That would allow for a permanent rating system, on the website, and bring a bit more competitivity in the game (outside the tournaments)
- Motivation, one more game might mean you'll get ahead on the ladder for example
- Less games where one player overwhelmingly lead the game.
- Might push for more maturation of the meta of the game "yeah the best players do that and that", we already kind of have that, but it would be represented by more players than simply a few known names
- Motivation, some players could be discouraged by a low rating score. Though nobody would be force to participate of course
- New feature: time needed, testing, more bugs.
- Might not be applicable to other modes than 1vs1
After a bit of discussion with Worldsavior, he suggested using the Glicko system. The main advantage compared to something like ELO, is that Glicko tries to add variation for people that don't play a lot (which is pretty frequent in the widelands context compared to chess for example)
"The RD measures the accuracy of a player's rating, with one RD being equal to one standard deviation. For example, a player with a rating of 1500 and an RD of 50 has a real strength between 1400 and 1600 (two standard deviations from 1500) with 95% confidence. Twice the RD is added and subtracted from their rating to calculate this range. After a game, the amount the rating changes depends on the RD: the change is smaller when the player's RD is low (since their rating is already considered accurate), and also when their opponent's RD is high (since the opponent's true rating is not well known, so little information is being gained). The RD itself decreases after playing a game, but it will increase slowly over time of inactivity. "
How we could envision a rating system without changing anything in regard to game and server:
We create a new page, specifically for ranking, when you click on it the first thing you see is the current rank of everyone who's ranked. Preferentially in the playtime scheduler "index" page
If you want to be ranked too, there will be a "my rank" page accessible from there:
- You click on a "get me ranked too" button
- You play a game against someone who's also already ranked and lose/win
- You and your opponent both confirm the score of the game in the page "name of player" "win?Loss?tie?"
If we want more automatically update of games
It has also appear the website and the game are starting to be really synchronized (with the password with actual security for example). So I think it's a good time to start and discuss such system. Maybe there could be a way for the website to know directly who you player against and the score of the game? That could pose some problems when the game bug and the game has be restarted?