "wasser" contains an fps= parameter you might be able to play with. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-02, 17:50

Thanks -- I found them meanwhile face-smile.png

Top Quote