Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Load map/ Save Map UI

GunChleoc
Avatar
Joined: 2013-10-07, 15:56
Posts: 2910
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: RenderedRect
Posted at: 2015-02-27, 16:22

I am working on the interface for loading/saving a map. bug 1390793

This is the current work in progress for saving maps - loading maps will look the same:

Editor Save Map WIP

The buttons on the bottom from left to right are: "Make Directory", "Cancel", "OK".

Of course, everything still needs to be aligned properly, especially on the bottom. My questions to the map editors are:

  1. Do you like the general layout? If not, how can it be improved?
  2. Is all the information you need displayed here?
  3. Is there any information displayed here that nobody needs? Keep in mind I will use the same layout for loading maps.
  4. Which map properties should be in English, and what should be localized? At the moment, I only added the localized map name to the top right and left everything else in English.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Avatar
Joined: 2014-09-14, 01:54
Posts: 254
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-27, 17:26
I'd include the size and the number of players.

I'd also drop the map name (it's usually very similar to the file name) and maybe replace it with the mapmaker's name.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Avatar
Joined: 2013-02-18, 20:48
Posts: 1733
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Germany
Posted at: 2015-02-28, 11:13

I agree with DragonAtma.

GunChleoc wrote:

  1. Do you like the general layout? If not, how can it be improved?

I think the second colummn in the table isn't needed.

  1. Is all the information you need displayed here?
  2. Is there any information displayed here that nobody needs? Keep in mind I will use the same layout for loading maps.

Some maps do have additional infos like "suggested Teams". Could this be shown also?

  1. Which map properties should be in English, and what should be localized? At the moment, I only added the localized map name to the top right and left everything else in English.

Don't know if the Map should be localized. The most interesting thing is the Map description.

Currently i could not compare with the current windows, or take a closer look into this. I remember one thing that i regret is the behavior with the file extension (.wmf): If you want to save a previously saved map, the extension in the "Save as"-field isn't shown. Because the difference between the table (where the mapfilenames are allways shown with extension) and the "Save as" field, someone ( i face-wink.png ) is maybe uncertain about the filename. So i would suggest to allways show the extension in the field "save as".


Top Quote
SirVer
Joined: 2009-02-19, 15:18
Posts: 1439
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Germany - Munich
Posted at: 2015-02-28, 11:55

Definitively an improvement. The okay button should be green.


Top Quote
GunChleoc
Avatar
Joined: 2013-10-07, 15:56
Posts: 2910
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: RenderedRect
Posted at: 2015-02-28, 16:35

Thank you all for your input.

I think the best way to go ahead will be to make it look like the Full-screen Load game/New game/Load Replay screens as much as possible. This will give us both a more uniform layout for the players/editors, and some code reuse for the programmers face-smile.png

As to the file name, why not crop the .wmf file extension in both the list and the input field. Less information, less to type and a cleaner look. This will also conform to MAC usage (Macs don't care about extensions) and Windows Explorer standard options.

Edited: 2015-02-28, 16:37

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Avatar
Joined: 2013-02-18, 20:48
Posts: 1733
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Germany
Posted at: 2015-02-28, 16:54

GunChleoc wrote:

As to the file name, why not crop the .wmf file extension in both the list and the input field. Less information, less to type and a cleaner look. This will also conform to MAC usage (Macs don't care about extensions) and Windows Explorer standard options.

I am no friend of hiding the file extension to the user... But its a matter of taste face-smile.png


Top Quote
GunChleoc
Avatar
Joined: 2013-10-07, 15:56
Posts: 2910
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: RenderedRect
Posted at: 2015-02-28, 17:44

kaputtnik wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

As to the file name, why not crop the .wmf file extension in both the list and the input field. Less information, less to type and a cleaner look. This will also conform to MAC usage (Macs don't care about extensions) and Windows Explorer standard options.

I am no friend of hiding the file extension to the user... But its a matter of taste face-smile.png

This is definitely open for discussion face-smile.png


Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Avatar
Joined: 2013-02-18, 20:48
Posts: 1733
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Germany
Posted at: 2015-03-01, 12:00

I am certainly not sure how to handle the file extension. For me i allways want to know such things, and e.g. disable the "hiding options" on windows. For normal users, the extension is maybe unnecessary.

By downloading a map from Maps, the "save as" dialogue displays the extension.

Maybe a good way is to show the whole filename with extension but allow to edit only the filename and not the extension.

DragonAtma wrote:

I'd also drop the map name (it's usually very similar to the file name) and maybe replace it with the mapmaker's name.

Because the Filename could differ from the mapname (the name you give on the map options menu), i think the mapname should be shown. I sometimes forget to give a Map a name and if this property isn't shown anywhere, there is no "reminder" to give a map name.


Top Quote
GunChleoc
Avatar
Joined: 2013-10-07, 15:56
Posts: 2910
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: RenderedRect
Posted at: 2015-03-01, 12:20

kaputtnik wrote:

Because the Filename could differ from the mapname (the name you give on the map options menu), i think the mapname should be shown. I sometimes forget to give a Map a name and if this property isn't shown anywhere, there is no "reminder" to give a map name.

Good point. The panel in the right will currently show the properties of the map selected on the list. I think it should rather show the properties of the map that is currently being edited, and a button to let you edit those properties. Good idea/bad idea?


Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Avatar
Joined: 2013-02-18, 20:48
Posts: 1733
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Germany
Posted at: 2015-03-01, 12:37

GunChleoc wrote:

I think it should rather show the properties of the map that is currently being edited, and a button to let you edit those properties. Good idea/bad idea?

In General a good idea. But as i understand you would use the same menu for loading and saving a map. Don't know if editing the properties is possible if you just want to load a map.


Top Quote