Latest Posts

Topic: Depleted Mines

nilpotent
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-02-15, 13:59

I wasn't aware that you could get multiple tries from each unit of food; I thought it was one-to-one. And, yes, I forgot to take into account that the Deeper Mine has a better success rate. That changes things considerably.

If I my arithmetic right, that means there is a (0.9)^5 = 59% chance that the Meal will be spent without producing a (e.g.) Coal. So, each Coal will require 1/0.41 = 2.44 Meals on average. That isn't nearly as dire as what I had imagined, and a Deeper Mine is definitely better than a Mine when depleted, but the point is well taken: A depleted mine is still way more expensive than a well-resourced one.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-02-15, 14:28

For sure getting minerals from depleted veins is much more expensive, as it should be. I frorgot to mention that the numbewr of attempts differ between different mine types as well. E.g. a coal mine has more attempts as a ironmine. I just wanted to make the point that you can't make any assumptions about costs from the information how fast at max a site can produce, if fully stocked.

Edit: regarding your arithmetic. the attempts are not dependent on each other, so I believe it you need 10 attempts on average to get a coal resulting in 2 meals per coal on average.

Edited: 2022-02-15, 14:32

Top Quote
nilpotent
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-02-19, 06:18

You are right; I had misunderstood. I guess I haven't paid enough attention, but I just spent a while watching mines and I see you are right. All this time, I thought one coal, etc., required one ration, etc. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Top Quote