Latest Posts

Topic: MacOSX build file

ken.cunningham.webuse
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-10-08, 17:48

I have constructed a build file for MacPorts that builds the tip of the 1.9 dev tree. No intervention should be required. Just download the Portfile to any folder, and "sudo port -v install" from that folder, and the latest version of widelands should install for you into /Applications/Macports. Move 1.7 or 1.8 out of the way first or it'll get overwritten.

https://github.com/ken-cunningham-webuse/myports/blob/master/games/widelands-devel/Portfile

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-11, 10:25

Thanks for doing this, Ken! Maybe it makes it easier for people to get into development of Widelands on Mac.

If your goal was to only play the game, there is a simple way though: I provide nightlies of the tip of trunk for Mac OS X. They are build the same way that the Mac OS X releases are done (I do those too), so they should work on most Macs out of the box.

Top Quote
ken.cunningham.webuse
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-10-14, 01:31

Ah - great. Didn't know about your builds. Good to hear!

Top Quote
Hasi50
Version: 1.2 (selfcompiled master etc)
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-10-16, 13:41

Hello ken,

thanks for that file, I used MacPorts to fetch all the dependecies, but never set up a port file mysefl.
some comments:
* you dependencies fetch libsdl_gfx which I did not need?
* bzr complains:
Not checking SSL certificate for xmlrpc.launchpad.net.
You have not informed bzr of your Launchpad ID, and you must do this to
write to Launchpad or access private data. See "bzr help launchpad-login".
No idea if we can rid of this?
OTOH I get no progress from bzr which confuses me
* The notes claim:
notes \
"On some systems, Widelands might demonstrate button artifacts or other visual \
\nanomalies. If this occurs, consider editing ~/.widelands/config to change \
\nthe opengl setting to opengl=\"false.\""
This does not hold any longer, Windelands always needs openngl now

I will post another message once I have reached a final status.

thanks again

Here are the widelands where people may dwell, walking around care that evrythings well.

Top Quote
Hasi50
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-10-16, 14:20

The old definiton is really old :-) port search widelands widelands @build17_7 (games) open-source real-time strategy game inspired by Settlers

OK, was build sucesfully, and I could open it!. Just the Icon has this ugly "No parking" sign. Not sure if this is not some kind of "build" artifact.

Here are the widelands where people may dwell, walking around care that evrythings well.

Top Quote
ken.cunningham.webuse
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-10-16, 16:13

I hope you find it useful! There are some idiosyncrasies to using it this way, but it's easier than most build methods.

libsdl_gfx not needed any longer thanks! this was left over from my 1.8 build script, but good to know it can be removed now

bzr complains... there are some idiosyncrasies using bzr on macports, and you found most of them. The SSL certificate thing I have no idea about. The launchpad ID I presume is because macports is downloading it anonymously, without logging in. There is absolutely no progress indication, which is too bad. I can see the d/l happening on my d/l meter, and that's the only clue.

One other thing about the way macports builds things when using source control systems like bzr, git, or similar -- all the downloaded files are dumped at the end of the build, so next build, you get to download it all again. I think there's no way around this easily. But C'est la vie. It works.

notes Ah - I can remove that opengl bit then. thanks!

old definition

here, there is something to know. when you download the build file and build it as I mentioned ("sudo port -v install" from the download folder") macports will use the new build file. but if you "sudo port info widelands" macports looks into it's own database, finds it's own last portfile (which in your case is the 1.7 version -- BTW you should sudo port selfupdate macports to pull in my newer 1.8 version).

There is a way to have macports see your own portfiles -- by setting up a local repository, which most macports 'power users' seem to do, and as i do. Instructions are here https://guide.macports.org/chunked/development.local-repositories.html and I have some more of my own instructions here https://github.com/ken-cunningham-webuse/TigerPorts for a Tiger port repo I maintain. Once you figure out how this works, it's very powerful.

You can do a lot to the build using macports this way. Adjust your own options in the portfile, and adjust your own dependencies. You can download the source (sudo port extract), tweak it in the download folder (cd port work widelands-devel), then build it (sudo port build), destroot it (sudo port destroot), and finally install it (sudo port install) all in separate stages if you like.

the steps are slightly different if you're using the portfile 'loose' in a folder as I initially indicated, or if you've set up your own local repository (my recommendation), or if you're building from the macports repository directly.

I hope this helps to make it all more useful and interesting for you.

K

Top Quote
Hasi50
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-10-22, 13:45

Hello ken,

I used your Portfile to build widelands dev on some old iMAC (24" late 2008)

For the Record, just using port install will do, -v will just produce a lot of verbose output

looks like this worked just fine

Top Quote
Hasi50
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-11-13, 14:46

Hello Ken, two things:

• Now that build 19 is final can you upate this in the main Portfile repositoy?
  • Can you add an "offical" WidelandsDev Port file? (I had quite some trouble finding your Forum entry again, to many ports face-wink.png )

Top Quote
ken.cunningham.webuse
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-11-13, 20:45

Will do, thanks.

I have had a 'widelands-devel' port up for consideration to include in macports for a while now https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52542 but to be honest things can move slowly on macports and they've never gotten around to including it. Perhaps they never will....

Top Quote
Hasi50
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-06-10, 18:14

Hello ken,

please remove the dependency from SLD.NET, as of https://code.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/net-boost-asio we do not need this any longer.

I will check once you canged it.

Thx

Top Quote