Latest Posts

Topic: first time feedback

letsdance
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2013-09-06, 11:27

this is a great project and i am grateful you're doing it as open source. my feedback is not intended to cause or express any negative feelings, but a tool to help you further improving the game.

i had a build 14 installed on my PC (and i'm pretty sure i had downloaded older versions as well), but i think i never played it. i just installed the build 17 and tried. i loved the old settler games (i preferred 1 over 2 actually) and i don't mind if a game has a steep learning curve. but there are so many inconveniences in widelands, that i will probably quit before i even started.

1. font size... this is my biggest problem and the one that kills the game for me. i am using a 24" screen and 1920x1080 resolution. the font in the in game text windows is so small, i have to get close to my screen to read it. it makes the tutorial cumbersome, and in the campaign in can't read the objectives. well i could, but i'm not really motivated to, and i know my eyes would start to hurt after 30 mins (i know because i had the same problem with battle for wesnoth, but there i found a good resolution). other screen resolutions don't work well with my screen. 640x480 would, but then i hardly see more than my castle in game. the high resolution is great on the main map, except for the font size. since most people use higher resolutions than 640x480 nowadays, and the font size seems to be fine in 640.480, i suggest to double the standard font size for ingame windows. that probably means the whole window size should be doubled. at least for resolutions that are at least double that of 640x480. that shouldn't be too hard to implement. or give us an option to change font size.

2. zoom. 640x480 might be playable if i could zoom. but if #1 is fixed, i don't care about a zoom function.

3. game speed. is there a way to change game speed? in solo games it would be nice if i could change game speed. it was one of the weak points in settlers that sometimes i had to leave the game running to collect resources for a few hours while i slept. slow game speed (or pausing) would be nice for planning.

4. campaigns. i see only one campaign when i hit the "campaigns" button. is that correct? are there other campaigns downloadable anywhere? (i just see a MAPs section). i would love to play a campaign that has maps of increasing difficulty (no story needed). the campaign just seems to be another tutorial anyways.

5. building cost. i need to see what the buildings cost to be built. currently i don't, altough i read in an old thread that some building cost preview is implemented, but i don't see them. i would prefer to choose the buildings from a list (icon could still be there but not needed or can be optional) that also shows me the costs.

6. building information in general. how do i see what a building does before i build it? i don't even know if i need a wood hardener (barbarian) in order to use the wood that my lumberjack cut, or not. just a simple "needs" and "produces" information in game would be good.

7. hotkeys. Esc should open the menu, when you are on the main screen and it has no other function. give me a key to confirm dialogs (instead of hitting o.k. button with mouse) - i tried enter and space but they not working.

i do realize many of these things are not an issue for people who know the game well, but i assume you want to attract new players as well, don't you?

Edited: 2013-09-06, 11:28

Top Quote
Tino

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-09-06, 12:19

Hi and welcome to the Widelands community!

What platform do you play on? Windows or Linux? Head over to the Download section and try one of the development builds...

1. and 2.) Build 18 will come with a much improved font renderer. But i think your main problem is, that you are fixed on only 2 resolutions. Widelands should allow you to set any resolution from 800x600 to the maximum what your driver allows. I can choose between at least 15 configurations on my system and this doubles because you can run WL in windows or fullscreen mode. Perhaps your graphics adapter reports wrong resolutions?

2. Use PageUp and PageDown to set the game speed as fast or slow you want to play

4.) At the moment there are 3 campaigns with 3/2/2 missions. But you have to finish them in order to be allowed to select the next mission/campaign.

5.) Building cost is implemented as tool tip/mouseover in current dev builds.

6.) You'll find all this information here in the Wiki and also ingame (book symbol). The ingame help is of course not perfect (= table based) because it is really difficult to show diagrams which present the ware flow. But those are available in the wiki.

7.) Hot Keys are explained in the ingame Readme section, available from the main menu. Your suggestions about beeing able to hit Enter or Space to confirm dialogs throughout the game in a consistent fashion are good. The is really something we should implement.

Have fun playing WL and don'T hesitate to post suggestions here and/or bug reports!

Top Quote
letsdance
Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2013-09-06, 14:24

hi,

thx for the infos. i didn't try pageup/down for speed, just some other keys (+/- would be my natural choice). i am playing on windows. i have tons of possible resolutions to choose from, but most just give a black border outside. i guess my screen has 1920 pixels width, and when i choose 1600 pixels, it simply leaves 320 outside blank. that doesn't help me any with font sizes. 640 works because 640*3 = 1920.

campaigns: why only in order? i know settlers, i don't really need to start with a tutorial campaign. but given the size it doesn't matter anyways. guess i'll just stick to maps, there seem to be many =)

i'll have a look at the readme. i was just looking for hotkeys in the game options (most games have them there).

i try to avoid dev builds when i play a game for the first time. maybe i'll just wait for build 18.

dance!

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-09-06, 16:23

I can remember, that Esc button was closing opened (and active) window in the Settlers II. That was easy way to delete a new message: n-> del-> esc. Less than 0.5 sec to do that face-wink.png Now I have to click: n-> del-> left-mouse-click.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
fk
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-09-06, 18:42

einstein13: The 'n' key opens AND closes the messages box.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-09-06, 20:01

Oh face-smile.png Thank you! This will help! face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote