Latest Posts

Topic: limitless water supply

tosz

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-09-06, 01:10

Please, keep the water supply limitless! If I understand correctly what I read in some other posts, it is planned to make this resource finite. Or perhaps I don't get something right.

First, an aesthetic argument (maybe other people feel the same about this). It feels so nice, when you know that most of the economy will keep on running even after stone and metals/minerals are depleted. You cannot expand any more etc., but at least the settlement is still alive.

And a more important argument. On most maps, where water is plenty, depleting water in one place would just end up in rebuilding a well somewhere else -- this wouldn't add anything interesting, since wells are small and don't have any special requirements to work. It would be just annoying to have to rebuild them every now and then. On the other hand, there are maps where the water shortage is intended to enforce careful handling of this resource. But isn't it better to achieve this by setting up areas with no water at all, and in places where water occurs making its production effective only at some percentage of attempts, so it takes longer time to produce water (similarly to the case of depleted mines).

Edited: 2012-09-07, 10:51

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-09-06, 09:52

I could not find a post where the limitation of water has been discussed. Can you post a link to the source?

I agree with you and I think that water should not be limited. Currently, wells use the water in the ground (different for the terrain types). When this water is exhausted, the wells have a chance of 65% to find water. This number corresponds to the 5% chance with that an empty mine finds resources. I think this number is too high and it should be dependant on the terrain type (65% in grassland, 50% in the steppe, 30% in desert or something like that). Then water would still be infinite, but it makes a difference if the well is in desert or on grass.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
tosz

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-09-07, 09:39

All right! : ) I read about water and wells here http://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/800/ and apparently I over interpreted what I saw there. Someone said that

> "... the devs decided to make water an infinite ressource (or so). It's better this way *for now*. Getting water was a huge problem some builds ago."

This "for now" lead me to think that there are going to be some changes made later or at least it is not decided yet whether water will stay limitless or not.

Top Quote