Latest Posts

Topic: small boats

freem

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-07-05, 21:03

Are there some boats like those in settlers 1?

In short, for those who does not know the first settlers, you are able to "draw" paths on watter, but they are limited: _ they have a limited size (3 points on water) _ they can not be used to transport people _ they need boats

But they also have advantages: _ because they are on water, the path can not be used for anything else _ boat's drivers are a little faster than footmen, because water is always flat _ water can sometimes be thin and long. In such situations, boats are very useful to fasten wares transportation

I often use water borders to create paths. They are long, but they are also stable: I never modify them, because it is not possible to create buildings on water (well... maybe it will become some day but I can not imagine which one could be plausible... Maybe some atlanteans specificities?)

But in some occasions, going through water could be a nice shortcut. However, the fact that it is not possible to send people through water combined to distance limitation keep things balanced in my mind.

Another thing with that strategy is not so nice in widelands, because it seem water borders are not always flat (so, it add hard paths to long paths. However I still use it because it allows me to remove things from roads used to connect housewares, and so avoid problems of overusing them face-tongue.png ). This make boats more interesting if water is always flat. It could also be a little more fun, it water is also allowed to not be flat (like in rivers) so it would be possible to have boats faster in a direction than in other...

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-07-06, 09:09

Have a look in the thread Seafaring. Yes, I know, it’s long but I think it can answer your questions.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote