Reviewed and corrected.

Muchas gracias

Top Quote
Lerxst
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-08-20, 14:14

Recently a bunch of ship names have shown up on Transifex. Most of them are not translatable (e.g. Heldrek, Khantrukh, etc.), but some are. For instance some Roman god names (Apollo > Apolo, Mars > Marte) or Atlantean's "mineral" names (Mystic Quartz would become Cuarzo Místico, and Tiger Eye would be Ojo de Tigre). Is there an official stance about this? Should the ship names be translated, if possible, or should they keep their "original" names? If I'd name my yacht "Bounty", I'm not sure I'd like to see it translated somewhere to "Recompensa" or "Subsidio". face-grin.png

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big. -- Rush

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-20, 14:24

It's up to you. For Low German I chose the policy that names with a real meaning (e.g. minerals, gods, islands) are translated, and fantasy names are left as they are (with some cosmetic changes to make some of them easier to pronounce). If you want you can also invent completely new names for those without meaning though.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-20, 15:43

Nordfriese wrote:

It's up to you. For Low German I chose the policy that names with a real meaning (e.g. minerals, gods, islands) are translated, and fantasy names are left as they are (with some cosmetic changes to make some of them easier to pronounce).

I have done the same for the german translation.
You may translate (and I recommend to do so) all the names that have a real origin (e.g. roman gods, real islands, real animals see translators comments) to the pronounciation/spelling of the relevant language.
you should not translate in game characters at all.
In case there are any uncertainties (as your example "bounty" is one of them probably) please open an issue on transifex.

If you want you can also invent completely new names for those without meaning though.

These are mainly the barbarian ships. They were invented with some nordic and very strange sound in mind I believe so thchanging them to something completely different might change their character.
so these are the origins of ships tribe names. (every tribe as in game characters as ship names)
- Barbarians: fantasy names, big/dangerous wild animals
- Empire: Roman famous persons, roman gods, named parts of the seas
- Atlanteans: Minerals and islands (mostly in the carribean)
- Frisians: Parts of the north frisian geography (mainly islands)
- Amazons: (not yet on transifex) rivers (mainly from South/Middle America)

Top Quote
Lerxst
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2020-08-20, 20:43

Thanks for the insight. Unfortunately its not always stated to which tribe a ship belongs, but I'll do my best. In case of doubt I'll comment and/or open an issue.

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big. -- Rush

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-20, 21:10

Lerxst wrote:

Thanks for the insight. Unfortunately its not always stated to which tribe a ship belongs, but I'll do my best. In case of doubt I'll comment and/or open an issue.

Tribe belonging can be estimated from the order. Atl, bar, emp, fri

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-08-21, 16:52

You can see it in the context tab.

context

The reason we made even the untranslatable names translatable is that some languages who do not use Latin script might want to transliterate the names.

Edited: 2020-08-21, 16:53

Attachment:
context.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-06-15, 22:06

Could someone please update the spanish-speaking downloads page to be in sync with the english downloads page?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2021-06-29, 08:35

Nordfriese wrote:

Could someone please update the spanish-speaking downloads page to be in sync with the english downloads page?

Done.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2022-07-24, 22:41

just in the hope someone pinned this thread from the spanish community. As we are moving to version 1.1 (only very few bugs still not fixed) it is time for anybody wanting to help to translaten the open strings.

I would do it myself as far as I can do this. In this case I wpould be more then happy if any reviewer would revies my translations (they can be filtered in transifex)

Top Quote