Latest Posts

Topic: XP with large Map and BZR ... 6895? foo95!

Adamant

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-11-03, 15:51

Brief Fazit: playable but no Fun! Especially for Aspects of coming up SeaFaring! It's rather clear that several Things are ReConstruction and find Things disabled does not clearly indicate what Direction Things realy go.
However, several Things are IMO no trivial FallBack-Mechanism which results from disabled Features but appear as new implemented Features which simply cross the past given Possibilities to utilize the Ships in a more direct controllable Way. I did abuse Feature Expedition to attract rather generic Materials needed for most Constructions aside of Special Gold. In BZR I testedv a new designed Map I did find that Ships which abort their Expedition did return with their Load always to first Harbort built no matter where the Expedition started. I don't think of Random but Intention here and wonder WHY THAT CRIPPLING?

I encountered another new Bug-Behavior concerning Economy which effected that ConstructionsSites did not get Materials from ECO/WareHouse even these were available. Their Needs/Calls got simply ignored as unlinking via Road and reverse did cause ECO to care about new claimed Needs. Castles called for Ceramics, these available in WareHouse but no Calls supplied by Puts. Other Bug was that SawMills did not produce Wood even ECO called for but rested with MSG ECO does NOT need Wood. Work around by removing the Roads from SawMills to cause them to do process their Trunks and attached the Mills to exchange Materials and repeat Procedre.
Another Bug I figured out concedrned Harbourts: placing two neioghbored left any Flags anyway concerned to Player 0 and build at triggered any ErrorHandler in Game. Placing ConstructionSite caused no Problems but their Replacement triggered Error. I wonder what it is: CSite can call for Wares even othout proper Flag-Owner while the Eco-Site triggers it. Perhaps it was Emission of Worker rep Builder? Bizarr!

I figured out several critical Problems I was not able to treat them with good PlayerExperience: CSites allocatd Bulders, Eco did not deliver all Materials, and however I got tight of several Workers. The Problem is: there EXIST a stupid autopmatized Behavior to deal with Materials and Workers with little till no Possiblity for the Player to intervenate into Actions. EG: there are two Isles, Lumbers are tight, two LumbererShafts per Isle build but just a single Lumberer per Isle possible and planned. When I want to replace a Lumberer from one Shaft to another but on same Isle it may happen that the Lumbere goes to Port to travbel to other Isles and on other same Game for the second Lumberer that shall get replocaed asd well. That Way I did wait for Hours for Materials and Workers. I don't call for better AutoMechanism to solve that Matter better resp until it fails the bettter Players have to learn how to deal with Stupidity with Game but to let the Player play the Game directly instead just doing place CSites and Roads and determine several ProductionLimits in the Game. At present the Player have to learn how to evoke Worker5s in what Order to handle to cool Eco-Inteligence which want to free him from LowLevelMatters and with SeaFaringExtension it cause more and more Problems. I say there is not something wrong with the Road but with the Wheels: we should not optimze the Roads for SquareWheels!

Iencountered also a Problem with placing dense the Port-Fields on the CoastLine: Exploration got very tricky due to in Closeness of CoastLine Ship did always hold next another free PortSpace.

I wonder also about SightRange of Ships: about one ShipLength! So they have all Day Black Fog or something like.

There is another Problem related to IdleChains: It's SynchronBallett of Trees and all other Things like. Solution is rather simlpe: These Objects need Asynchronity instead their present synchron Timing. Think of Waves: There is Phase Alpha and Frequence f: ANM (t) = alpha-shift + freq * sin (t) . For Sin(t) you may simple assume any SEQ 1,2,3,4,5,.... , more f means faster chaning and alpha means another StartPoint in SEQ.

Another cheap Point is dynamic NOISE for the Images. You need about 4 Bits for Variation per Pixel and with it added to PixelColor RGB adding random Noise to ech Pixel change the View of the Screen totally. It makes the Image look lesser synthetical and more dynamic.

I tested with a BZR and thus these Results for Playing are rather unsafe about their remaining Meaning but Result is that Game is almost not playable or is not really playerable for large Maps where the occuring Problems encounter large Distance and Delays from staged Depency. BZR is even not a RC and lesser a Release but Things for SeaFaring require CHANGES. WL R1..R10 maz have been able to went this or that Way but with Distance and SeaFaring Things will change clearly. It require more MicroManagement to preserve the NASA to NOT send another Builder to WL-MOON OR send one back while another there due to stupid Mechanism do that that Way since Discovery of Fire.

It did really annoy me to got an inclomplete Castle, build start building any other Site to get Materials and before Builder arrived I cancld CSite and Materials went back to another Destination - I did not check out where. Same Way Soldiers and other Units. That Way is a ... Term BagStreet ? WL have to go other Ways or Seafaring won't get a Feature but Pain for Players. What misses is Control over MicroManagement while in Past Management ended at Sites and movable Units keeped unsteerable by Player directly. Only Ships meant a Change. For Ships I MISS very 6 new Directions: 60° are in deed insufficient. Please consider to replace the Arrows from CTRL with a SteerWheel with 12 HandSticks to let Player select preciser / finer Directions and fasctor in that a free SpacePort is notz always a strong Reason to stop Jopurney and do other Things. I don't think the Anchor is a good Choice to represent building a Port at the Coast.

The Map I work is 512 X 512 large. That's already rather nice large but I suggest to enlarge to 1024x1024 to allow more Water between the large Isles that it is lesser simple find another Isle. Actually it was for the 512X512-MAp about 50% Likelihood to hit another Isle and thuhs just a Nip of getting interesting. Exploring a found Isle was hard as Ship did stop each Position. For Exploration of Isle I would prefer the Ship goes close to CoastLine to discover more the InLand.

I hope till Release a Lot of Things will still change. However, it was good to see that a Lot of Things seem to change. I like that Players are lesser invited to reload a Game while playing hiding the Looad-Button from them. But for MapDesign it is not a Feature but Obstacle and without Menu I needed always the TaskManager to get back to DeskTop and term the Game.

The R-Mouse-Button-Feature in the MapEditor is really no Feature but PRoblem. 100 other Funcs would be more useful than closing the Stuff you work with. Undo, 2nd Terrain-Type, Inverse, 2nd Func like Alt. to set Hight Height instead inc/dec etc would be much more helpful than closing the ToolBox. or MiniMap.

Ships NEED to get visible on MiniMap or get lost that Way. The Sink-Ship-Button is anyways as meaningful as an explode-button for Car due to unused Cars in a ParkHouse cause Trouble with Transfer of People and Goods. A Port got crewed with Ships due to lesser WorkLoads: Ships stayed in Port and hindered the remaining lesser Ships. I did NOT sink the Ships due to I was not able to move them manually to another Distance. Please don't explain with Logic or GameStyle.

I am looking for first RC anytime and am curious what it may get. WL is nevertheless a nice Game.

Forgot one Point: Ducks like Water but always stay close to Terrain and even fly/walök there - but on the Ocean there are no Ducks but ... other Kind of Birds. Ducks have to learn to keep close to Land and and walk on Terrain. Albatross may fly on Ocean as well as other well known SeaBirds. Consider several larger SeaAnimals - some may get dangerous for Ships.

SeaTrade is really important for the Game. Is it possible to create a single Tribe and per Script to mnake from virtual SubTribes but keep Trunk to allow Exchange of Goods?

I wonder why Wolves and Rabbits walk together along the Road. There is no Idea of Raptor and Prey, and Propagation.

regardes, ADM

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote