Latest Posts

Topic: Dedicated server launched.

ninjasmercy

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-04-24, 11:34

Hello everybody.

I've launched an dedicated server of my club for Widelands yesterday and would like to know if anyone finds it in any way useful (I hope You will :D) We're testing it atm. and if You have any suggestions or encounter problems, please inform me either there or on our website: http://www.ninjastyle.org/

Thanks to the devs for great open alternative to S2 and also cool game on it's own face-grin.png

--Merc'y

Top Quote
fraang

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2011-04-24, 13:33

Hey that's cool! :D But I am not sure how to connect to this server.

Top Quote
ninjasmercy

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-04-24, 13:49

The server should be listed in lobby as "ninjastyle.org (build-16)". Once you connect issue in chat: "@ninjastyle.org help" it will list all the commands you can use to operate the server and configure session. The commands have to be issued with same prefix so the sceheme is "@ninjastyle.org [Command]"

The fastest way to start game: You have to either fill (you can use enemy AI) or close all the slots, using "@ninjastyle.org toggle_type [Slotnum]", after it's done you can start game by "@ninjastyle.org start" And it should work.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-04-26, 10:33

super cool! Did you modify the server in any way or is this the dedicated server as shipped with build 16?

Top Quote
ninjasmercy

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-04-26, 12:03

It's build-16 dedicated server compiled on Debian 5. The only thing changed is the 'nickname of server' to show as my club website address.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-07, 18:03

Hey :),

seems your server is unfortunally no more running. However I wanted to announce a new dedicated server feature: saving via chat command - if enabled (per default -> disable with --dedicated_saving=false), the players can send the dedicated server a chatcommand like "save Mein Spiel" - the server will than try to save the game to ~/.widelands/save/Mein Spiel.wgf

Hope you like it face-smile.png

Cheers

Top Quote
ninjasmercy

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-07-07, 19:05

Hello,

Thanks for mentioning it, seems cool. Is that new feautre available only from widelands source repository?

I am thinking about hosting widelands again, unfortunately atm we are having some problems with servers in our club so it will have to wait some time.

Also, although this feautre is nice, I think there should be some new interface made for the multiplayer games, when our server was yet online and running it seemed like half of the players joining didn't understand it was a dedicated server at all. Looking at the console I saw players talking to the 'host' things like 'hello' 'are you there?', others didn't understand how to operate dedicated server via the chat commands, so most of the time people got scared easily and left the server before anything started.

I am not that much into programming (I am learning and working on hobby projects so I have some clue tho) but I think an idea is to make the dedicated server send some signal to the client so it initialises an other copy of the interface which is made to work with dedicated servers and sends appropriate commands to the server based on actions from the clients GUI, however, I don't know if it's possible to implement such feautre in widelands at it's current state.

Another thing I think that should've been implemented is some kind of administration system or at least an option to switch between public - everything available to players, adminstrated - game options available to admin by password, joining available to everyone, private - passworded server.

Thanks for interest. Greetings, Merc'y

Edited: 2011-07-07, 19:09

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-08, 12:37

ninjasmercy wrote: Is that new feautre available only from widelands source repository?

yes, it was merged into trunk yesterday, so to use it, you either need to compile widelands from trunk (quite easy if you use the build script in widelands' top directory) or you have to wait for a build for your system.

I am thinking about hosting widelands again, unfortunately atm we are having some problems with servers in our club so it will have to wait some time.

Nice to hear you are thinking about hosting again and sad to hear about your server. I think it would be mostly important to have a dedicated server for Build16 - simply because "normal" players that need a server (other way would be opening firewall on port 7396 and forwarding the port to the pc on the router ...) will use that version. Developers and community members that stay up to date with development have prepared their environment for hosting games in most cases... face-smile.png

Also, although this feautre is nice, I think there should be some new interface made for the multiplayer games, when our server was yet online and running it seemed like half of the players joining didn't understand it was a dedicated server at all. Looking at the console I saw players talking to the 'host' things like 'hello' 'are you there?', others didn't understand how to operate dedicated server via the chat commands, so most of the time people got scared easily and left the server before anything started. [...]

I completely agree with you and it is not impossible to create such interfaces - but it is as well not trivial, therefor there are other things to do before that will be done (at least if i look on my personal widelands to do list face-wink.png )

Another thing I think that should've been implemented is some kind of administration system or at least an option to switch between public - everything available to players, adminstrated - game options available to admin by password, joining available to everyone, private - passworded server.

I agree as well - I already thought about that, but did not work on it. This feature is more likely to be implemented in near future... but well "likely" ... let's see face-wink.png

In any way it would be cool to have those ideas posted as feature request on https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands .

Cheers Peter

Edited: 2011-07-08, 12:38

Top Quote
ninjasmercy

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-07-18, 10:52

I think I will wait with compiling the source until new Beta/RC/Whatever release comes on the news page. ////Will try to bring build-16 server back today. Can't promise anything tho... It should be back online now.

As for launchpad - could You please post them instead of me? It's not anything personal, I just have network problems atm...

Merc'y

Edited: 2011-07-18, 13:00

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-07-18, 20:55

Great to hear :).

I will try to post them there - but might take a while - am quite busy at the moment - so perhaps tommorrow face-smile.png

Cheers

Top Quote