Latest Posts

Topic: Building roads in woods

BeniH

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-05-18, 10:05

Hello, i noticed that its not possible to build roads through forests. This effectively cuts off possible building positions i already can build. It would be nice, if players could build roads (only road tile, no flags) on tree positions, so at least people and goods can flow through the forest.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-18, 11:04

Definitely no, BeniH face-smile.png
The blocking feature of trees (and stones) is an indispensible element for
map makers and campagne designers. It is a good way to "keep off" the enemy for a certain time.
Due to the auto-seeding of trees, the clearings will soon overgrow which multiplies the benefit
of a fast and consequent land acquisition and some hardy lumberjack.
You will need to clear the landscape anyhow, in order to build new military buildings - so only a road
will usually not help you.
Sometimes it may help to use the "auto connect" feature (CTRL+LMB) - it often found ways to connect, that I had ruled out.
Otherwise Built a lumberjack near your border an let him clear the forrest for the next sentry or so.
He will clear a wider range, than you actually need.
Once you have your houses and roads built, you can plant a new forrest (or have it re-grow naturely).
Trees won't spread onto the roads.
Having said that, you can build a road through a forrest .... with a lot of patience face-smile.png
Trees have a life cycle of their own in WL. Once they die, they are transformed to "dead trees" that do not block
road building. So, waiting for your trees to die, you can build a road step by step. But be warned - some species
have a very long lifespan!

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
BeniH

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-05-18, 12:02

Okay!

Top Quote
Junke1990

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-05-19, 23:12

what about water roads, they were in Settlers 2 if I Remember correctly

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-05-20, 10:19

They were, but they were hardly useful as they could only transport wares. We have discussed them on widelands before, but so far, no decision about how and if they should be supported.

Top Quote
BeniH

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-05-20, 10:35

Settlers-I had them already, and they were of course useful. They could save the citizens lots of time and however it is true that they could only transport wares in settlers, this must not be true for widelands. Empty ships could maybe used as ferry boat which would be cool! If this is not possible, transporting goods via water roads would be better than transporting nothing at all.

Top Quote