Topic: Expanding territory

flipflipsen

Topic Opener
Version: 1.2
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-07-03, 13:29

Hi,

If I expand my territory by building a military building, and later on destroy that military building, the expanding of the territory still exists. Would it be better, at destroying a military building, to reduce the territory also.

I know, that is the case in settlers. I sometimes destroyed a military building bij accident, and all the buildings in the area also were destroyed. In widelands, all buildings stay intact.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-07-03, 14:10

And you really prefer it that way? face-wink.png

The current behaviour is on purpose. The question is: Why should you lose land as long as nobody else claims it?

You already should know there are differences between Settlers and Widelands. This is one of them. face-smile.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
flipflipsen

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-07-03, 15:23

Shure I know there are differences. But you need a military building to expand, and if you demolish that building, you dont loose the land. In that way, you can expand your land by building just one military building. Build a military building, and after expanding, demolish it and build the next one and so on.

I have no problem with that, I just wanted to know if it was ment that way.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-07-03, 16:40

In that case: Yes, it was meant that way. face-grin.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2012-07-03, 21:08

Note that you can keep expanding with "a single" building, but there is one drawback with it. When you (or another player) build a military buildings, it will conquer all the land within that building's radius except the land which is already within an existing military building's radius. I.e. if an opponent builds a castle next to your border, he's going to grab a huge chunk of land for free. With few military buildings defending the borders or an attack from an unexpected direction, you can easily lose a lot of land due to enemy expansion because you can't build up your defenses fast enough.

So while you may be able to expand rapidly (especially with dismantling and reuse of materials face-smile.png ), will you be able to maintain your kingdom once you run into enemies?

I do have to admit I was surprised to not lose the surrounding area the first time I demolished a military building though, so this might not be obvious at first to people who have previously played the Settlers games.

Ships!

Top Quote
flipflipsen

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2012-07-04, 17:38

Oke, I understand.

Well, I'm playing with seafaring. Now I know this, I don not need so many military buildings to expand.

The way I work is the following: I edit a map were I can mark a couple of places were to build a Port.

After saving the game, I start a new game with that map. Then I start with no opponents. First I build a Port. Then I expand as soon as possible to the second place were I can build a Port. When the second Port is build, I demolish all the military buildings between the two Ports.

Then I build a Shipyard, and start to play normally. In this way I can play and learn how seafaring is working. I must say, seafaring is very nice and work well.

Top Quote