Latest Posts

Topic: Limited storage space in warehouses.

kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-29, 07:43

The fact that any change can potentially damage Widelands, cannot justify a default negative stance to changes in general.

Thats not true in my opinion. If that would be true, widelands would not be as it is. Many ideas coming from players got implemented (to list only two: Forrested mountains, Frisians tribe).

Please do not hijack other threads with your opinion about the conservatism of the contributors to widelands and start a new thread face-smile.png

Back to topic please.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-29, 07:43

But I find it increasingly unworthy to reason against mindsets. It is an irony that Wide-lands is suffering from narrow-ness.

Widelands is not suffering from this mindset in the opinion of the people who don´t want this change…

If I understand the proposal correctly, I would be forced to choose between forever micromanaging all my woodcutters, wells, fisher etc, which I find very boring, or building new warehouses all the time, which I also dislike. That is why I vote -1.

Additionally adding a small storage building with limited capacity, as was also suggested, but not touching the normal warehouses, is an interesting idea; I don´t see any reason against it (though I personally can´t see any situation when it would be useful).

Edited: 2018-08-29, 07:45

Top Quote
dreieck
Topic Opener
Version: -git
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2018-08-29, 09:32

ypopezios wrote:

Nothing new here. Still I remain impressed by the level of conservatism of this community (as a whole), no matter if a suggestion is revolutionary and breaking or just an optional imitation of Settlers. The funny thing is how some arguments are merely efforts to reword "I'm allergic to changes"...

I did not have that impression in this thread. The most elaborative opinion against this suggestion had a very constructive answer, indeed.

While my personal opinion is still in favour of the player-selectable option of limited storage warehouses, it should not be part of decision making (only if someone asks, like in a poll), especially as long as I do not contribute in a meaningful way.

Especially, the other way round: Although I was new to this forum, I was not ranted away but my suggestion was taken seriously. This makes me giving a praise to this community.

Back to topic:

And, indeed, the next constructive thing:

einstein13 wrote:

But going back to the topic: what about introducing small building which would work as a limited warehouse? Then standard warehouse can be a bit more expensive and Widelands as a whole will work as before, plus some features face-smile.png .

-- this way a player who wants to restrict himself can still do so!

I really like that option.

Edited: 2018-08-29, 09:37

(empty signature.)

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-29, 13:41

It's not strange that most proposed changes are quickly rejected. In fact, there is a new thread with a new proposal about every week, it would be really crazy if the majority of those were implemented. especially the revolutionary ones, that would require a large change in playing mechanics. And this game already has the right kind of micromanagement for my tastes (you have something to do most times, but you don't need to get crazy chasing every single occurrence), greatly increasing it with warehouses filling is not my fondest dream. So you'd have to stop all the woodcutters to avoid them cluttering the warehouses and stop the mines. Or most likely a target would be set for logs, so that woodcutters would stop by themselves. Now I want to chop down a forest to build stuff over it, but i can't because the woodcutter won't work. And if I manually tell them to chop regardless, then my weappon smith will stop working because it has no storage space.

No, thanks.

moreover, the vast majority of arguments against specific changes have been about their side-effects, not about the changes themselves. And instead of focusing on what's wrong with Widelands that makes it theoretically so fragile to changes

every complex system is affected by change in complex ways. And if such a system is to be kept carefully balanced, then of course any change is going to impact balance in a meaningful way that must be assessed. And most of the times it clashes with something else.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-29, 20:24

king_of_nowhere wrote:

every complex system is affected by change in complex ways. And if such a system is to be kept carefully balanced, then of course any change is going to impact balance in a meaningful way that must be assessed. And most of the times it clashes with something else.

I fully agree to this. Balancing is always a main concern, cause it is really hard task to achieve.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-30, 11:04

einstein13 wrote:

But going back to the topic: what about introducing small building which would work as a limited warehouse? Then standard warehouse can be a bit more expensive and Widelands as a whole will work as before, plus some features face-smile.png .

I just had the same idea - that should work without breaking any maps. It's then up to the players which type of warehouses they want to build.

ypopezios wrote:

Especially when it is about software, the easiest thing is to revert a change.

Any software change can be reverted, but the developer time spent on it will be lost forever. The more complicated the feature, the more complicated and non-trivial it is to revert it, because other developers will have merged other, unrelated changes in the meantime... So, we do need to think carefully before we start implementing complicated features. Thinking carefully does not imply instant rejection.

I am not against this feature if it's an additional small building, but I'd rather see trading implemented first.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-30, 16:04

GunChleoc wrote:

einstein13 wrote:

I just had the same idea - that should work without breaking any maps. It's then up to the players which type of warehouses they want to build.

but why woould anyone make a limited warehouse instead of a full one? even with lower cost (by the time you need warehouses, building material is cheap) and greater space requirements (again, if you need a warehouse your land is large) i can't imagine anyone wanting to make the lesser warehouses

Top Quote
Arty
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2018-08-30, 18:04

As far as I can see, having a tradehouse storage limit only adds the necessity to plan and micromanage production more. And while I understand, that some players would welcome this additional challenge, I personally would never turn this feature on. For me the point of the game is that I don't have to micromanage so much. I don't want to have to keep building warehouses or temporarily turn off buildings, just because my production is (maybe even temporarily) somewhat unbalanced and builds up some wares.

king_of_nowhere wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

einstein13 wrote:

but why woould anyone make a limited warehouse instead of a full one? even with lower cost (by the time you need warehouses, building material is cheap) and greater space requirements (again, if you need a warehouse your land is large) i can't imagine anyone wanting to make the lesser warehouses

In most situations players would likely just build a regular unlimited warehouse for the reasons you stated. Sometimes it might be convenient though when you want a warehouse as buffer to support a local production cycle and you only have small building places nearby. But I agree that the usefulness of limited small warehouses (in addition to regular ones) seems extremely limited.

Also, for just smoother local production cycles I'd rather have an option to tell a building to only request wares from producers/warehouses within a certain road distance (which I can also set for the building). That would mostly even elimiate the need for small local warehouses. I'll probably make a proper, more detailed proposal about this later, but first I want to check out all the code more to better assess how difficult such a feauture would be to implement.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-30, 22:21

As Arty said, limited warehouses would be small building and in a very limited spaced maps they would be useful. Of course there is a workaround for that: just make your road more efficient.

So probably this feature would be useless, unless your real warehouse would be very expensive (some extra tribe-specific building products? 50% more standard ones?). Then the balance would be a bit changed and probably from 3% usefulness of small warehouses we would reach 10-15% of usefulness?

The only question is: is it worth to create such a feature?

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-31, 10:23

So probably this feature would be useless, unless your real warehouse would be very expensive (some extra tribe-specific building products? 50% more standard ones?). Then the balance would be a bit changed and probably from 3% usefulness of small warehouses we would reach 10-15% of usefulness?

Please keep the normal warehouses as they are! I wouldn´t object to the limited storage buildings, but only if gameplay without them is not penalized.

By the way, the capacity of warehouses is already limited – by your computer´s RAM face-wink.png

The only question is: is it worth to create such a feature?

This is only a toy for players who want to make the gameplay harder for themselves. I don´t believe anyone will ever use them in a tournament or multiplayer game.
I don´t see a reason against implementing this, but I can imagine better ways to spend programming time…

Top Quote