Latest Posts

Topic: Resources on Island

flipflipsen

Topic Opener
Version: 1.2
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2013-10-08, 12:21

When starting a game, there are 4 pieces of gold. Just enough to build 2 Ports. Suppose, I play a map with about 4 or 5 islands, then I can build a port on my home island, and another one on one of the other islands.

If on the home island, and the other island, there is no gold, you can never reach the other islands, because you are out of gold.

It would be nice, that if you explore, and you reach an island, that you get a message, of what kind of resources are on that island, so you can decide to land, or to move on to another island. What do you think of this?

Edited: 2013-10-08, 12:22

Top Quote
Adamant

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-10-08, 13:23

I thought about Matter of Gold and wondered if more Gold would increase Fun. I am not very sure if ever but for sure not beyond 8 Units of Gold. I still wonder why my Ports need Gold and would prefer these won't (PortMaster need golden Plates perhaps?) but when I try to understand Gold as odd Kind of Alloy for Iron to make better Steel than that sounds more reasonable to me. Would take Chrom and/or Nickel for due to Resistance against Corrosion by salty SeaWater. Gold as special HighValue-Resource in large Quantities onside StartingMaterials would enable ALL basic Options the Game and thus eleminate for Speculation and Consideration what Way that Reserves gets invested: Get "there" first and get Advantage by larger more autark Colony-Size/Capabilties or come later with trained Army. Doubling Gold is a large Step into Direction of 'all that you need'. So I suggest to consider make special Start-Gold-Setting and offer 4 to 8 Units Gold to be on safe Side as decreasing from any over-increased Value like perhaps 12 would cause serios Trouble from Players ("You can not take my Gold, Dudes!")

I did you Analysis as well and figured out that with 6 Gold exist Option to build two Ports and one Update for TrainSite resp without Update for a 3rd Port. With BackThoughts like I wrote in https://wl.widelands.org/forum/post/9729/ about actual Obviousity in Maps that if there is a PortSpace than there are also all necessary Resources the Player need or MapDesign would be wrong makes IMO the Game less interesting to play as then it is rather clear how the other Players HAVE TO play, to stay competive in Expansion makes playing a Map more stereotype than necessary.

I consider 4 Gold as to be rather tight, would embrace 6 Gold and don't know should I be happy about 8 Gold but most Flexibility in that really serious Issue would be to make at least that single Resource customizable. With 6 Gold you can build two Ports and got Reserve for a 2nd Colony OR invest in Upgrade of Military-Site to gain Advantage for given/available Soldiers. Fully trained Solider vs untrained Soldier means to be a very clear Advantage with very likely Likelhood for Soldier to win a Combat..Duell. With 8 Gold I won't actually not balance a Lot Time Ideas about Map but build as quick as can a TraninSite that is driven by Food and not Steel. So I can give Code Green for 6 Gold and more IF (read https://wl.widelands.org/forum/post/9729/ about Issue Exploration/Expedition to determine Resources before colonizing) there exist large Possibilities that a Player won't may NOT build 2nd and 3rd Port in competive Environemnt (emty Nuts) than a larger Amount of Gold seems to be reasonable. Run for the Gold - where is it? What do you mean about that Points?

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote