Latest Posts

Topic: Button "next" in Building window

SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-19, 07:15

I do not think it is a great idea to add information about all buildings into the window of a specific building. Also the "go to next/prev" does not belong into a specific building imho. It is a property of your whole country. The building window already has a lot of buttons to understand, if you now overload it's context with global state, it becomes even harder to understand.

IMHO, the right solution is to make the building statistics menu more useful and easier to open and navigate. Suggestions and mockups for this would be welcome :).

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-19, 21:53

Also the "go to next/prev" does not belong into a specific building imho. It is a property of your whole country.

In my opinion its not a question about property, it is a question of usability. Don't know if i play widelands wrong, but i get often in a situation, where i want to quickly(!) switch to another building of the same type. Some examples:

• Warehouse gets ready: Mostly i want to store some specific wares (most the wares to build buildings) or soldiers in the new warehouse. After i make the common tasks, i want to change the settings in an older warehouse (Do not store those wares and soldiers)
  • Quarry/fisherhut gets out of Ressources: Then i want to check the other Quarrys/fisherhuts.
  • Military buildings: If i enlarge my country i want to store fewer soldiers in earlier builded military buildings or want to dismantling those
  • check all lumberjacks if they have enough trees to cut
  • etc.

Because i want this quickly, i don't want to use the buildings statistic menu. Therefore i have to scroll around the country and sometimes its like finding a needle in a haystack face-sad.png Or i have to remember where those buildings are, and in my age this could be hard face-grin.png

The building window already has a lot of buttons to understand, if you now overload it's context with global state, it becomes even harder to understand.

Clicking on a button and afterwards the windows scrolls to another place. Is this hard to understand?

Could you explain "global state"? I am not sure what this mean.

IMHO, the right solution is to make the building statistics menu more useful and easier to open and navigate. Suggestions and mockups for this would be welcome

• create a shortcut for this window; "b" ?
  • Make a button on the buildingswindow which open the building statistic window and point directly to the corresponding building

face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-19, 22:28

I second kaputtnik - it is about usability, but his suggestion "Make a button on the buildingswindow which open the building statistic window and point directly to the corresponding building" is also worth considering...

Yet a question - if we have there arrows go to previous/next one, also the window itself will be changed so that it will belong to that previous/next building?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-19, 23:13

if we have there arrows go to previous/next one, also the window itself will be changed so that it will belong to that previous/next building?

Yes, that behavior i would suppose. Because most windows are opend in the middle of the screen (somehting that i would also change) you have to scroll the window to see the corresponding building. Clicking on this would open another window which covers the first one. In the end you would have several windows at the same place which covers each other.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-20, 07:02

Could you explain "global state"? I am not sure what this mean.

With global state i mean state that is not local. With local state I mean the state that is particular to the current building. I.e. the productivity of one brewery is local to this brewery, so are the wares and workers that are currently inside this brewery. The number of brewerys and their average productivity is global state. Currently the building window only deals with local state - with the exception of the "help" button, which connects local state to the global help; I see this as a kind of hyperlink to ease navigation. I see it as a bug that there is no other way right now to get to this help, but we will address that with the new help system.

Also the "go to next/prev" does not belong into a specific building imho. It is a property of your whole country.

In my opinion its not a question about property, it is a question of usability. Don't know if i play widelands wrong, but i get often in a situation, where i want to quickly(!) switch to another building of the same type.

We want the same :). UX is defined by how easy it is to find a feature, understand a feature, and use a feature. I agree that the feature you suggest (moving to next buildings quickly) is important and should be addressed. I am just arguing that the building window is the wrong place to implement the feature. My argument is that it might be easy to find there (it is in your face with the buttons), but it is making the window as a whole more confusing: it mixes global and local state (see below). The mixing becomes even worse when you add in average statistics for all buildings as was proposed earlier.

Some examples:

• Warehouse gets ready: Mostly i want to store some specific wares (most the wares to build buildings) or soldiers in the new warehouse. After i make the common tasks, i want to change the settings in an older warehouse (Do not store those wares and soldiers)
  • Quarry/fisherhut gets out of Ressources: Then i want to check the other Quarrys/fisherhuts.
  • Military buildings: If i enlarge my country i want to store fewer soldiers in earlier builded military buildings or want to dismantling those
  • check all lumberjacks if they have enough trees to cut
  • etc.

I agree these use cases are all important.

Because i want this quickly, i don't want to use the buildings statistic menu. Therefore i have to scroll around the country and sometimes its like finding a needle in a haystack face-sad.png Or i have to remember where those buildings are, and in my age this could be hard face-grin.png

The real problem here is that you do not want to use the building statistics menu. Why? I argue because it is hard to open and use. The functionality you want is already implemented - but it is in a "far away menu" (i.e. needs a lot of clicks). And this menu is hard to use (the list is too long and hard to navigate). The first issue can be addressed by making the window open on a hotkey. The second issue needs redesigning of the menu - which is overdue. I believe the list is a bad idea and instead having the buildings in tabs and in the same order as in the build menu will help. The numbers could be displayed as 4 (+1) (you own 4 and 1 more is being build). Productivity can be displayed as (min%, mean%, max%). All of these numbers could be made clickable to cycle through the buildings that match (i.e. pressing min% will cycle through all buildings that have a red (i.e. low) productivity). I also like your idea of adding a button to the window menu that opens the building statistics menu with the current building type (and the cycle state on the current building, so that any click gets you to the next) - like the help button this is a kind of "link" to the display of global state, not the state itself.

I would love to see a mock for this suggestion.

Edited: 2014-11-20, 07:03

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-20, 08:02

with the exception of the "help" button, which connects local state to the global help;

In build 18 i do not have such a button.

The functionality you want is already implemented - but it is in a "far away menu" (i.e. needs a lot of clicks).

Yes, too many clicks and time to find the wanted building.

I will try to make a mockup containing your ideas the next days.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-20, 10:35

kaputtnik wrote:

with the exception of the "help" button, which connects local state to the global help;

In build 18 i do not have such a button.

Some Barbarian buildings do, e.g. the Lumberjack's hut. A lot has changed since build18, so comparing to build18 doesn't make a lot of sense anymore. Can you try getting a current nightly build?

The functionality you want is already implemented - but it is in a "far away menu" (i.e. needs a lot of clicks).

Yes, too many clicks and time to find the wanted building.

I will try to make a mockup containing your ideas the next days.

Thanks face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-26, 21:28

A lot has changed since build18, so comparing to build18 doesn't make a lot of sense anymore. Can you try getting a current nightly build?

Now i have build r7261-1 and ... wow... very good work face-smile.png

As promised i am working on a mockup for the Buildings statistic. But i am unsure about:

Productivity can be displayed as (min%, mean%, max%).

Should there the digits be displayed? This would look like:

buildstatmockup

I am not sure too, how the clickable digits are to be displayed. IMHO the clickability should be optical given, you should see, there is something to click. In this picture i testet to make additional Buttons beside each row in Build(const.)-colummn. But those Buttons has to be one for allready builded and one for "under construction". Making so much buttons per row (imagine this for "productivity" too) isn't nice at all.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-27, 07:47

I think we could completely get away from the list object here. Think about having a box for each building and what you could do with it. This would use up more vertical space to scroll, but we wouldn't get the problem of having a very wide window.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2014-11-27, 08:55

+1 for the tabs, they look awesome and are a great idea face-smile.png

+1 for getting rid of the list. I have a screenshot how settlers2 did it and I think we can go for something just as compact and document through tooltips.

S2 screenshot.

Top Quote