Latest Posts

Topic: game speed

amp_mangler

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-02-28, 01:46

Hello everybody face-smile.png

I just registered! been playing the game for 1 month have a small( LARGE ) problem, after playing for 4 or 5 hours the game ( my machine? ) gets so slow the game becomes impossible to play, the mouse moves SOO slowly and animations become jerky machine is

Xeon 3360 quad core @ 2.83 Ghz 4 gigs ram Asus server P5BV-C mother board on board audio and video (X7/X9 XGI XG20 core video,CM8738 audio) graphics DOESNT run in enhanced mode, apparently the MB isnt capable I have PCI Express video slot X16 BUT it will only run X1 speed I do have two spare RAM slots

its maybe Im short on resources ??? can anybody help please ? BTW its an EXCELLENT game best regards to all from australia

Joe OOOPS !!! I forgot to mention latest Karmic OS

Edited: 2010-02-28, 01:53

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-03-01, 14:06

Hello amp_mangler,

first of all, just to check that nothing completely stupid is going on: does the problem persist if you save the game, restart Widelands fully, and then load from the savegame?

The rendering of Widelands is rather slow, but rendering time should stay more or less constant throughout the game. Maybe you have a lot of traffic jams?

Top Quote
egg

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-03-02, 09:02

Or the enemy has a lot of traffic jams. This problem seems to be solved on recent builds, i.e. since build 14.

Top Quote
amp_mangler

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-03-06, 22:39

Gday all face-smile.png

problem is consistant, that is when I save and restart its faster SLIGHTLY but after about 3 or 4 mins playing its even slower than B4

yeah I do get traffic jams, but, by adding flags and this gets solved. Ive also had some crashes !!! whole game just dissapears and Im back at my desktop it DOESNT save, BUT if I manually saved the game I still have that. after reading some posts I have noticed that I have similar probs as others, ONLY one processor runs, and at 100% all the time, the others run at like 5% or so I am hopeless at software face-smile.png so I hope Ive explained myself well, I actually built hardware all my life, mainframe stuff

best to all, and keep up the excellent work face-smile.png

Joe

oops again, I didnt mention I play the game in times two speed, I find it too slow ( probably for me ) otherwise. game is latest available that I know of vers 14

J

Edited: 2010-03-06, 22:42

Top Quote
timowi

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-03-07, 09:54

It's not a problem of your System. It's a problem of widelands. It uses far too much cpu atm. Your grapicscard andrest of your system have nothing to do with the problem. Widelands needs only processing power. Graphics are done completely in software. The configuration makes no difference. The biggest problems seems to be wares on the roads. If there are too much laying around (At the computer players flags too) it slows down the game. And Soliders moving around take much power.

yeah I do get traffic jams, but, by adding flags and this gets solved. Ive also had some crashes !!! whole game just dissapears and Im back at my desktop it DOESNT save, BUT if I manually saved the game I still have that. after reading some posts I have noticed that I have similar probs as others, ONLY one processor runs, and at 100% all the time, the others run at like 5% or so

Thats normal. Widelands is a single threaded application so it can never use more than one core. If it uses more the one cpu something is wrong.

keep on waiting for update. face-smile.png

One last thing: From where do you get widelands? Which OS do you use? Perhaps your widelands executable was compiled without optimizations.

Edited: 2010-03-07, 09:59

Top Quote
amp_mangler

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-03-08, 01:18

Hi Timowl, my OS is latest Karmic Koala ( aka Ubuntu v 9.10 ) I obtained the download from this site, found by using Google.

and thanks for answereing me :), most forums never even acknowledge my existance !!!

IF you ( or others ) are really interested I can supply all the feedback you need ( I think face-grin.png ) cause there ARE a few bugs that need sorting, BUT as I cant write ANY software at all I was hesitant to point out errors, or bugs. Anyway, BUT here goes

1. I play full screen, every so often ( like say two to five minute intervals ( NO set time ) ) the screen blinks and goes to desktop size, by that I mean I get taskbars top and bottom BUT game still in screen, mouse is frozen, as are the animations, about two or three seconds later the screen blacks out totally, ( as if the screen has been put to sleep ) moving the mouse restores everything to normal
  2. audio stops at random both music and effects, it doesnt restart untill I start the game from scratch

they are the two worst bugs

one thing I have noticed !!! with small game maps I dont end up with slow speed, even with lots of soldier traffic AND traffic jams

thanks for taking the time to answer me

all the best from Australia

Joe

once again I forgot something !!! my game is precompiled !!

J

Edited: 2010-03-08, 01:24

Top Quote
amp_mangler

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-03-08, 03:05

me again face-smile.png

I tried making my own compile, I get this error message scons: *** No SConstruct file found. File "/usr/lib/scons/SCons/Script/Main.py", line 830, in _main

anybody sucker enough to help ??? please ?

Joe

Top Quote
timowi

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2010-03-08, 06:19

We use cmake to build now. See http://wl.widelands.org/wiki/WidelandsGoingCMake/

About the first point: Maybe your screensaver or some power-saving is jumping in? Does it happen when you use widelands normally or when you wait and watch? Perhaps there is some app in the background which tries do do something with the screen. Perhaps some sort of popup.

The second one: I had some problems with the pulseaudio sound under ubuntu. It seem to have some sort of crash sometimes. Sometimes this causes widelands to be even slower and take two cores completely. (The single-thread point was not completely true. LibSDL starts a second thread for audio output). The audio thread use 100% cpu time then and slows down widelands. Only starting widelands without sound system or killing pulseaudio lets widelands run at normal speed again. The other issue is that sometimes volume control does not work properly. (Affects other applications too) Widelands has no sound then and hangs on exiting.

Edited: 2010-03-08, 06:56

Top Quote
amp_mangler

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-03-08, 20:06

morning all,

Thanks Tim, will recompile using CMake this morn

Ive tried running with and without audio, speed in latter stages still slows down with OR without sound your right about the game hanging without sound though- completely locks the system will report on new compile later today

Joe

Top Quote
amp_mangler

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-03-09, 03:15

hhmmm Tim,

CMake huh ??? I only need 30 years to learn alla that stuff

I DID warn you !!!! my software knowledge is SMALL @ $140 per month for 8 gigs TOTAL bandwidth I will be 300 years old by the time I download and read that stuff the reason I went with SCons is that it was all neatly laid out to copy and run

sorry to waste yer time

Joe

Top Quote