Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2017: subscriptions started (and random chit-chat)

WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-02, 20:25

GunChleoc wrote:

Well, I must admit that I lack the ambition to get better at playing - that's reserved for my coding efforts face-wink.png

Okay... But at least, you used every tribe in the last tournament (except for that mysterious tribe called random)

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-03, 08:47

Yes I did - I usually use Barbarians for testing, because it's less mouse clicks to start a game. So, I decided to mix it up a bit to get to know the game better.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-04, 02:43

five days after the announcement, we still only have 3 pplayers - including myself. doesn't look good...

@ gunchleoc: as the guy who used the game you code, I am glad you're focused on the coding rather than the gaming face-smile.png

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-04, 08:57

Probably this is because you want to set up new tournament quite fast. Previous tournaments had much longer breaks. I understand that you want to play, but probably it will be better if you change the idea of whole tournament into well prepared games (it would be pseudo-tournament) :). After some break (half of year? few months?) you can try to collect players one more time.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-04, 14:52

GunChleoc wrote:

Yes I did - I usually use Barbarians for testing, because it's less mouse clicks to start a game.

In fact, barbarians might be the best tribe for testing face-smile.png (Much wood, not so many dangerous deadlocks etc.)

king_of_nowhere wrote:

five days after the announcement, we still only have 3 pplayers - including myself. doesn't look good...

Maybe many people need two weeks to discover the tournament or something like this. Don't they?

I would prefer a tournament where each round can have the duration "one week" maximally. Two or even 4 weeks are a long, long time.

einstein13 wrote:

I understand that you want to play, but probably it will be better if you change the idea of whole tournament into well prepared games (it would be pseudo-tournament) :).

Would the games in the tournament not be well prepared? What do you mean with "pseudo-tournament"? face-wink.png

After some break (half of year? few months?) you can try to collect players one more time.

I think that this is very pessimistic. After the last november, there might be some people who want to play in a tournament. And the first phase of the last tournament has been many, many weeks ago already face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-04, 15:04

einstein13 wrote:

Probably this is because you want to set up new tournament quite fast. Previous tournaments had much longer breaks. I understand that you want to play, but probably it will be better if you change the idea of whole tournament into well prepared games (it would be pseudo-tournament) :). After some break (half of year? few months?) you can try to collect players one more time.

well, in the worst case scenario, there will be no tournament, and I will propose it again after summer. If people don't want to play again "only" three months after the end of the previous tournament, there's nothing I can do.

WorldSavior wrote:

I would prefer a tournament where each round can have the duration "one week" maximally. Two or even 4 weeks are a long, long time.

So you prefer a tournament with large maps, where often one cannot finish a game in one evening, and you would also like that tournament to finish all rounds in one week.

Well, then I would like that my tournaments attracted mass media attention, and I would be praised for my organizational efforts and offered a place as minister of sports face-smile.png I'd say the two wishes have roughly the same chance of being fulfilled

Top Quote
Hasi50
Version: 1.2 (selfcompiled master etc)
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-03-04, 17:12

Subscribe

Here are the widelands where people may dwell, walking around care that evrythings well.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-04, 21:31

Hasi50 wrote:

Subscribe

I told in the first post, you need to pm me. I am requiring pm because the previous time there were some people who said they were interested and then forgot about it

Top Quote
Mars

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2017-03-05, 08:46

I am also going to take part in the next tournament, I already sent a PM to king_of_nowhere.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-03-05, 20:04

WorldSavior wrote:

einstein13 wrote:

I understand that you want to play, but probably it will be better if you change the idea of whole tournament into well prepared games (it would be pseudo-tournament) :).

Would the games in the tournament not be well prepared? What do you mean with "pseudo-tournament"? face-wink.png

The tournament is well prepared. I don't have any wrong feelings about that! But if there is not enough people, we can make something not official. Idea:

Make some ranking with names and "points" for winning. More games you win = better place you have. Everyone can join any time. Example, we decide that first game will be on Saturday, 8 PM CET. Some players agreed on that (at least 3) and everyone can join. After all 6 people met, have a nice game, and everything is recorded. Next week Wednesday the same (different time). So there is another game. After some time (2-3 months?) we can see results where not everybody played every time, but there are a few people who are on the top of the list.

Mars wrote:

I am also going to take part in the next tournament, I already sent a PM to king_of_nowhere.

Good to see you, Mars! Long time! face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote