Latest Posts

Topic: Tech Tree

the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-05, 10:32

There have been many posts recently and for me there is an Idea to solve a lot of them:

A Tech Tree

The beginning of the game is peaceful but then you can invest in different things, which will lead you to your own individual path

• attacking the enemy

• reduce time for bakery, coal mine and all the buildings by 5% each point invested

• strenghten fortresses by the defender only takes 30% or 50% damage

and not the healing bug

-

So: Depending in what you invest you can either at the strongest economy, defense builds and everything, important is that defense upgrades only in the beginning

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-05, 10:43

There have been many posts recently and for me there is an Idea to solve a lot of them:

A Tech Tree

The beginning of the game is peaceful but then you can invest in different things, which will lead you to your own individual path

Great idea! face-smile.png

It would be non-trivial to code that e.g. working times can be decreased during the game for just one player, but I the concept is very nice. So we would have several "research plans" with different costs and prerequisites available, and when a player has fulfilled the prereqs and gathered the wares cost, he can buy the plan, which gives him an improvement in a certain area and makes 1-2 new plans available for buying.
We could even have a new win condition "The player who buys all plans first wins" to solve the issue in the other thread.

Fundamental mechanics like attacking should not be made to depend on such research, but productionsite efficiency increase, construction duration shortening, perhaps small soldier improvements (like all soldiers +1% defence) and more useful things like this are are one of the best ideas I read here for quite some time face-smile.png

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-05, 20:23

i don't like it. too much of a change into the base game. this game is already complex enough without adding in more factors anyway.

ù plus, it would not change the basic multiplayer strategy: worldsavior does it better than all and defeats anyone else.

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2020-05-06, 07:46

king_of_nowhere wrote:

it would not change the basic multiplayer strategy: worldsavior does it better than all and defeats anyone else.

Is this to be meant ironic?

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-06, 08:05

JanO wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

it would not change the basic multiplayer strategy: worldsavior does it better than all and defeats anyone else.

Is this to be meant ironic?

I believe it is not ironic but sarcastic face-wink.png

Edited: 2020-05-06, 08:05

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-06, 08:26

king_of_nowhere wrote:

i don't like it. too much of a change into the base game. this game is already complex enough without adding in more factors anyway.

I am also against this idea. Implementing it would mean changing widelands at all.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
the-x
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-06, 11:25

rule No 1: no one can beat world saviour

if it happens than that is some kind of bug

To the Idea: dont misunderstand, there is nothing added, changed.

Only the times can be reduced, like production times, which gives a lot of possibilities without adding or changing

Nordfriese wrote:

A Tech Tree

Great idea! face-smile.png

It would be non-trivial to code that e.g. working times can be decreased during the game for just one player, but I the concept is very nice. So we would have several "research plans" with different costs and prerequisites available, and when a player has fulfilled the prereqs and gathered the wares cost, he can buy the plan, which gives him an improvement in a certain area and makes 1-2 new plans available for buying.
We could even have a new win condition "The player who buys all plans first wins" to solve the issue in the other thread.

Fundamental mechanics like attacking should not be made to depend on such research, but productionsite efficiency increase, construction duration shortening, perhaps small soldier improvements (like all soldiers +1% defence) and more useful things like this are are one of the best ideas I read here for quite some time face-smile.png

Also I like this very much, like having different paths

and it is the easiest way to solve the problem of players being at the beginning to strong whilst if they constructed a defensive of many fortresses not able to defend - by making offensive stronger only by research

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2020-05-06, 21:54

king_of_nowhere wrote:

ù plus, it would not change the basic multiplayer strategy: worldsavior does it better than all and defeats anyone else.

face-grin.png

kaputtnik wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

I am also against this idea. Implementing it would mean changing widelands at all.

Exactly, so I'm also against it. Could be an idea for an add-on though face-wink.png

the-x wrote:

rule No 1: no one can beat world saviour

if it happens than that is some kind of bug

It's not a bug, it's a feature. Okay, joking aside: I'm not unbeatable. Theoretically everyone could execute the actions which I execute and play like me.

To the Idea: dont misunderstand, there is nothing added, changed.

Only the times can be reduced, like production times, which gives a lot of possibilities without adding or changing

This would be a big change though.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote