Latest Posts

Topic: show building help and path construction layouts over buildings

freem

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-07-03, 08:17

First, sorry to post here, but I am having problems to register to launchpad (it says that the registration page is too old to be usable or something like that... "Votre page était inutilisée" \ "Toutes nos excuses, la page d'où vous venez est un peu vieille.[...]" so I can not use it to report bugs or ideas face-confused.png )

Now, about the subject. When you are trying to build a path behind big buildings (say, a fortress), you have to guess if it is possible or not, because indicators are drawn under the buildings. I guess that the building layout is the last one to be drawn, and so it hides every helps the player might have enabled.

Out of this subject (but a little related to buildings anyway), I have suggestions for bug report 999181 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/999181). In short, add a minimum distance between military buildings. It will avoid the AI to flood it's territory with empty military buildings. I am not sure for settlers II, but for settlers I, this rule exists (maybe they have faced the same problem face-wink.png ).

PS: I have discovered widelands since many times, and always took an eye on it sporadically - because I really like settlers (and the first one, for some reasons I do not entirely remember) - and recently I have found that build 17. The work made is pretty huge, the game is much more stable than when I discovered it and I can at least play a settlers like game with decent controls. So, thanks a lot.

Edited: 2012-07-03, 08:27

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-07-03, 20:52

Hi, freem and welcome to the forums. I am not sure why Launchpad registration didn't work out for you, maybe try a while again later?

I agree it can be a bit annoying trying to build roads "behind" large buildings. However, most of the time I just click where I want the road to end and then it will find a way if one can be made. I think showing the indicators on top of buildings would look rather out of place though. I guess an alternative would be to display the building in question (partly) transparent when there is something interesting going on behind it, though I fear that might require significant effort from the developers.

Ships!

Top Quote
freem

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2012-07-05, 14:52

I just made another try with IE instead of opera, and it seem it works. I guess changes in configuration I made with opera on each computer I use block something...

About transparency of buildings, it might be a good idea. The work needed will probably to change the alpha channel of buildings located near enough the point where the actual road is... No idea about difficulties, I did not look at the code but I guess widelands is quite complex face-smile.png

Top Quote