Latest Posts

Topic: Option zero in configure economy menu

fk
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-08-21, 20:44

Sometimes the toolsmith produces a fishing rod when there is no fishing water, a hunting spear when there are no animals or other tools that will never be used. This can be a waste of time and resources if some other tool is needed quickly.

The configure economy menu could in my opinion become a stronger tool if it allows the user to decrease target values down to zero. I wonder what others think about this and/or if there are any complications.

Top Quote
Adamant

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-08-22, 09:34

I would relocate the Eco-Menu from the Flag to the WareHouse(s) as these are as well representant for the specific Economy like the Flags. At the Flags I consider these Options to be hidden due to it's not easy to recognize that these Options are not a SubSet of those you can find at WareHouses but complementary. However, I miss that Feature as well as I got always Trouble to disable Production for StartingMaterials for new Soldiers as if I place a WareHouse I don't want to do first all Settings to avoid Production of more weak Soldiers but want to invest into UpGrade of existing Soldiers. Place another WareHouse and wonder why there are 20 new Soldiers and then search for the Source. There miss any Kind of Control for that Abstraction-Level: disabling Production of a specific WareType -- blocking all suited/necessary InPuts/OutPuts does not looks reasonable to me. It's like locking Kitchen and Toilet to disable Eating. Aside of On/Off of Production of WareType a ProductionRate would be usefull: perhaps it's fine to produce one Soldier in 5 Minutes as some Kind of EnForcement or BackUp and/or define Unit-Limits like for Wares. What's the easiest Way? The correct Way - not the Way of smallest Patch! I wonder how the Smithy can forge FishingRods. Anytime there was a Carpenter but afaik he went in Favor for the Smithy. Getting back the Carpenter parallel to the Smithy would IMO make Eco more interesting. How about Meta/Metrics for Tribes/Maps like Map is suited for Tribe-Version v1.2 <= Lvl < 2.0 resp Metrics like Tribe require Territory-Size resp Eco-Size A and Map provide Eco-Size per Starting-Position. For special Matters like a Campaign where you have to build a special Eco just to be able to colonize another Island to get there the missing Territory and Resources these Informations are not sufficient -- there need to be any Kind of Attributes like MP-Match-Suitability to filter for and if Filter disabled a Warning if Map get selected nevertheless. Looks stupid if Players need to edit a File resp change a Bool to true to play the Map and Map works fine then only because the Map-Designer thought different about that Point. Thinking different is IMO alright. However - real WL-Players won't give up here and fumble with Editors etc instead playing! The Map would appear in DownLoad-Section as another Derivate with any other minor Change. face-wink.png

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote
fk
Topic Opener
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2013-08-22, 10:27

Adamant, I think that your post is somewhat confusing me. If you need more than 3 sentences than you may not have a point.

"I would relocate the Eco-Menu from the Flag to the WareHouse(s) as these are as well representant for the specific Economy like the Flags."

You can click on the flag in front of the warehouse.

Top Quote
Adamant

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2013-08-22, 14:04

fk wrote:

I would relocate the Eco-Menu from the Flag to the WareHouse(s) as these are as well representant for the specific Economy like the Flags."

You can click on the flag in front of the warehouse.

That's not the same and you did anyway oversee something. consider next Lines:

Adamant, I think that your post is somewhat confusing me. If you need more than 3 sentences than you may not have a point.

Please try to apply your Generelization: www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmanis/kant/critique-pure-reason6x9.pdf
Can you explain me your Point some more? face-smile.png

Ivan the Terrible is dead .. Genghis Khan is dead .. and I do not feel well, too.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-08-25, 18:42

fk wrote:

The configure economy menu could in my opinion become a stronger tool if it allows the user to decrease target values down to zero. I wonder what others think about this and/or if there are any complications.

Hi fk,

I suggested the same some time ago and already implemented a kind of fix shortly before the release of Build 17. Unfortunally it did not work out the way it was supposed to work, so I removed it again before release of Build17.

The bug is still open: Bug 861761

Top Quote