Latest Posts

Topic: Win Conditions

teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-08-08, 06:57

I have been thinking, that it would be nice if it was possible to tailor a win condition for a map.

In other words, I think that it should be possible to include a win condition into a map. Currently, with expeditions possible but naval battles and naval assaults not, stalemates could easily happen. Making the map a scenario is a kind of work-around, but is that a good substitute for a tailored win condition? To me it seems like if it was not, but then maybe I just failed to read the wl-lua api right?

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-08-08, 09:08

What I thought about in the last time was, to change the behaviour of the "play as scenario" checkbox in the map select menu - at the moment the default value is OFF, so if you select a scenario map you need to manually set it (and reset if you switch to a non scenario map and back to a scenario map afterwards). However if there is a scenario (either single- or multiplayer) the map creator obviously saw that scenario as the "main way to play" - so I think it should be a good idea to set the checkbox to ON by default.

If that was the case, you would automatically have the win condition you would like the players to play by default, if included as script (and you can even use the lua script to just write a wrapper for loading another "real" win condition).

Another way would be to add an "default_win_condition=" to the "elemental" file of the map - however the question would be: how to handle that entry - really loading that win condition? This could lead to confussion e.g. if in a multi player game the players already selected their wished win condition, but are not yet sure about the win condition... but as soon as they switch the map...

Or just adding an entry to the menu "suggested win condition" ?

Maybe we could even color the win condition button and add a hover text, if a "default_win_condition=" is set. E.g. the next is green, if the win condition currently set equals the default_win_condition and red/orange else + the hover text would show a "Warning, this is not the suggested win condition for this map" text in front of the win condition description.

Pre last we could create special win conditions that can only be used if the map has at least two port build spaces OR we could alter the existing win conditions to behave different if the map is a seafaring map.

However the real goal will still be to finally implement "opponent island take over".

Wow, that was quite a brain storming ... and I fear I still did not answer your question :-D, did I? ...

looking forward to your answers face-smile.png

Top Quote
teppo

Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2013-08-08, 12:07

This could lead to confussion e.g. if in a multi player game the players already selected their wished win condition, but are not yet sure about the win condition... but as soon as they switch the map...

At least when I start a new game, I have to first select a map, and choose the win condition later, in a select-tribe screen. Does it work differently for you?

Having the most suitable map as default sound good to me; if the player is interested in win conditions, he will override.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2013-08-08, 15:59

teppo wrote:

This could lead to confussion e.g. if in a multi player game the players already selected their wished win condition, but are not yet sure about the win condition... but as soon as they switch the map...

At least when I start a new game, I have to first select a map, and choose the win condition later, in a select-tribe screen. Does it work differently for you?

In singleplayer it's the same, but in multiplayer the problem exists as you can switch between the game lobby and the map select menu face-smile.png

Top Quote