Latest Posts

Topic: Trees need fertile land but do farms?

mxb2001
Topic Opener
Version: 1.1
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2019-05-20, 19:38

From what I've read I learned trees need the best land, but I could not find an answer to whether farms (all growing types I mean, even the reed farm) need it too? Also I did read that farms don't actually need all the space around them as they only can use a few (5?) anyways. So practically speaking a farm only needs access to 1 space radius rather than 2? Thing is in the first tutorial I learned the wrong thing, the reed farm gave me a message not enough room to grow reeds so afterwards I always tried to max out the space available to all farms. That is a mistake isn't it?

--
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-20, 19:53

mxb2001 wrote:

From what I've read I learned trees need the best land, but I could not find an answer to whether farms (all growing types I mean, even the reed farm) need it too? Also I did read that farms don't actually need all the space around them as they only can use a few (5?) anyways. So practically speaking a farm only needs access to 1 space radius rather than 2? Thing is in the first tutorial I learned the wrong thing, the reed farm gave me a message not enough room to grow reeds so afterwards I always tried to max out the space available to all farms. That is a mistake isn't it?

Hi and welcome,

try to answer your question per building:
- reed farms have a working radius of 1. (you can see this from the init.lua file of the reed farm in data/tribes/buildings/productionsites/barbarians/reedfarm) That radius is calculated from the building itself. This means you have 6 possible spots where 1 spot is covered by the flag of the building. You can see the working area by clicking on the area symbol in the building window. (area spots are highlighted). As far as i Know the redd farm does only need 3 of these spots available to run at 100% productivity.
- farms have a working radius of 3 (frisians) or 2 (other tribes). Here the building takes 3 spots instead of 1 + the flag spot leaving only 3 spot in the first radius. farms need 4 to 5 (other tribes) or 6 to 7 (frisians) free spots to operate at 100 %.
- terrain affinity: neither barley or wheat or reed do have a terrain affinity only trees and frisian bushes have this property.

Edited: 2019-05-20, 19:54

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-05-21, 01:07

hessenfarmer explanation is great.

what I can add is that your reed farm either had too many roads around, or too many trees got planted.

as for farms, with non-frisians on perfectly flat ground you can arrange your roads in a 4x4 grid (all straight roads running east-west and SW-NE, each parallel road separated by 4 steps), and in each square there is space for one large building, and a farm inside one such square will produce at 100%. For frisians, you'd need to cut a few roads; say that if you delete half the horizontal roads, or half the diagonal roads, you'd be fine.

Top Quote