Latest Posts

Topic: New Win Condition Sugestion

Zeak
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-10, 09:26

I have a new win condition Suggestion I am willing to help with the visual side of things if someone can give me a hand. Monument.

The plan is taken from the original age of empires/ star wars gbg/ empire earth ect. The plan is to build a players monument. the other condition is there be only one area on the map that it can be built so then you can either attack the opposing players and aim for their HQ or go for the central part of the map to build the monument. I looked at the other buildings in the tribes area and came across the size bigger called huge. If you make it buildable in only one spot in the Centre of the map it would make for the ultimate mp game.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-04-10, 09:59

Hi Zeak,

your idea sounds very interesting. I doubt though, that a "huge" buildspace would be needed. I think it would be enough to make the monument almost incredible expensive (like 50 gold, a lot of stone, a lot of wood, etc. pp.) and make it unprotected for itself, so that the player that builds the monument has to care about a very strong military presence around the monument as well. The place the monument is build does not matter that much, as the player building the monument would be under attack of a lot of players anyways + I suggest to not count teams in this win condition, so there is no team victory.

Top Quote
Zeak
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-10, 10:51

Thanks Nasenbaer,

I had intended that with the materials required as it would take a long time to build. I had a rethink of the idea of the monument using the upgrade function. Build the monument in steps. A strong military presence would be needed of course the only issues I could see with building a monument anywhere could be the fact that a player starts it straight off the bat. Is it possible to code that all players can see another players monument during construction? I am looking at the conf flies of some of the other buildings now and this would probably be a good feature if its at all possible. I have had a look at a few buildings to get an idea of what to have for each tribe. The empire is easy. The temple of Zeus although I considered using the victor monument in Bangkok as a starting point just manipulating it for each tribe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Monument,_Bangkok

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-04-10, 11:13

Zeak wrote: the only issues I could see with building a monument anywhere could be the fact that a player starts it straight off the bat.

This could be prevented through a conditional like only allowing to build the monument after the owned area reached a certain amount of fields. Or only after the requiered amount of wares to build the momument is available... this should be discussed of course.

Is it possible to code that all players can see another players monument during construction? I am looking at the conf flies of some of the other buildings now and this would probably be a good feature if its at all possible.

Jepp that quite easily done.

• The win condition just has to check whether a new monument is under construction every x seconds.
  • if there is one, it fetches it's coordinates and:
  • sends a message to all other players with those coordinates, so they can directly go there by clicking on the "go to" button in the message menu and
  • reveals the area around the monument (like a radius of 3 or 4)

So this is something you can't change in the conf file, but quite easily with the lua coding of the win condition

Top Quote
Zeak
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-10, 11:29

Ok it seems to be a load easier then most games to mod and that good. Like you have said with the win condition lua (I am about to take a look at) I am also looking at the game type for example castle village and headquarters medium for the empire. I am working on the first images of the building so Ill hopefully have them up shortly. I take it most of the lua code is in the wiki. I wouldn't mind having a look through it myself. I remember the good old days of having to rush to defeat your opponent as fast as possible to destroy there wonder. Is it also possible to add a condition of time once the building is finished but it seems we are on the right track here.

Top Quote
simplypeachy

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-04-13, 23:10

I have to say this is a great idea! Having a goal like this would be an enjoyable challenge...and something to use all of the wares that the player amasses!

WARNING: New-style view packet not found. There may be strange effects regarding unseen areas.
_aD on IRC

Top Quote
Zeak
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-04-14, 13:57

Ok so I have attempted to create one of the buildings shown here with the full build cycle.

http://www.brookeden.org/widelands/wonder.gif

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-04-16, 09:07

I suggest making this a multiplayer scenario instead of a win condition. As far as I am concerned, we already have too many from them and most are very rarely played.

Top Quote
SiriusGrey

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2012-07-09, 15:48

SirVer wrote: I suggest making this a multiplayer scenario instead of a win condition. As far as I am concerned, we already have too many from them and most are very rarely played.

I just found this thread since i wanted to make the exact same suggestion as the original poster. I've played several win conditions with a friend in MP, and this one would be another nice, (maybe) peaceful alternative to other win conditions. A multiplayer scenario would IMHO unnnecessarily tie this to a specific map.

OTOH, a MP scenario could require that the Monument is built at a specific place, which would also make for an interesting game.

Top Quote
Zeak
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-07-10, 08:35

SiriusGrey wrote:

SirVer wrote: I suggest making this a multiplayer scenario instead of a win condition. As far as I am concerned, we already have too many from them and most are very rarely played.

I just found this thread since i wanted to make the exact same suggestion as the original poster. I've played several win conditions with a friend in MP, and this one would be another nice, (maybe) peaceful alternative to other win conditions. A multiplayer scenario would IMHO unnnecessarily tie this to a specific map. OTOH, a MP scenario could require that the Monument is built at a specific place, which would also make for an interesting game.

I agree. I am a little tied down with work at the moment but have some idea of a building for the empire. I had a few questions like How many build images can you have in the build cycle?

I was planning an making it one colosal building as apose to one small one that way it will really stand out.

The other idea was a player monumental fortress all looking close in design but having different textures.

Top Quote