Latest Posts

Topic: Selection of Soldiers

Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-10-05, 22:12

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the way soldiers are selected to be sent to a building. I mean I have trained soldiers of different levels in my warehouse. When I send one of them to a military building I would expect the soldier with the highest level to leave. But it seems to me kind of luck, if it's one of them. Most time I have to try a lot till I get someone I want. So how does the game choose the soldiers?

Another thing is, that I would like to see, how much soldiers I have in the warehouse with a special level. As I think about it, it would be very confusing to see all different possibilities of levels that a soldier can have… But an own button for "elite soldiers" (highest reachable level), would be nice. face-smile.png

Just for info: I'm playing bzr5560 (daily built) in ubuntu-lucid.

Greetings

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
timowi

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-10-06, 12:43

no selection of soldiers. The first soldier from the nearest warehouse is send to a building. So it is a bit luck to get trained ones there.

A feature to show the levels of soldiers in a warehouse is planned but not implemented yet.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-10-06, 13:08

Okay, but what does "the first soldier" mean? I didn't see any system there…

And is there a reason, why there is no selection?

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
timowi

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-10-06, 14:09

You can not see it. It's a implementation detail. They are in a list sorted somehow (I think sorted by their internal serial) and the game took the first soldier from the list. For you this looks random but from code view it is deterministic which one is taken. This is just the easiest way to do this. Nobody has implemented a intelligent selection yet.

Top Quote
egg

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-10-08, 14:35

Venatrix has two good points here. While most of realize that production is more important than combat in Widelands, it is very frustrating to the player who has created a well trained, powerful soldier to see him left behind in the fort while an injured trainee is sent out to do battle. Personally, I would like to see a dividing line in the fort, sentry. whatever: soldiers to the left of the line will be left in defence while those to the right are are the first to out to battle.

Also, he is right to ask for information on what soldiers are in a warehouse: currently, the only way to find out is to complete a military building and see what comes out of the warehouse.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-10-08, 14:48

I agree with all mentioned points and in fact, there are already some plans to improve things in those parts of the game face-smile.png ...

cheers nasenbaer

Top Quote
ivh

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-10-08, 15:37

As a reasonably frequent player, I would also second these suggestions.

On a related topic, I believe it is the case that soldiers do not heal in warehouses and I wonder if this is a bug or a feature. I found it strange to see an injured soldier exit that was in the warehouse for a very long time. face-smile.png

Top Quote
nsh

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-29, 19:59

Hm, I found the bug report on the same thing right before I found this thread. Looks like the topic is hot. I reported a suggestion there https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/536548

Top Quote
Seraph

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-12-06, 05:24

Hey there... There might be another topic about this and this one is not the most recent one, but anyway: Wouldn't it be the best way when a popup apears when i click on an enemy military building that shows only the different levels of the available soldiers and when i click on the level icon, one of this kind of soldier will be added to a visible attacking queue! Only one last click on ATTACK.. And then the selected soldiers in the queue are attacking! Simple and intuitive! Like: If i have only 2 different levels of soldiers the popup will only show two icons with the two levels. Below the level icons there is a list (like in the military buildings) where the soldiers will be added!

Here is how it could look like: http://www.be-refreshed.de/images/screenshots/Fakeshot_small.jpg (bad fake with paint XD, sorry)

That would be cool!

Regards, Seraph

Edited: 2010-12-06, 07:12

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-12-06, 09:15

Wow, I like Seraphs mockup and I think this is an excellent way to design the attacking UI. What do others think?

Top Quote