Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Depleted Mines

nilpotent
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-02-15, 12:59

I wasn't aware that you could get multiple tries from each unit of food; I thought it was one-to-one. And, yes, I forgot to take into account that the Deeper Mine has a better success rate. That changes things considerably.

If I my arithmetic right, that means there is a (0.9)^5 = 59% chance that the Meal will be spent without producing a (e.g.) Coal. So, each Coal will require 1/0.41 = 2.44 Meals on average. That isn't nearly as dire as what I had imagined, and a Deeper Mine is definitely better than a Mine when depleted, but the point is well taken: A depleted mine is still way more expensive than a well-resourced one.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-02-15, 13:28

For sure getting minerals from depleted veins is much more expensive, as it should be. I frorgot to mention that the numbewr of attempts differ between different mine types as well. E.g. a coal mine has more attempts as a ironmine. I just wanted to make the point that you can't make any assumptions about costs from the information how fast at max a site can produce, if fully stocked.

Edit: regarding your arithmetic. the attempts are not dependent on each other, so I believe it you need 10 attempts on average to get a coal resulting in 2 meals per coal on average.

Edited: 2022-02-15, 13:32

Top Quote
nilpotent
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2022-02-19, 05:18

You are right; I had misunderstood. I guess I haven't paid enough attention, but I just spent a while watching mines and I see you are right. All this time, I thought one coal, etc., required one ration, etc. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Top Quote
Kontorotsui
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2022-10-01, 11:02

hessenfarmer wrote:

For sure getting minerals from depleted veins is much more expensive, as it should be. I frorgot to mention that the numbewr of attempts differ between different mine types as well. E.g. a coal mine has more attempts as a ironmine. I just wanted to make the point that you can't make any assumptions about costs from the information how fast at max a site can produce, if fully stocked.

Edit: regarding your arithmetic. the attempts are not dependent on each other, so I believe it you need 10 attempts on average to get a coal resulting in 2 meals per coal on average.

This is interesting. Where do we get these numbers?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-10-01, 13:37

Kontorotsui wrote:

This is interesting. Where do we get these numbers?

currently only fromm the lua files of the mines.
However you might guess the number from the number of minerals produced shown in the in-game encyclopedia.

Top Quote
andreiosu121
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2023-04-26, 03:09

I think that this issue also needs to be resolved from the AI side as well. Currently in all my games, (normal AI difficulty) the AI stops building its military after all of its mines have been depleted. As the player I know to keep my depleted mines running, however the AI deleted all of its depleted iron mines. I think that this should be changed, but I know it will probably be a long while.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2023-04-26, 07:28

andreiosu121 wrote:

I think that this issue also needs to be resolved from the AI side as well. Currently in all my games, (normal AI difficulty) the AI stops building its military after all of its mines have been depleted. As the player I know to keep my depleted mines running, however the AI deleted all of its depleted iron mines. I think that this should be changed, but I know it will probably be a long while.

That sounds indeed like a bug. For fixing iit a replay and a savegame together with the version used would be very helpful. Can you provide this information?

Top Quote
andreiosu121
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2023-04-29, 01:43

I just realized that I am not playing the latest version. I'll try to replicate the situation on the latest version and see what happens.

Top Quote